The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Where have all our garden birds gone?

DDolfelin

Mornin' all,

We're having regular 'good bird days' at the moment with around 40 of numerous species in our relatively small garden at any one time. Of course, this attracts the attention of the local sparrowhawk and the resultant associated chaos. I found a female chaffinch expired adj. to a conservatory window yesterday and surmised that emergency flight due to the sparrowhawk arriving suddenly led to a speedy impact with the glass. 

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

We have a lot of second broods eating us out of house and home at the moment, mostly chaffinches and greenfinches. We also have a lot of young magpies, this fellow looked very sorry for himself this morning. When he hadn't moved for ten minutes, I went out to check on him. Happily he flew away. It looks as though SWMBO spilt the bird seed this morning!

post-7952-0-27602800-1408873430_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Anyone able to identify what this was hovering over Didcot at about lunchtime today?

attachicon.gifP1040854.JPG

attachicon.gifP1040855.JPG

Kestrel?

Keith

EDIT Tail is wrong. Try Red Kite:

http://www.rspb.org.uk/community/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Discussions.Components.Files/13609/5025.20100528_5F00_252.JPG

Edited by melmerby

• RMweb Gold

Seen lots of Red Kites recently at Didcot, looks like a red kite to me John, forked tail the giveaway - images just a little dark to see the white underwing patches that would be the clincher but 99% sure.

Neil

• RMweb Premium

Cheers for the ID. The missus and I were heading for the cafe when I looked up and saw it. Zoomed in quite some distance and hoped for the best!

Basically if you see a soaring Raptor around your way it is either a Buzzard ( quite fat looking body, with wide wings with 'fingers' at the ends and fan tail) or Red Kite (slimmer with not so wide wings and a V tail that it tips and shapes to help give it direction/height change) . 

If you get the chance to watch both for a while (together would be good wouldn't it!!) then you will see what I'm on about.

Now, of course, having said that, what you see will be a different type of Buzzard and possibly a Red Legged Falcon!

Whatever, they all look beautiful.

Phil

• RMweb Premium

Basically if you see a soaring Raptor around your way it is either a Buzzard ( quite fat looking body, with wide wings with 'fingers' at the ends and fan tail) or Red Kite (slimmer with not so wide wings and a V tail that it tips and shapes to help give it direction/height change) . 

If you get the chance to watch both for a while (together would be good wouldn't it!!) then you will see what I'm on about.

Now, of course, having said that, what you see will be a different type of Buzzard and possibly a Red Legged Falcon!

Whatever, they all look beautiful.

Phil

Not forgetting the Sparrowhawk which seems to be the predominant raptor in this neck of the woods.

• 1 month later...

We aren't going to see these in UK gardens anytime soon - but I thought those of us with an ornithological interest might enjoy this link - sent to me by a friend in Canada.

These are truly fabulous! You may also enjoy some of the other links

http://www.komar.org/faq/travel/hummingbirds/nest/

Edited by shortliner

• RMweb Premium

Not forgetting the Sparrowhawk which seems to be the predominant raptor in this neck of the woods.

I don't know about other raptors but sparrowhawks take pigeons and then sit on a convenient location and pluck them.

I can always tell when the wood pigeon numbers have reduced by one in our garden when there are pigeon feathers everywhere!

A fox by comparison will take it's prize away from where it caught it.

Keith

• RMweb Gold

Just bought another large sack of peanuts for the Devon birds, having run out earlier this month. Normally the feeder is emptied in a day, and only a fraction has been consumed since Friday. I assume the abundance of autumnal fruits has meant less requirement of the birds to visit gardens at the moment.

Neil