The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Where have all our garden birds gone?

DDolfelin

• RMweb Gold

Apart from goldfinches and the woodpecker, I have spotted a new furry kind of "bird".

Maybe I should lace the suet and nuts with Red BullTM; that would give the greedy git some wings.

Too scared to tackle him were you..........

Yes....best not go out there......................bigger boys.....bigger boys...

• RMweb Gold

Apart from goldfinches and the woodpecker, I have spotted a new furry kind of "bird".

Maybe I should lace the suet and nuts with Red BullTM; that would give the greedy git some wings.

You could try lacing them with chilli powder. Squirrels hate it, but the birds don't care.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Today's Twitter feed had the furriest "flightless bird" I've yet seen.

Mission: Impossible!

Ah... the Great Grey Tree Rat in both varieties!

Keith

Edited by melmerby

...we occasionally get grey squirrels 'shinning' up the metal poles to our feeders...a little vaseline on the pole provides entertainment for a while and retains the bird food for its target audience. I can't bring myself to shoot them as one of our neighbours has done.

Dave      

Edited by Torr Giffard LSWR 1951-71

Your "War" with the grey menace brought to mind my Dad's attempts to "dissuade" (permanently) the local squirrel population from pilfering his peanuts. He constructed an elaborate (and not a little dangerous) electric device, basically a plate that sat on the bird table with a split down the middle and 240V AC direct to the plate! For some reason (the kind of adaptability that has allowed them to thrive in this country) the little grey nut nickers would not venture onto the table when the device was powered up. So he used to sit beside the switch as and await the pesky yank rodents. He finally did "get" one but the full force of the national grid was only sufficient to make said rodent hop off the plate in pretty quick time. The device was then abandoned. Sciurus carolinensis 1 Home Sapiens 0

And on the subject of garden birdies, I managed to capture this rather lovely Greater Spotted Woodpecker on the feeder at work.

ac_DSCN5171.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

This is my solution for keeping the Corvids off the fat ball feeder.  It is two hemispherical metal hanging baskets, held together by two of the three clips from the wire hangers.  It hinges up to top-up the feeder.  Sorry about the 'messy' background to this photo, it hangs from one of our apple trees.  The white building behind is where my model railway lives!

attachicon.gifP5056591.JPG

You went to a lot of trouble to make something you can buy ready made!

Gardman do one for £9.99 RRP

Keith

Edited by melmerby

....we're being eaten out of house and home by our feathered friends at the mo...niger seed feeder needs filling every other day, sunflower hearts every third day, crushed peanuts every day (grey squirrel seen munching these this morning). The blackbirds in the meantime throw the bark garden dressing across the paths on a daily basis whilst looking for invertebrates to eat.  

Dave

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

First of the known losses in the garden.

One of the Robins had nested in some Ivy in our front garden about 5ft off the ground, returned home on Friday evening (midnight) to find another bl*&$y cat from next door had tipped the nest out and was eating the contents, didn't even move when the car pulled in. I got out and a large handfull of gravel gave it the idea I was not overly keen on it's company.

We think the adult/s got away as we now have the sound of at least one trying to pair up for another go.

Bl*&$y cats..............no collar/bell either.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I counted 45 Red Kites circling near my house recently with similar numbers appearing every day. These lovely birds are becoming a pest as their breeding appears to be out of control and they no longer a rare sight in East Berkshire.

XF

How are they a pest ?

They feed on roadkill, carrion and the detritus left by man, contrary to popular myth they do not try and snatch small dogs or children, they are barely able to lift off the ground with the weight of a small rodent. they are part of the food chain of nature, unfortunately in the past we interfered with that chain.............sorry we still do....

They have yet to recover to former numbers.

• Like 3

I wonder why we feel the urge to control the numbers of various species of fauna when we clearly cannot control our own species growth and therefore take more from the planet than nature can replace?

• Like 9

.....the ecological pyramid will form if we don't interfere. Something (besides us) must have controlled raptor populations historically....are there any lessons to learn by looking at red kite populations in areas of the world where humans haven't altered their natural development?

Dave

• Like 1

But back to the OP question: in my fruit cage would seem to be the answer. Since the nets went back on a fortnight past, I cannot recall a season when I have had to release so many birds. Blackbird, titmice various, dunnock, greenfinch, nuhatch, robin. (Clearly there are a couple of holes which I have still to find, already repaired several.) The Blackbirds are feeding young just five yards away, and it has got to the point that the male now knows to fly straight out of the access door I habitually open first, disregarding my nearby presence.

....sticking with the OP. If I were a migratory bird with many places to choose from, then on an annual basis I would select the direction to fly in which maximised my opportunities to feed, breed and generally have a fruitful life. As a country we are in hot competition with many others for the attentions of these lovely creatures but based on the couple of hours which I've just spent relaxing at the bottom of the garden, watching all of the avain activity on offer (as well as what I saw on my cycle ride at 07.00 today)...I'm not too worried about our appeal....but then neither is there a place for complacency. 

Dave  

• RMweb Premium

I think we know one thing, man can be the most arrogant of animals and probably the most destructive.

However, back to birds; I am sorry to report that I believe that the large and local population of H Martins here (36E) have not appeared this year We have 5 or 6 locally to our house in west Retford, but we usually have well over 50. I suspect they are victims of  the horrible weather during migration. Sad.

P