The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Where have all our garden birds gone?

DDolfelin

Yellow wagtail at Winchester City Mill 31/05/09. Apologies for the quality, it was at max zoom on my Fuji compact.

Pete

Nice photo of a nice bird Pete, but it's not a yellow wagtail - it's a grey (grey back and white throat). rather more common than it's yellow cousin, but still a very good bird to see.

DSC_7213a600x429_zps3c7011f1.jpg

photo of a male yellow wagtail at Titchwell (Norfolk) -  I also have to apologise for the quality, a small bird a long way away, even with a 500mm lens!

Chaz

Edited by chaz

Thousands more worldwide.

Mostly of sparrows.

I was hoping the 'Quiz' would give me a few clues about the subjects.

This is not a purely GB forum so maybe those fancies can be identified elsewhere.

• RMweb Premium

Warmest day of the year so far and the swifts are really flying now

6 or 7 flying in a group. Possibly a family?

About time to, they have not been seen  about much this year so far.

They were late arriving and seem to be fewer in number than usual.

Keith

Edited by melmerby

• RMweb Gold

A black headed gull at Cragside in Northumberland today.

Cragside is now a National Trust property but used to belong to Lord Armstrong of Armstrongs works in Newcastle.  His garden covers several hundred acres!

post-5613-0-98642000-1371658983_thumb.jpg

David

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Off topic but ...

We are lucky enough to have some ancient woodland here.

On a brief walk I managed to get a pic of a Speckled Wood Butterfly (not common here).

attachicon.gifSpeckledWoodNantglynSA.jpg

Wonderful - a chocolate and cream butterfly. Must have been built at Swindon?

Phil

• RMweb Gold

Cragside is now a National Trust property but used to belong to Lord Armstrong of Armstrongs works in Newcastle.  His garden covers several hundred acres!

Just think of the wonderful model railway you could get in a garden that size!

Wonderful - a chocolate and cream butterfly. Must have been built at Swindon?

Phil

Maybe.

Annoyingly, I see it all the time from the Studio window (I can see it now) but, short of nailing it to a fence, I don't think I'm ever going to get a decent shot of him or his missus.

They are feeding young in the box but it's not practicable to ambush them with the camera.

Yesterday we were sitting in the Sun Room and it flew onto the glass roof for a succulent fly.

• RMweb Premium

Maybe.

Annoyingly, I see it all the time from the Studio window (I can see it now) but, short of nailing it to a fence, I don't think I'm ever going to get a decent shot of him or his missus.

They are feeding young in the box but it's not practicable to ambush them with the camera.

Yesterday we were sitting in the Sun Room and it flew onto the glass roof for a succulent fly.

Strange behaviour for a butterfly :jester:

Keith

I've seen a real mystery bird over the last couple of days.

We live at about 460m, surrounded by all the rural ingredients, about 12-15 miles from the coast.

Woodland, grazing land, moorland close by, sparse habitation, hedgerows, gorse etc.,.

Vagrant birds are not unknown.

Only very brief glimpses so far.

About the size of a pigeon.

Mostly white - some darker markings.

Very fast wing beats (think puffin).

Flies short distances from woodland to woodland.

Crude sketch below but it may not be accurate for wing or short tail shape.

Blunt head (like an owl).

Maybe a newly fledged bird to account for fast wing beats?

post-7041-0-76386000-1371726309.jpg

No prizes but help with possible suspects would be appreciated.

• RMweb Gold

I've seen a real mystery bird over the last couple of days.

We live at about 460m, surrounded by all the rural ingredients, about 12-15 miles from the coast.

Woodland, grazing land, moorland close by, sparse habitation, hedgerows, gorse etc.,.

Vagrant birds are not unknown.

Only very brief glimpses so far.

About the size of a pigeon.

Mostly white - some darker markings.

Very fast wing beats (think puffin).

Flies short distances from woodland to woodland.

Crude sketch below but it may not be accurate for wing or short tail shape.

Blunt head (like an owl).

Maybe a newly fledged bird to account for fast wing beats?

attachicon.gifMysteryBird.jpg

No prizes but help with possible suspects would be appreciated.

Hmm - just been watching the One Show getting very excited about a hoopoe. Short broad wings like a woodpecker - barred black and white - with a long pointy bill. Usually migrant overshoots from Europe -  are you South Coast?

Phil

I found a Partridge flegdeling in the road yesterday.Cutest lttle sweetie pie ever  .We live in' Shootin 'territory  .lovely little thing all cute and lively .It had probably been  got left behind by the rest of the brood as I gather mums dont go back looking for them.I did leave it a while and move off but it was still there   20 mins later and would make a perfect raptor  takeaway so I brought it home .Later I took to Wing and a prayer bird sanctuary in Stratton Strawless witha  suitable donation .It was immediately fed some wax worms and perked up a bit so all was well .I didnt take a photo which was stupid as I usually do .

• Like 1

In 1977 a pigeon decided to home in on our garden and stay there. He was so tame I put him in a box and took him some miles away to St.George Village before letting him loose. The rotter got home before me! Caught him skate birding...I thought he was taking the p*ss.....

post-6680-0-91922400-1371834237.jpg

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 2