Β 

Santa Barbara in N scale_ at the NMRABR 2022 convention near Crewe

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Tonight we load the layout ready for the trip to the NEC tomorrow.

Β 

Remaining stock that was out has now been put in the stock boxes including a new one.

Β 

This morning I took an SP SD35 out the stock tray to replace the decoder that had fried. having a look over the loco for any gins of what might have caused it I noticed that it had a lot of dirt and fluff build up around the axles so it was dismantled and cleaned. Must be the first time with this 16 year old loco that used to do the switching on California Coast. Now cleaned new decoder fitted and back in the stock box.

Β 

Come see us on stand B49 this weekend.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

We had the layout set up and running last night.

Β 

This morning we had a stationary decoder play up. First off it did a factory reset takin go it four turnouts but after reprogramming it was fine for a while then really started doing odd things so hthese fiddleyard turnouts were manually thrown til I bought a new Digitrax DS64 and set it up.

All working fine after that but annoyingly a few derailments with the intermodal that ran fine yesterday.

Β 

Anyway we have had a good time in the American enclave and opposite Old Gringos new entire which is looking rather good and will be a superb layout once complete. Puts my fascia panels to shame.

Β 

We had a fair few people again commenting on how hey recognised Santa Barabrara after visiting the real place.

Β 

Our area wasn't as busy as the rest of the show but that's the norm as many just don't like American layouts and we even overheard people saying such.

Β 

Any way a good bit of banter and conversation in our area of the show.

Β 

A thoroughly good day.

Β 

Photos tomorrow.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for giving the Steeplecab a quick test, hopefully I'll have it painted by the next time but I'm not so sure how to motorise and chip it.

A pleasure to have something a little different on the layout.

Β 

The layout performed well today although a few ads didn't. had a couple of trailer flats drop the truck pins. They won't do that again as they are now glued in place.

Β 

A couple of photos from early morning before the first train ran.

post-1557-0-44979900-1448827314_thumb.jpeg

post-1557-0-28498100-1448827341_thumb.jpeg

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Did you find where that wheelset came from...?

Β 

Β 

No.

Β 

We started checking every car but when it was getting closer to closing we then forgot about it.

So if aΒ  frieght car did haveΒ  amissing axle, it worked very well without it all weekend!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I didn't get chance to take many photos so here are e last couple of a Surfliner train with a colourful F59PHi in the 10 year anniversary this loc ran in for a while a few years ago. The Auperliner coaches came from a Japanese company that appear to no have traded since the earthquake and Tsunami. Might be just a coincidence but a real shame if they were affected by that disaster.

Β 

Our next show with the layout isn't till next October so a fair time to do any improvements subject to othe layouts not taking up too much time. I do have upgraded backscene prints ready to be cut out and be applied, so that might be a task for the new year.

post-1557-0-44858800-1448886557_thumb.jpeg

post-1557-0-97601100-1448886570_thumb.jpeg

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Β 

Our area wasn't as busy as the rest of the show but that's the norm as many just don't like American layouts and we even overheard people saying such.

Β 

Any way a good bit of banter and conversation in our area of the show.

Β 

The advantage is those that do get a better view though :) I always stop to have a look even though I've seen it about 3 or 4 times already.

Β 

Not sure why they deem it necessary to be rude to say it loudly in front of you but unfortunately it's not uncommon with Swiss or German layouts either. Far outweighed by all the nice chats I have with my 'forren' stuff ;)

Β 

Nice to catch up again and sorry we couldn't help out with the pass but Tim was having a difficult weekend and literally only got back late Saturday and decided to then to manage with a bare minimum of sleep and make his way up.

Edited by PaulRhB

• RMweb Gold

The advantage is those that do get a better view though :) I always stop to have a look even though I've seen it about 3 or 4 times already.

Β 

Not sure why they deem it necessary to be rude to say it loudly in front of you but unfortunately it's not uncommon with Swiss or German layouts either. Far outweighed by all the nice chats I have with my 'forren' stuff ;)

Β 

Nice to catch up again and sorry we couldn't help out with the pass but Tim was having a difficult weekend and literally only got back late Saturday and decided to then to manage with a bare minimum of sleep and make his way up.

Paul

Β 

Yes, plenty of good comments especially from quite a few people who have visited the real location. Amazing how many people have been there. Always makes me want to go back there. Luckily I will be there in the near future to visit the brewpubs station.

Β 

No problem re the parking pass but thanks for checking.Β  BigP decided to park in the station car park due to the poor weather so we weren't short in the end.

Β 

Presumably these disinterested punters are the same ones who stand slack-jawed when they see a long train on Santa Barbara or RS Tower....?

Β 

Had it not been for the American content I wouldn't have bothered going, now I'm having small layout rejection syndrome and am wondering why I'm faffing round with overdeveloped small planks...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Presumably these disinterested punters are the same ones who stand slack-jawed when they see a long train on Santa Barbara or RS Tower....?

Β 

Had it not been for the American content I wouldn't have bothered going, now I'm having small layout rejection syndrome and am wondering why I'm faffing round with overdeveloped small planks...

Β 

They weren't near the layout but had been put up in the same hotel as us as thats were I heard the comment and it wasn't said loudly enough to be a wind up otherwise I would have enjoyed the banter!

I must apologise for not introducing myself!

I just get busy chatting with mates and forget all about it but it was lovely to see the layout on Sunday - it really is a great scale to show off just how long US freights are.

Mind, RS Tower did very well in that regard too!

Even though I've mainly moved into German/European modelling, I still really appreciate good US models.

Cheers,

John E.

Β 

Β 

What next then Andy? is the N scale Baldwin a clue?Β 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Despite comments against American layouts the norm is to receive plenty of good comments and that was generally the case last weekend in the show.

Β 

Quite a lot of positive comments regarding the sound system aswell.

Β 

I did very little operating over the weekend as I was busy talking to many visitors and other exhibitors plus admiring the superb backsceneΒ  on Old Gringo's 'Once Upon A Time' opposite us - thats going to be a cracking layout when completed. Maybe my next US n scale should be somewhere with an opportunity for such a backdrop.

Β 

There are still quite a few shows in the pipeline for Santa Barbara but as its now 6 years old I ought to seriously start thinking of the next one.

Β 

I wont be scrapping these scenic boards though as I like the place too much.

Edited by roundhouse

• RMweb Gold

Santa Barbara is a real classic! In other words I agree with you last sentence, Ian.

Β 

Somewhere around Phoenix, perhaps?

Β 

Best, Pete.

Thanks Pete

Β 

I have the UP stock!

Β 

However as my other half has spent a fair bitΒ  collecting the NS heritage fleet and other l ocos I ought to build something in the East. I fancy Chicago areas so i can run Metra stuff but no real big scenery apart form the skyscrapers.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

http://www.chasingheavymetal.com/blog/

Β 

Plenty of action along here , and the NS Heritage fleet appear on the unit oil trains fairly often.

Β 

About the only thing that doesn't get seen is UP.

Ah yes the BNSF race track through Naperville whihc passes past the hotel we use in Aurora. The Metra terminus is alongside.

• RMweb Gold

Paul

Β 

Amtrak P42's. They are used on the majority of Amtrak long distance services outside the overhead electric North East Corridor.

Β 

We have a few of these on SB some in that livery and some in older or anniversary heritage schemes