Β 

Santa Barbara in N scale_ at the NMRABR 2022 convention near Crewe

• RMweb Gold

When I am ready to start planning i will do a new thread.

Β 

A leasrt I know where to find the info provided in the meantime.

Β 

Horseehoe would be nice but it wouldnt fit in the space that Santa Barbara occupies between the fiddleyard boards.

Β 

Not only would I need a bigger car but also a bigger house!!

Β 

Ian

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Actually, Kalmbach's 'Classic Railroads You Can Model' book has the Horseshoe Curve as a suggested layout...

http://www.amazon.com/Classic-Railroads-You-Can-Model/dp/0890246149

Β 

How about the Rockville Bridge - Viewing area is the bridge (from either side?) including theΒ curves and crossovers at both endsΒ with 4 fiddle yards (SE=Harrisville/Philadelphia line, SW=Enola, NE=Buffalo line, NW=Pittsburgh line). Yes, I'm being silly. :jester:

Β 

Adrian

A bridge would be nice!!

How about one of the bridges that are on the coast as an option module extension for longer show locations?

Β 

For those that don't know, San Luis has its own less well known "horseshoe" AND it's on the same line as SB. And the "Classic" lovely windy hillside track with many short tunnels at the top of the gradeΒ  Yet another great extension module possibility.

Β 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oDnmiDsU1I

Β 

and

Β 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8joaICqizzo

Β 

Andy

Edited by Andy Reichert

• RMweb Gold

San Luis Obispo is a good possibility to replace Santa Barbara in five or so years time. The grade out of SlO heading North past the penitentiary would be great but again space is the problem. Also with fewer of us to do shows it would just take too long to set up and take down.

Β 

Β 

However Santa Barbara still has quite a few invites in the next few years to keep us busy.

Adrian

Β 

Thanks

Β 

Looks like i will be buying some BLMA details and spending a bit of time on some of them then!!

Β 

If you can find a copy, Diesel Era V8N4 (Jul/Aug 1997) has an 8-page article on the first batch of NS C40-9Ws, with walkaround photos (except, annoyingly, a rear shot) and drawings. As a bonus, there is also a 5-page article on the then-new Amtrack P42s.

Β 

Adrian

• RMweb Gold

A package from Shapeways arrived today with some new goodies.

Β 

On item is this baggage cart. Similar to the one found at airports carting people around this is a baggage only type which I seen in use at Santa Barbara to move checked baggage from the station to the baggage car at the front of the train on the Coast Starlight. I will have to look through my photos as I can't remember what colour it should be but IIRC it should be white or orange. This 3D print consists of three parts so once cleaned it was assembled in minutes before getting a coat of primer.

Β 

Other items include templates for signage on the road surfaces, one being for RR X. Been after these since building the layout!

post-1557-0-50988100-1410985083_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Just found my shot of the morning Surfliner Amtrak service heading North to San Luis Obispo at a murky Gaviota taken in 2010. The plan is to model this train on Santa Barbara.

Β 

The Horzion cars are in hand and the cab car is the next item to do possibley modified from an old Life Like F40.

Β 

Sad, but so, so avoidable.Β  Todays' news.

Β 

http://www.ksby.com/news/one-dead-two-injured-when-hit-by-amtrak-train/

Β 

Andy

Ian; do you run any TrinCool 64' Reefers?

http://www.spookshow.net/freight/blmareefer.html

http://www.spookshow.net/freight/exreefer.html

Β 

I just picked up a couple of BLMA ones on the weekend to go with the Exactrail ones that I have (all in UP livery). I found it very interesting that the plastic box and insert appeared to be identical between the two, but the cars themselves were completely different. The Exactrail ones are a bit finer, but there is nothing much in them and they look fine together. The new BLMA ones have the newer Carrier a/c units that have been recently retrofitted (Spookshow's picture shows the old reefer unit, which is the same as the Exactrail cars). The Exactrail cars seem to run a bit better, but I haven't gotten around to fettling the BLMA ones and I did have to do a bit of work on the Exactrail ones, so I don't think there is much in it there either.

Β 

They definitely aren't cheap cars (either in cost or execution), but they are impressively large.

Β 

Adrian

• RMweb Gold

Work on this tiny luggage cart is well underway. The one that I photographed at Santa Barbara has a roof so I am considering how best to add this. Probably some bras wire for the uprights and a styrene roof. I think that I have some Preiser luggage to put on it.
Should be ready for his weekends show at Uckfield.

post-1557-0-48289800-1413354856_thumb.jpg

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Last night I fixed the SEEP solenoids which failed last weekend. One of the coil wires had come away from the PCB so was a very easy fix under the magnifier after unplugging the solenoid from the layout.

Β 

Both the luggage cart and the camper are just about finished although Instill need to fit the fin to the surfboard.

Β 

These will be glued into place on the layout once set up tomorrow morning at the Uckfield show.

post-1557-0-38983000-1413527549_thumb.jpg

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

We had a good day at Uckfield. A few Rogue freight cars but generally things ran well.

Β 

I have been playing with the Sony wifi lens again. Considering this is N gauge it performing fairly well when using it at Street level where most cameras would struggle to get much more depth of field.

I must try taking the same shots at various focal points then try stacking them.

post-1557-0-45685900-1413659217_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-51846900-1413659253_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-69586600-1413659317_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-23884800-1413659342_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-50801300-1413659380_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-22475500-1413659482_thumb.jpg

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 10

• RMweb Gold

We had a good weekend at the Uckfield show and a chat with quite a few Rmwebbers. Another well organised show and a good lunch.

Β 

Layout ran well generally although a few freight cars did play up but soon fixed.

Β 

We were planning on running the 5BEL ' World Tour - California section' with a UP loco on the head end yesterday but it just wouldn't run properly. Turned out to be a broken wire to one of the powered bogies (now fixed at home) so thats for another day

Β 

We did have a slight mishap setting up but luckily most of the damage was fixed so not noticeable except to me. We were still finding bits as we packed up last night so a little work required before the layouts next outing which will be Newcastle in November.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Last night I decided to have a good look at the double stack container cars to see if I could spot why they kept derailing despite being 15 years old and running fine until recent shows.

Β 

One had an axle popped out of its bearings but that might have happened after being packed away as I am sure we would have spotted that!

Β 

A number had a build up of dirt despite only recently being cleaned. Most of these cars have had Gold Medal etched walkways added but they tend to be prone to coming loose so this tiem I fixed them back down with canopy glue rather than superglue so we will see how well these last before requiring repair.

Β 

A little more fetling carried to such as adding more weight will hopefully help them run better at Newcastle.

• Like 3

Hadn't realised you were coming to Newcastle Ian. Will have to try and get down to it now, can't miss the chance to see this, and shoot the breeze about So-Cal modelling, European distractions and UK modern N! The only difference is that you produce superb layouts for all your different interests, whilst I just procrastinate

• Like 1

Hadn't realised you were coming to Newcastle Ian. Will have to try and get down to it now, can't miss the chance to see this, and shoot the breeze about So-Cal modelling, European distractions and UK modern N! The only difference is that you produce superb layouts for all your different interests, whilst I just procrastinate

Which is ultimately why it is good to see such layouts. Unfortunatel, most punters only seem to be interested in dreary 1950s steam layouts, and having to even walk past a "foreign" layout is considered an abomination....