siphon H which bogies?

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Il Grifone.  Decision is to go for  Shapeways anyway because I’m very impressed with the fishbellies for my E116, and they have NEM pockets.  I’m a bit down on K’s bogies at the moment, as I can’t get the ones for my A31 to sit flat and square...

I've found a SIPHON G running on K's American bogies. These have inside sprung frames* (the same principle as Nucro) from brass strip. My SIPHON H runs on plastic American bogies (Mailcoach I think) with wheels running in the plastic frames (brass pin point bearings). The bogies are equalised on the 3 point principle (one free to rock in any plane and the other only 'fore and aft'.

* IIRC  one of the cast frames is slightly shorter than the others....

My Siphon H's run on Larry Goddard/247 bogies, one on 9ft Americans and the other on 7ft. The original Airfix bogies dd not go to waste as they are now under 70ft South Wales stock.

Mike Wiltshire

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

All of which has prompted an order to Shapeways for a pair of Americans for my Siphon H, along with fishbellies for a K’s A31 (the footboards’ll be cut off).  The Siphon will be renumbered as W 1439, and retain it’s early 1948 brown livery as supplied by Mainline.  I think it’s the oldest item I have still running, but a Mainline toad and parts of 9681’s ML 57xx body moulding run it close, as does a rebogied Lima Siphon G.  

I’d fitted the K’s Americans beneath the H as a tryout, but the difficulty of fitting NEM pockets persuaded my down the Shapeways route. 

For what it is worth I have been perfectly content with the Stafford Road Models bogies available through Shapeways.

They are perhaps not a cheap option but I like the NEM coupling pocket and they run very well on the Hornby R8218 wheels that I usually drop in - much better than anything I could build from a kit.

I'm building a couple of "Toplight" brake thirds at the moment that I have purchased 3D print bogies for, I've also brought a pair to swap out the ones on a LIma siphon although I have not got round to that yet.

• Agree 2

• 1 year later...

Sorry for not visiting this thread sooner but thanks to Star and Johnster for their comments on my Shapeways bogies.

However, having produced some GWR Fish bellied bogies for an unknown (possibly PC Models) toplights I was wondering if any of the outside framed siphons ran on fish bellied bogies as I still have a couple of these on their original bogies and fancy some more variety.

If they did it's not going to take me more than a couple of minutes to develop a virtual model with the Airfix fitting.

Many thanks

Steve

image.png.2603ecb303a9da3c53c4190f7a5519f7.png

Thanks for the information here. I too have an old Mainline Siphon H, I always assumed that it was running some generic bogies. Now at least I know they are GWR, but still the wrong ones. The body is a nice moulding however and I do have some 9' American bogies in the spares box made from white metal. 247 Developments IIRC. I think it will be headed to the workbench soon. It's Mint In Box to some. More MIBASNEV - Mint In Box And Still Not Exactly Valuable.

• RMweb Gold

The Mainline H is correctly numbered in 1948 transition livery as W 1429, and runs on the correct bogies, Collett 9'.  I have converted mine with Stafford Road Americans to W 1439 W in crimson livery, and also given it new buffers.  I have 3 Siphons, this, a Mainline outside framed G on it's orignal correct Mainline Collett 9' bogies, in GW livery heavily weathered,  and a crimson inside framed G, Lima with correct Mainline Collett 9' bogies.

• Informative/Useful 1