Milliput

• RMweb Gold

I've just used Milliput for the first time - to fill some gaps along the roofline of a brass Queen Mary Brake Van.

The Milliput was very old - but unopened - and was very crumbly in texture and difficult to work.

My question is whether this is normal or is it normally (as I'd imagined) more like Plasticene or Bluetak and I really need a new packet?

Thanks

I've just used Milliput for the first time - to fill some gaps along the roofline of a brass Queen Mary Brake Van.

The Milliput was very old - but unopened - and was very crumbly in texture and difficult to work.

My question is whether this is normal or is it normally (as I'd imagined) more like Plasticene or Bluetak and I really need a new packet?

Thanks

Sounds like you do, once mixed together you should have a smooth consistency. perhaps a little stiffer than plasticene, which is readily worked and can be smoothed over with a wet finger.

I also have never found it to be anything like platercine, putty, bluetak or any other soft easily moulded paste. I have also found it to be on the crunbly side but after mixing and a lot of working it does the job and as said it smooths really well.

There are different types/grades, I use the silver/grey and the sticks must be at least 3 years old by now - a little goes a long way.

• RMweb Premium

If you make sure it's wrapped up in the plastic again it shouldn't dry out too much. I've got a pack that's five years old and still useable.

One handy hint (in the instructions) is to mix in some water when you kneed the two parts together. You can get it to the consistancy that's best suited for your application.

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

Archived