Β 

RS Tower in October CM

Must be honest, but though Santa Barbara may be very well modelled, with only a single turnout, and no switching, it may keep Mr Lampkin happy watching trains go past - but it would bore me to tears within 5 minutes - in fact it is one of those layouts that, seen at an exhibition, would earn a glance and a "walk on by" - it is one of those layouts that, to me, has no point (actually it has one in the visible section) - but maybe that is just my POV. :no:

Yes it's very much a 'watching trains go by' layout, but then that's what we mostly interact with the real thing as...horses for courses. Most action on ours is in the same 'trains go round' vein, but there's maybe a bit more capability to do different stuff if needed/wanted.

Β 

A little off the topic of this thread, but a good edition of the mag I thought as well, lots of model railways/railroads to look at and no holiday snaps of obscure mediterranean tramways. ;) I liked the Polish narrow gauge wierdly enough as well.

It's the Walthers 'Miranda's Banana's' built as a flat and given a different distressed whitewash type finish, it fits well there as we were trying not to go for the huge towering canyon of warehouses look. ;)

Β 

We're down for the Warners show in Peterborough next year, gets us a bit closer to you?

Must be honest, but though Santa Barbara may be very well modelled, with only a single turnout, and no switching, it may keep Mr Lampkin happy watching trains go past - but it would bore me to tears within 5 minutes - in fact it is one of those layouts that, seen at an exhibition, would earn a glance and a "walk on by" - it is one of those layouts that, to me, has no point (actually it has one in the visible section) - but maybe that is just my POV. :no:

Β 

I think it ultimately depends on the individual, Santa Barbara reminded me of a similarly sized N gauge layout I used to operate at shows....well, when I say operate, it was basically driving trains on a double track tailchaser that had a few loops out front where you could park trains and try to convince the public that you were presenting a reasonable representation of how the real railway worked, whilst trying to be a little inventive to alleviate the boredom. It'd be interesting to see if the builder does something different for their next project, as religiously following a chosen prototype isn't always the best option when you can't face operating it for more than ten minutes. I would still rather see a layout that is based on an actual location tho, as surely prototype fidelity and conformance is something that ought to be promoted within the hobby.

Β 

RS2 looked fantastic, and deserved alot more room in the magazine. I'm looking forward to seeing it soon.

Interesting - one of the things I was alluding to in the article was that we got really bored with operating the original Rock Springs...basically a big single track oval with a passing loop!

Β 

I still think Santa Barbara it's a great looking layout - but I guess as a visitor to a show you get the benefit of not having to work it all day! ;)

Β 

I think that's it. Maybe Ian just enjoys "watching the trains go by" in such a realistic setting. I think he's exhibiting at Barrow next month with another layout, so maybe we can askI him!

Β 

Ian will be debuting his new layout, a N scale representation of Banbury (UK) set in the present. The design is such that it uses the same fiddle yard and end curves as Santa Barbara.

Β 

Dan Spalding

This could open a whole can of contention around what makes a good layout. I've spend several weekends operating Santa Barbara with Ian and the crew. Its not just a watch trains go by operation. Yes, it is fairly simple to run but not boring in the least. There seems to be 2 extremes out there. A layout like SB that is a direct model of a prototype modelled and operated as such on one hand. Then we have the over complex shunting planks which bear only a passing resemblance to the real thing but have far more play value. My POV is about the opposite of Jack's. "Yawn, another urban shunting plank". To me they are becoming as clichΓ© as the 4mm scale TMD or an 80's GWR blt. I guess the ideal would be a compromise somewhere in the middle. Has that ever been done in the UK apart from RS Tower and the Thamessider's Essex Belt Lines? Both of which require a hell of a lot of space. Is there a layout out there that balances prototype with play value in a reasonable space? Answers on a postcard please.

Which I think proves my earlier point - its horses for courses. World would be a boring place if we were all the same, in model trains as in life!

Β 

On a purely selfish note, I'm slightly saddened that its Banbury that's coming to Barrow, rather than Santa B since the Cali setting appeals to me personally. On the other hand, if Banbury is half as good as Santa B it'll be a belter.

There's some clips on Youtube - this one gives possibly the best overview

Β 

The scenic side to my eye is very well observed, it's got the clean - even clinical - look of an architects model at first glance but the style of modelling does match the feel of the real place very well from what I can tell.

Β 

Andrew, on the plan in CM there's a short spur off the single line end in the staging yard, what does that do out of interest?

Β 

Is there a layout out there that balances prototype with play value in a reasonable space?

Β 

Personally that's where the Mindheim-esque industrial branch wins, trying to get something that's believable from a prototypical point of view but acheivable - but that can also be limiting operationally as well so it's at best *an* answer not *the* answer to 'what's the best type of train set'... ;)

• RMweb Gold

With regard to the Santa Barbara article, I found it strange that the single track section was neither mentioned, nor pictured

Β 

Β 

Tim

Β 

Been busy working on the new layout so only just seen your post.

Yes I must admit I forgot about the single track bit in the article. Santa Barbara has a passing siding which is a few miles long and goes back to single track a mile or so South of the station. I have moved this much closer on the model so that the layout is operated as a single track line and thus it is not operated as a double track tail chaser, but we do pass trains in the station area.

Β 

Ian

Archived