Judith Edge kits

Michael Edge

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

We have some 7mm 48DS kits in stock again. I've just got a second test etch for the Horwich 0F, hope to have it ready for next March at the latest. The Fell prototype is complete and should be in the paintshop next week, with a bit of luck it could be running on Chapel at Leeds next weekend, definitely on the layout at Warley. A few production issues to deal with including some lost wax castings and some complicated instructions to write but we want to get it out sometime next year. We would also like to find a way of building it without the centre coupling rods before it goes on sale, I've taken the easy way out by building the first one as a 4-8-4. Chain coupling of the centre axles is just about possible within the wheel diameter but the only suitable wheels (LMS Stanier tender wheels) are on 2mm axles, better option seems to be some sort of gear coupling. I'm planning to get Chris Gibbon to look at designing one of his drive stretchers to fit the Fell.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

We have some 7mm 48DS kits in stock again. I've just got a second test etch for the Horwich 0F, hope to have it ready for next March at the latest. The Fell prototype is complete and should be in the paintshop next week, with a bit of luck it could be running on Chapel at Leeds next weekend, definitely on the layout at Warley. A few production issues to deal with including some lost wax castings and some complicated instructions to write but we want to get it out sometime next year. We would also like to find a way of building it without the centre coupling rods before it goes on sale, I've taken the easy way out by building the first one as a 4-8-4. Chain coupling of the centre axles is just about possible within the wheel diameter but the only suitable wheels (LMS Stanier tender wheels) are on 2mm axles, better option seems to be some sort of gear coupling. I'm planning to get Chris Gibbon to look at designing one of his drive stretchers to fit the Fell.

For what it's worth, this was how I was going to drive the A1 kit - before I discovered how inaccurate it was !!

post-2274-0-72113100-1508669759_thumb.jpg

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Edited by cctransuk
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

That looks workable but don't forget our kits are designed with compensation and all the axles have to move independently - including the centre ones, I'm not thinking of incorporating flexible wheel centres. The Roadrunner+ might allow enough flexibility though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I've still not finished building one, work on the Fell has been taking priority lately. 10100 is nearly finished now though, just waiting for numbers and glazing, should be running on Chapel en le Frith at Warley. We'll have the Fowler 3P with us at Manchester, finished or not.

• Like 2

Good afternoon Mike. I am attending Warley on the Sunday and would love to see the Fell in operation. I have just looked at the Warley Exhibition website and I cant see the layout  Chapel le Frith, you mentioned listed.

Hope you can clarify best wishes Brian

This video is good as well, check the front rear windows on the Fell they appear to be curved.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCG7gRbT45w&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Steve.

And also confirming that at the point the loco was introduced that both sides of the locos were the same...

It's worth contacting Shell/BFI for the full film - it's fascinating.

Steph

http://www.bfi.org.uk/films-tv-people/4ce2b9420df23

The Fell film doesn't seem to appear in this listing but it might be 'hidden' as a thread in a film.

That might be because it wasn't produced by Shell alone (it was joint with Fell Developments and BR). However it can be obtained through the Shell film unit (details through BFI). The reproduction/copyright control is actually managed through a third-party, but the contact has to be made through Shell.

However, if you really want a copy it can be obtained - got a recorded DVD-R from them a few years ago.

Steph

• RMweb Premium

And also confirming that at the point the loco was introduced that both sides of the locos were the same...

It's worth contacting Shell/BFI for the full film - it's fascinating.

Steph

I think you're right, this looks like the same train and there's a window on each side. I've never found any way of distinguishing which side is which though. At the moment mine has a window on one side and a grille on the other.

The Idleford Town video is here, Fell is 3.40 in, also look for a North Eastern EE1 in BR early blue built from a Judith Edge etch,

The Fell body windows were changed to a grill each side when the extra cooling slats were added to the on the nose sides, the A1 etch has a window on one side and grill on the other, the locomotive went through a lot of changes to the body through its life, including the removal of the centre coupling rod to ease the strain on the gearbox. When I built an N Gauge one in the 1980's using a Farish 08 chassis with an extra driving wheel, I when through many photos trying to identify the sides, epic fail!

Steve.

• Like 2