O Scale Track and Gauges for Code 100 rail/ Other US O Scale Supplies

• RMweb Gold

Use whatever gauge suits. I made N gauge track using a bolck of ply 9mm wide its just a bit easier if you have suitable gauges and two or three that are exactly the same size does help a little.

Don

• 3 weeks later...

Dear Andrew,

"Cheapest you can find" can be $0 if you already have some HO flextrack "instock" (Hmm, I wonder if "oversized for N" Code 80 would work for really-old/light industrial spurs??? ;-) ).

In the case of "ChicagO Fork", AUD$2 "GT" nickel silver HO flextrack from Tom's Hobbies in Sydney gave me a pair of 3' rails ready of re-laying to "2R US O gauge", whereas ME Code 100 _per_length_ (one single rail) was priced cheapest in Sydney at around AUD$8 or more (IE the equivalent ME "pair of Rails" we're in the AUD$15-18 range)???

Think of the cheap-as flextrack you normally wouldn't even consider using for HO, and go for it... ;-)

Happy Modelling,

Aim to Improve,

Prof Klyzlr

What rail did you use. Trying to save as much money as I can. You said to use the cheapest one you could. Any hints?

My local model shop had a box full of 'damaged' Hornby Flextrack going for £1.50 a length when I built my O scale layout. Some rails were a bit bent, in most cases some of the sleeper webbing had broken or come off the rails - all of no consequence to me, and to make it even more of a bargain, Hornby Flextrack is 1 metre long - an extra 3 inches per length over Peco!! :D

The turnout in post #18 doesn't look too bad in that request for proposal. Here are a couple of photos I took of a short stretch of yard tracks with turnouts.

9921.1049048760.jpg

5003.1059026700.jpg

10 years ago I drove a locomotive through this section of track (5mph and I thought I was going to get thrown out of the cab window as it was rocking so severely!). Keep in mind that this track gets 100 car unit grain trains over it to get to the grain elevator. Of course, it did seem that almost every week a derailment would happen there...

8622.1046596500.jpg

Cheers

Nick

Archived