Β 

CRRofNJ old Terminus at Jersey City

Lasttime I visited this site it was pouring with rain - this time, no precip but the wind was gusting to 45mph.......They are pretty well self-explanatory, any questions please post, 'cos i've run out of time!!!!!

Β 

post-9016-0-47800200-1318723694_thumb.jpg

Β 

post-9016-0-34984500-1318723753_thumb.jpg

Β 

post-9016-0-66467200-1318723797_thumb.jpg

Β 

post-9016-0-19262300-1318723922_thumb.jpg

Β 

post-9016-0-66038500-1318723858_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Inspiring stuff, Pete! Those two painted departure boards bespeak an age when train times didn't get changed by the odd minute or two every year to fine-tune performance over this or that junction! I found a couple of pics to show those trains as they wuzz.

Β 

http://www.google.co...Q9QEwCA&dur=197

Β 

http://www.google.co...=1t:429,r:0,s:0

Ian,

Yes it was a shame that "Crusader" was so damn ugly - and they ought to have got a refund on the "stainless steel"!

Β 

I must remember to take a notebook with me, I've already forgotten which trucks were which - one was on a boxcar the other on a former CRR of NJ "widevision" caboose #904. The decoupling detail was from the boxcar, however. I do believe the the "ride control" was from the boxcar, I'm just not certain.

The big interior of the station is a strange mix of huge, really huge, wooden beams and what looks like wrought iron trusses (but they are probably steel). The last time I was there you could see the rails - now the former r.o.w is a riot of jungle-like weeds and trees. There are some interesting buffers but my Wife made me lose the plot and I didn't get to take a photo of them.

Β 

Anyone visiting NYC can get over the river via WaterTaxi which terminate just up the Hudson by that large, tall, blocklike building in Jersey City - it's a few minutes walk down the "front". The best views of New York are actually from this side of the Hudson.

Β 

Best, Pete.

"Full toe" angle bars were standard on rails 90 lb or less. Any time you see them on a track, that means the track is either, old, small rail or 2nd hand rail or all of the above. I would be willing to be that if they are carried by a rail supplier, they are second hand material.

Β 

And those beams are probably wrought iron, not steel.

Couple of more shots across the waters of the Hudson for the hell of it:

Β 

1. One World Trade Centre (aka Freedom Tower). How far they have got as of yesterday.

2. Shot of Midtown and Empire State and my fav, the Chrysler Building (if you can find it).

post-9016-0-86192300-1318779347_thumb.jpg

Β 

post-9016-0-30303600-1318779478_thumb.jpg

I must remember to take a notebook with me, I've already forgotten which trucks were which - one was on a boxcar the other on a former CRR of NJ "widevision" caboose #904. The decoupling detail was from the boxcar, however. I do believe the the "ride control" was from the boxcar, I'm just not certain.

The Caboose would be the truck w/ Roller Bearing trucks and leaf-springs, leaving the 'Journal Bearing' trucks w/ the Ride Control cast in as the boxcar - many later (1950s+) cabooses had the leaf spring trucks (nice example, 'modern-era' International Car Company Caboose) - apparently it was a smoother ride, meaning less jolting and rough riding in the caboose = less workforce injuries and workman comp payments.

At one point the CNJ Jersey Terminal was considered to house a NJ Railroad Museum (URHS) - would have had to have be more enclosed to prevent salt water from NY Bay corroding the rolling stock), but in the end the museum ended up being...nowhere yet.

Nice stuff Pete...the funny thing is that every time I've been there the wind is blowing like mad too. The CNJ terminal is sort of sad to me...kind of an isolated relic without any sort of rail service. But I'm very happy it's been preserved as part of Liberty State Park, and the views of lower Manhattan are unbeatable. The old DL&W terminal in Hoboken is fun to visit as it's still very active and another jewel from another age.

Mike, I have to be honest and simply say, I don't know.......

Β 

The "Old & Weary" is one of the railroads where i've said to myself that I've got to learn more and just have not got around to it yet. It's interesting to me because i've seen some old photos and some of their trackwork looks almost British i.e. turnouts without being "Loose Heeled". It is a railroad that has some fierce fans!

Β 

Here's a taster to look at: http://www.nyow.org/members/NDBBD/nd_oneida_terminal.pdf

Β 

Best, Pete.

Slightly OT , but was this where the video for the Bee Gees' "Staying Alive" filmed? From what I recall , it featured them walking around a disused railroad station whilst trilling away.

Well, if Pete won't do it, I'll be the one to link to the

- Wiki claims the video was NOT shot in a real railroad terminal, but on a Movie Backlot (well the funky pastel colored damaged buildings do hint at that - a WWII European village set maybe?).
The music video for the song is of a completely different concept to Saturday Night Fever. It depicts the group singing the song on an abandoned subway* terminal set at MGM Studios, directly adjacent to the one where Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band was being filmed at the same time. This set featured buildings, a train station, and other elements.

*Two points off for claiming it's a subway station since it has heavyweight passenger cars lettered for 'New York Central'

.... some of their trackwork looks almost British i.e. turnouts without being "Loose Heeled".

You'll have to translate that one for some of us, Pete... ?!? One thing I've realised more since having the Interweb is just how different US track is to UK, beyond the obvious "spiked - vs - chairs", and it particularly shows with turnouts. :scratchhead:

Β 

Nice pictures too - the sort of 'everyday' details it can be hard to find pics of because US 'born'n'bred' railfans all know what they look like anyway....

Interesting photos and lots of detail, Pete.

Β 

And things I've not noticed before on the track.

Β 

Now in post #6; what's caused the regular pattern on all the ties ? Is it something to do with pressure treatment with preservatives ?

Β 

Then in post #1; what does that "square sticker" on the end of each tie signify ?

Β 

All the best, John.

Then in post #1; what does that "square sticker" on the end of each tie signify ?

Are you referring to the thin metal plates at the end of each tie - those are nail plates (or gang-nail plates), used to keep the tie from splitting clean-thru

Β 

Here's a AAR study about them, no less (not very good illustrations in that report, I'm afraid, but you get the idea).

Yes, I've been asked before by a local why I take photos of boring subjects and I tell them it's for a bunch of fetishistic lunatics in the UK that I work with on a voluntary basis - they usually sidle away from me then....

Β 

John, I think Sir Ray has answered the way I would! I'm not entirely sure of the puncture marks on the faces of the ties - I assumed, perhaps wrongly, that they are caused by the machinery they use to haul them around when they are being cut and treated.

Β 

"Loose heeled" or "hinge block heeled" - look at a set Peco points, the only part of the blades that move are hinged. That's fairly normal for the US prototype.

Β 

Best, Pete.

Yes, I've been asked before by a local why I take photos of boring subjects and I tell them it's for a bunch of fetishistic lunatics in the UK that I work with on a voluntary basis - they usually sidle away from me then....

Thankyou!! You do say the nicest things...biggrin.png :D :D

Β 

"Loose heeled" or "hinge block heeled" - look at a set Peco points, the only part of the blades that move are hinged. That's fairly normal for the US prototype.

Thanks for the explanation. :)

Archived