Β 

Turn of the century research start points?

The Wilmington & Northern Branch of the Philadelphia & Reading RR. Runs from Reading PA to Wilmington, DE via Coatesville, PA. It was an independent RR until the late 1890's when it was leased by the P&R and finally acquired in 1900. I cheat a bit and encompass the 1900-1905 time frame so I can still have some W&N lettered equipment, but can say everything has knuckle couplers and air brakes, plus get in a few steel or steel underframe cars. The W&N was 72 miles long and had 2 steel mills, 2 quarries, a ship and railcar building company, served a major port, a car ferry, 2 explosives plants, 3 helper grades, 5 interchanges with the PRR and one with the B&O. In the late 1950's and 1960's it had an iron ore mine on it too. Only about 10 miles of the 72 was tangent.

Β 

The layout is 12x23 single deck in HO (and so highly compressed). with a "portable" staging yard in the hall (I put it up for formal op sessions and take it down between). Cars are mostly MDC/Roundhouse, kitbashed, resin/wood kits or scratchbuilt with Roundhouse, Mantua, and Bachmann engines. Future projects include converting about half the engines to camelbacks. Code 70 rail. TT&TO operation. It currently has room for 4 operators (2 yard, 2 road train crews), but once I complete the next phase it will jump to 6 or 7 operators (3 yard and 3 road train crews plus I might have to actually have a dispatcher).

Β 

I live in Omaha, NE, but grew up in the Philadelphia area and spent the last 30 years wandering around the midwest US.

Here are some picks of my layout:

Β 

Wilmington

IMG_6061.jpg

Β 

The Harlan & Hollingsworth plant at Wilmington:

IMG_5991.jpg

Β 

Heres the portable staging yard:

3_InYard.jpg

Β 

Heres a switcher:

IMG_3772.jpg

Β 

A B&O wood hopper kitbashed from a Varney/Life Like hopper carcass:

Hopper.jpg

Β 

Here's a couple under construction photos of the Coatesville, PA area:

IMG_8416.jpg

IMG_8414.jpg

Dave, thanks for sharing these photos with us.

Β 

That trackwork really looks the business and now I'm wishing that I'd decided to go the whole hog and build our own track rather than using Peco code 83, even though it's so easy to use!

Β 

Let's have some more photos of your locomotives, please.

Β 

Tim, sorry for hijacking the thread.

Β 

All the best, John.

The Wilmington & Northern Branch of the Philadelphia & Reading RR. Runs from Reading PA to Wilmington, DE via Coatesville, PA. It was an independent RR until the late 1890's when it was leased by the P&R and finally acquired in 1900. I cheat a bit and encompass the 1900-1905 time frame so I can still have some W&N lettered equipment, but can say everything has knuckle couplers and air brakes, plus get in a few steel or steel underframe cars. The W&N was 72 miles long and had 2 steel mills, 2 quarries, a ship and railcar building company, served a major port, a car ferry, 2 explosives plants, 3 helper grades, 5 interchanges with the PRR and one with the B&O. In the late 1950's and 1960's it had an iron ore mine on it too. Only about 10 miles of the 72 was tangent.

Β 

The layout is 12x23 single deck in HO (and so highly compressed). with a "portable" staging yard in the hall (I put it up for formal op sessions and take it down between). Cars are mostly MDC/Roundhouse, kitbashed, resin/wood kits or scratchbuilt with Roundhouse, Mantua, and Bachmann engines. Future projects include converting about half the engines to camelbacks. Code 70 rail. TT&TO operation. It currently has room for 4 operators (2 yard, 2 road train crews), but once I complete the next phase it will jump to 6 or 7 operators (3 yard and 3 road train crews plus I might have to actually have a dispatcher).

Β 

I live in Omaha, NE, but grew up in the Philadelphia area and spent the last 30 years wandering around the midwest US.

Β 

Far out! Track plan if you would, please? That's about the space I have available - 12 x 28...

Archived