Relaxing Little movie............ Now including Model Plans etc.,

Another recent (this month) movie of the Black River and Western RailRoad, the closest shortline to me and a far cry from the New Jersey of The Sopranos.

Sit back, relax and enjoy. I just wish that there was more footage on the turnout seen at the beginning - but then I'm weird.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nh7r7uMID0w&feature=related

Shot from the caboose, I like the winding end of the film where the train enters Flemington (I think). Watch in 1080HD if you can, lots of odd little details abound,

Enjoy, Pete.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the link Pete. As you say, a fascinating glimpse into a different world and lots of interesting cameos. A few observations:

1. The last time I was at a place called Three Bridges it looked a lot different to that in the film!

2. A fair amount of the track looks in need of some serious fettling.

3. I wonder how many people had their hearing damaged by the enthusiastic use of the loud horn?

Thanks again for a pleasant 15 minute distraction.

Thanks, but I only found it not filmed it! The more I see of the Black River and Western RR the more I like it. It's a mix of working shortline and heritage line (though on paper I think that they keep the two separate). It's about 50 miles from Manhattan but easy to get to by road.

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Gold

I know the telephoto effect can accentuate the state of the track, but even so I'm always amazed at the condition of some of these lines. I wonder if anyone modelling P87 standards could actually replicate the track conditions and be able to run stock on it reliably? I have a feeling the weight of the stock would be key....

What also makes it look worse is that the joints are staggered which makes the loco look like it is "waddling". I'm not sure whether there are any non-welded lengths of track anywhere in the UK to compare it to. These shortlines run on a shoe-string....

I'll bump up my photos of the line at Ringoes, NJ - not exciting but interesting....

Best, Pete.

• 1 year later...

I know the telephoto effect can accentuate the state of the track, but even so I'm always amazed at the condition of some of these lines.

Possibly not in New Jersey, but in places that get significant freeze-thaw cycles through the winter, you can get a fair amount of heaving from the water in/under the ballast freezing. Sometimes it will return to its pre-frozen state and sometimes it will move the ballast. This tends to affect the rails on lines that don't do frequent ballast tamping.

You also get this on rural roads - a hump will appear in the tarmac for some of the winter (due to the saturated ground under the road freezing), but will usually disappear once the weather gets warmer - the normal term for these are 'frost heaves'.

Adrian

Yes, we get them here too in New Jersey. The New York Metroplex Center is also the World's best for potholes (at this time of the year). My Wife actually broke a wheel of her Audi on the GSP.

Best, Pete.

I know the telephoto effect can accentuate the state of the track, but even so I'm always amazed at the condition of some of these lines. I wonder if anyone modelling P87 standards could actually replicate the track conditions and be able to run stock on it reliably? I have a feeling the weight of the stock would be key....

There's a video clip ( on Vimeo I think) of it done in standard HO - I didn't keep the link; I think someone like Jack Shortliner might have it. Can't even remember the name of the layout :(

I've been experimenting with 'rough track' myself in HO - as well as stock weight, for locos two-axle trucks ride it much better than standard, R-T-R 3-axle trucks, which with rigid axles (i.e. unsprung) are more prone to derailment, as the middle axles lifts either of the end axles off the rail.

Excellent stuff. I've been spending some time in Toronto this week watching some heavy duty freight in and out of the yards and it's great to be reminded that there are still some terrific short lines out there. Infinitely more modellable than a GWR branchline anyday! Many thanks!

Bill

Jack Shortliner has already worked out a variant trackplan (it's extremely difficult to retain the glorious reverse curve connection to the mainline) for me in N including two fiddleyards (behind the backscene) one for Ringoes (the shortline) the other for the mainline.

If he gives permission I'll post them. It's 16' by 18" and retains the spacious feel.

The amazing thing about this shortline is that it is one of three shortlines in New Jersey within one hour(ish) of Manhattan......

Best, Pete.

Jordan, there are a couple, one is a section on one of the Guildford Lines (model), and the other was a deliberately badly-laid siding on a layout(neither of which I have links to). For anyone who feels like having a go at doing poor track- this is how to do 3-point suspension which will let your cars do rock-n-roll  http://www.the-gauge.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=3766&p=117590&hilit=3+point+suspension#p117590

It's 40D 31'8.4 N 74D 47'56.4 W

Don't forget whilst it would be nice to have a totally accurate rendition of the trackwork;  Jack was very concerned to make it interesting in the longterm for me....

Similarly the three bridges that give the town its name are off scene of the interchange where the action takes place in real life; it is entirely possible to use the river in the model in order to skew the track plan if  required to avoid the straight left to right orientation.

I was very keen to avoid fiddleyards tacked on each  end of the scenic board...

Best, Pete.

Archived