Β 

Santa Barbara in N scale_ at the NMRABR 2022 convention near Crewe

• RMweb Gold

Adrian

Β 

I have a fair few Altas F150's, Explorers and Taurus in various colours spread about the layout plus a few GHQ and some Buschvehicles that can be found over there but have to be careful the layout doesnt have too many European cars.

Β 

I have a few Japanese cars although they are 1:150 so have to be careful what they are positioned next to.

Β 

Ian

Adrian

Β 

I have a fair few Altas F150's, Explorers and Taurus in various colours spread about the layout plus a few GHQ and some Buschvehicles that can be found over there but have to be careful the layout doesnt have too many European cars.

Β 

I have a few Japanese cars although they are 1:150 so have to be careful what they are positioned next to.

Β 

Ian

Β 

I have the same issue for my modern N - it is a whole lot easier to find vehicles appropriate for my '50s PRR scenes.

Β 

Adrian

• RMweb Gold

This morning set up the first Digitrax DS64 for feedback on the turnout positions and changed setting in JMRI to use this but ran out of time to test, so will see how this DS64 performs over the weekend at Ally Pally before wiring up and changing the settings on the rest of the DS 64's.

Β 

Other than that its the new sound system that will be used for the first time at a show.

Β 

We load the car and set up at Ally Pally tomorrow morning.

Β 

Ian

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Β 

Other than that its the new sound system that will be used for the first time at a show.

Β 

We load the car and set up at Ally Pally tomorrow morning.

Β 

Looking forward to seeing (and hearing) the layout on Saturday.

• RMweb Gold

Geoff

Β 

I am sure it's OK but thought I better show some concern for my other half as she is harder to replace!

Β 

No leaflets arrived yet but if they come tomorrow whilst at the show I will put them out Sunday.

Β 

Ian

• RMweb Gold

Good to see it today (and hear!). The sound system was very effective.

A very nice example of US N gauge.

Tony

Β 

Thanks Mike and Tony

Β 

We had our problems this morning but all seemd to be much better this afternoon.

Β 

One of the problems of this show is that set up opens at 08.00 on Saturday but they dont let you in until some time after that then its a bit of a hike to the layout location. On top of that they open at 09.30 so dosn't give long to set up. Doing a Friday night is a non starter for us, especially at the moment.

Β 

So with 1 hour and 15 minutes after being let into the hall, we did have a train runnig but the rest of the trains didnt have the locos on them for a littel whiule after that.

Β 

A few hiccups with some freight cars not liking each other.

Β 

Any way we had a good time and hope the viewers did aswell.

Β 

Ian

Β 

here is a short video taken this afternoon. WIll try to do some more tomorrow

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

We had the sound system working better today. The Surroundtraxx system can handle six locomotive sounds at once. However, if the loco functions are not switched offend the locos dispatched when stopped in the fiddle yard, they will not release the slot in the Suroundtraxx box for the next locos.

Today wwe had Loochecker running on a separate laptop so we could monitor which locos had not been dealt with properly. Once we cleared the functions and dispatched errant locos, we could keep ontop of those we were running so we had the sound working on the correct locos that were on scene.

Β 

Eventually, once we have the transponding nd block sections set up,the loos will automatically clear as they leave the sound sections.

Β 

Generally the layout ran much mother today and we had fewer operator errors.

Β 

Will add more video tonight once we get home.

Β 

Β 

Β 

Ian

Β 

• RMweb Gold

Not much to report on the scenic side but I have been working on modifying wiring under the baseboards ready to install the Digitrax PM42 which will provide 4 seperate electrical sections. This will avoid the whole layout going dead when a short circuit occurs due to a derailed loco, a loco being put on the track in the fiddleyard or where turnouts have not been set to the correct position.

Β 

The PM42 should be wired up tonight and the layout tested in the morning.

Β 

I am aslo hopng ot have the feedback between the turnouts and the stationart decoders working this weekend. This should reduce the number of times that a route does not set up properly both on this layout and when the fiddleyards is used on Banbury.

Β 

The above should all be working in time for Trainwest in a few weeks time.

Β 

The next stage will be to add the block sections and Transponding in order ot get the sound ' moving' when using the Surrountraxx system - I doubt that htiwill be installed by Trainwest but we shall have to see how everything goes in the next few weeks.

Β 

Ian

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Geoff

Β 

no new baseboard this time. Did get the circuit breaker installed tonight. Whole of layout working but do have two sections acting as one at the moment will sort it out tomorrow.

Β 

Found a few more cars to glue down on te layout.

Β 

Ian

Edited by roundhouse

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Only a few days to go before we load the layout for Trainwest. The Digitrax PM42 circuit breaker is now working properly. More road vehicles re now glued down and hopefully the final platform lights will be ready for installation on Friday night. These are non parking as the layout is modelled in the mid day sunshine!

Β 

A few other details will also be fixed in place such as the USA Today newspaper box which is situated under the arches at the San Luis Obispo end of the building.

Β 

Another stock box is also being worked on to help speed up the setting p and packing away of the rolling stock. The layout goes up quickly but the stock does take ome time to set up. At Ally Pally we couldn't get into the hall till 08.15 and the show opened at 09.30 so we were still setting up for a short while after the show opened which didn't please one or two viewers. It's unusual for us not to be running in I've for opening!

Β 

Ian

At Ally Pally we couldn't get into the hall till 08.15 and the show opened at 09.30 so we were still setting up for a short while after the show opened which didn't please one or two viewers. It's unusual for us not to be running in I've for opening!

Β 

Ian

Β 

At Trainwest you can get into the hall at 08.00 and we open at 10.00. I did have one chap ring up to ask if we did early admissions. The answer was no. I think he tought we were a swapmeet!

Β 

Geoff Endacott