Β 

NS F9A 4271 (& 4275) in Chattanooga

Nah... wrong colors............. ;)

Β 

They do give an insight into what a Modern-Spec F-Unit looks like though, with the extra Ditch Lights and sockets fitted. :O

I note too the removal of the nose door (were they ever used??) and also removal of the grab irons up the side of the nose, but still on top of it. Presumably an "Elf'n'Safety" measure to stop unauthorised persons climbing up there. I suppose they use a ladder at the maintenance Shop to get up there, if they need to.?

• RMweb Gold

Β 

Β 

I note too the removal of the nose door (were they ever used??)

Β 

rev1941dooropen28July2006.jpg

Β 

Admittedly this is 28July2006 on a preserved operation. My Old Kentucky Dining Train, operating from Bardstow KY (about 30 miles south of Louisville).

• 2 weeks later...

Nah... wrong colors............. ;)

Β 

They do give an insight into what a Modern-Spec F-Unit looks like though, with the extra Ditch Lights and sockets fitted. :O

I note too the removal of the nose door (were they ever used??) and also removal of the grab irons up the side of the nose, but still on top of it. Presumably an "Elf'n'Safety" measure to stop unauthorised persons climbing up there. I suppose they use a ladder at the maintenance Shop to get up there, if they need to.?

Β 

I find these NS F units to look kind of 'bald' to me without the nose doors...they should at least paint the outline of a door there.

Β 

Jordan, see the grab iron with the loops at the end? That's a 'ladder grab' - a ladder sits between the loops which keep the ladder from sliding.

Β 

Nose doors were used, but not often. The Seaboard Air Line went to some length in their E4 and E6 units to get a 'usable' nose door as the E3 and the stock E6 lacked doors. In truth, the E4 is nothing but an E3 with a nose door, and only the Seaboard had E4s. The Seaboard went for these doors as they planned pretty much from the outset to run engines 'elephant style' as they split their Florida trains in Sanford, FL (I think?) so that one part went down the west coast while the other went down to Miami on the east coast. And when EMD changed the E3 to an E6, the Seaboard ordered the door on them as well but EMD kept the E6 model on those. Go figure.

Β 

Examples - photos used with permission of the good Mr Calloway:

First, a filthy E4, the Seaboard's original, the 3000. Note the concentric rectangles at the nose door...

post-751-0-44206000-1317339142_thumb.jpg

Β 

Another shot of #3000, this time in Raleigh, this time with the Seaboard's unique 'pop up' passageway for the nose door. The Seaboard was concerned that if a plain nose door was fitted to the slant nosed E3 that it would be too dangerous for use. The Seaboard ran trains regularly at 100 mph; the E4s and E6s were geared for 120 mph. Warren told me he got the crew to pop up the nose door so that he could take this photo :)

post-751-0-93716600-1317339450_thumb.jpg

Β 

And here's the 3001 with the door in place and coupled to the E7 #3043

post-751-0-08603900-1317339559_thumb.jpg

Β 

Seaboard 3028 - an E7 with the bulldog nose so no need for the pop up door; instead the Seaboard fitted these extra-long and tall grab irons. Like all of the E4 and E6s, some of the E7s were delivered without Gyralights. When those were fitted, the tacked-on twin sealed beams came along. Oh, and that 'speaker' on top? It's a Hancock Air Chime horn, an air horn intended to sound like a steam whistle. And it did, more or less.

post-751-0-05509300-1317339924_thumb.jpg

Β 

And this color photo of Seaboard 3026, posted to prove that the Seaboard's post 1954 paint livery is *not* white but in fact is mint green. Note the white shirt and other stuff in the background - shows it's not a color shift in the slide.

post-751-0-46806400-1317339989_thumb.jpg

Β 

I suspect this is way more info than anybody wanted....

Β 

Jordan, see the grab iron with the loops at the end? That's a 'ladder grab' - a ladder sits between the loops which keep the ladder from sliding.

Craig thanks for that - of course I've seen that style of grab iron before but never knew why it was like that! Obvious when you realise the reason for it!! Thanks!

"Bald" is a good description of those door-less noses, too!

Β 

I suspect this is way more info than anybody wanted....

Β 

Not at all, Craig, thanks for taking the time and effort to post that.

Besides, it is always interesting to see Seaboard stuff - and I do like that livery. When did they use the mauve colours?

Β 

Best, Pete.

Thanks, guys.

I just realized why I liked that livery.

When I was 8 at Junior/Primary School I had a crush on my teacher Miss Honey (I kid you not I've still got a report card from her - she must be in her eighties by now). When we were good she gave out pencils with the same colour (alternating) stripes, incl. the thin yellow stripe on the "corners" of the pencil. Freaking cool!

Β 

Best, Pete.

The ACL purple colors first appeared in 1939 on the pair of E3 units 500/501 purchased to haul the "Champion" from Richmond VA to Miami; south of Jacksonville it ran over the Florida East Coast's track. Unlike the Seaboard, the ACL used purple on everything - passenger units, freight units, and switchers. The SAL had different liveries for each of those, one of the few roads to do so. The purple (Duco color 241-34048M), imitation aluminum (Duco 254-3935) and yellow (Duco 254-9356) lasted until Champ Davis, the president of the ACL, retired in 1957. Tom Rice took his place and promptly replaced the hard-to-maintain purple with basic black with yellow stripes. The purple pigments of that era simply did not stand up to the sun and heat of the southeastern United States; to keep it looking decent a purple engine required repainting every other year. One change that was made was in 1947 when the roof color was changed from purple to black.

Β 

I'm not certain where this photo was taken, but here's the 501 which is now preserved at the North Carolina Transportation Museum located at the old Southern Rwy Spencer Shops in Spencer NC. The color is said to be dead accurate for a fresh paint job.

post-751-0-34466400-1317430247_thumb.jpg

Β 

And one of the E6s in black, leading a train through Alexandria, Virginia. Both ACL and SAL power often ran through to Washington DC Union Station over the Richmond, Fredericksburg & Potomac. Personally I'm kind of partial to this 'bumblebee' livery.

post-751-0-53430900-1317430373_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

Β 

Just caught up with this thread. I'm an SAL and ACL fan so great to see those pictures along with explanations etc on cab front doors. I've always thought that the ACL were very brave choosing purple as a road colour but think it looks great . It somehow makes the locos look quite regal which was I suspect the intention. I also love the Seaboards citrus scheme - not so in your face as ACLs but very fitting for the region. The SCL black/yellow never appealed to me looking much too utilitarian in my opinion and very drab when weathered. Its funny, I never used to like F units when I was younger possibly because they were so typically American I think but I have now reformed and am growing to love F (& E) units more all the time, the older units certainly look very graceful.

I seem to have amassed US HO stock in these two roads over the years so I ought to get a layout going one day. The usual US roads didn't appeal but after a vist to Florida, a new path opened up. One day !

Archived