The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Where have all our garden birds gone?

DDolfelin

...if I was a Sparrowhawk I wouldn't waste my time on agile, scrawny, little garden birds....I would target the less agile, meatier pigeons etc.

We do have Sparrowhawks around here and I've only seen them take pigeons.

Cheers

Dave

• RMweb Premium

...if I was a Sparrowhawk I wouldn't waste my time on agile, scrawny, little garden birds....I would target the less agile, meatier pigeons etc.

We do have Sparrowhawks around here and I've only seen them take pigeons.

Cheers

Dave

I've seen a sparrowhawk trying for small songbirds, but as you say they are too nimble and dart into the hedge, where the hawk cannot go. The hawk gave up after 10-15 mins of these "now you you see me now you don't" games.

They have taken at least one Blackbird though.

Wood pigeons (no feral ones here) being much bigger, might be more difficult, though more rewarding?

I used to live about 3/4 mile from here and it was only feral pigeons we got in the garden (I wonder why?) and a sparrowhawk would sit on the privet outside the kitchen window plucking it's catch. - feathers everywhere!

Keith

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Wood pigeons (no feral ones here) being much bigger, might be more difficult, though more rewarding?

Keith

A wood Pigeon is fair game for a Female Sparrowhawk but a bit too big for a male. Collared Doves are definately on the menu in our garden with one gone only a few days ago.

We have 3 pairs of Blue Tits now nesting in boxes around the garden, and on Saturday morning we had 4 Blackcaps (very unusual) mooching about.

As for grey squirrels eating eggs and chicks............fraid not, it's man and cats they have the greatest effect on bird numbers.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Squirrels have a huge impact here, Chris/Dave.

Not as much as cats/hawks/magpies perhaps but significant.

From what I have read there can be small pockets of behaviour such as this, but on the whole it is man and the moggie that has the greatest effct on nature.

For instance we have no squirrels or magpies where we are, what we do have is an abundance of cats, cats and more bloomin cats. Next door to us we have a development of Flats and Masionettes (40) and there are something like 50+ cats in an area about 3 times the size of our garden. The owners seem to have the attitude of throw them out and let them roam. I've managed to keep most out with the help of the hosepipe but every week brings a new one to the area, no collars (maybe chipped ?) or bells that could alert their presence.

Have to admit that poor pet ownership gets on my wick a bit.....

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

A couple of coal tits about (I identified them by their call by listening to a set of BBC wildlife audio files) and there are a pair of lapwings nesting in one of the larger fields just up the road.

Tawny owls out in the evening as well.

Regards

Richard

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

South Devon appears to be the point of arrival for summer migrants.

Close to the garden (well about a mile away) I spotted this pair of swallows this evening on my five mile walk.

post-6925-0-68775000-1366751181.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Jay in the garden this morning.

I have a local jay who loves to walk along my garden railway baseboard until he spots something he can eat. Then he flies down and roots around for a bit, then after a while he's back up on the baseboard scouting around again. Ten out of ten for intelligence there.

Thomas (20 months) is fascinated by the birds.  What is the best type and site of bird table / feeder so he can see them through the window?  Large squirrel population in my corner of Worcestershire but not too many cats.  Not sure about sparrowhawks, wouldn't know one if it built a nest on my head.

• RMweb Premium

Thomas (20 months) is fascinated by the birds.  What is the best type and site of bird table / feeder so he can see them through the window?  Large squirrel population in my corner of Worcestershire but not too many cats.  Not sure about sparrowhawks, wouldn't know one if it built a nest on my head.

Try and get feeders with outer wire cages. This stops the squirrels (and foxes) from getting their teeth into the feeder

I have a nut feeder (for bird peanuts) and a general seed feeder as well as hanging fat balls

Many of these feeders can be mounted on a pole which enhances security further.

Siting them close to hedges is also more re-assuring for the birds as long as an animal in the hedge after the birds can't reach them

Examples: http://www.gardmanwildbirdcare.co.uk/products/feeders?page=3

Most garden centres & DIYs have a selection of different makes and types at varying quality and price.

Keith

Edited by melmerby

• RMweb Premium

Something I have noticed this year is that there seems to be more bird song than last year.

Whether that is because there are more birds, or just better weather, i don't know.

Keith