Β 

Is the Atlas model anywhere close to the ones the IHB has just received?

Β 

Prototype pics (and a proto-nook if you're interested!) in these pics:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/36106399@N04/sets/72157627541820393/with/6145999442/

Β 

I got as far as 4-axles - check

Blombergs - check

3 engines - check

Β 

And then started running out of things I should probably be checking for differences....?

Is the Atlas model anywhere close to the ones the IHB has just received?

Β 

I got as far as 4-axles - check

Blombergs - check

3 engines - check

Β 

And then started running out of things I should probably be checking for differences....?

Β 

Dear NSE,

Β 

I'm no genset expert, but I have a 1/2 decent set of eyes... :-)

Β 

From the criteria you've already called, a significant # or modellers would be "That'll do, now where's the airbrush...",

and that's just fine...

Β 

However, if you're the kind of modeller who has that nagging voice in the back of your head saying "there's something _not_quite_right_ here", then let's consider

Β 

1 - The IHB gensets are officially NRE model 3GS21C locomotives. Unfortunately, a quick Google could not provide any info as to whether it was the 3GS21C model that Atlas had in mind when designing their HO loco.

Β 

2 - Given Atlas's "it has 3 x 700hp primemovers" statement, and comparing that to the NRE genset lineup, it could have been based on one of up-to 3 different NRE models, so still no closer to nailing it down "on paper".

Β 

http://www.trainweb....ensets/nre.html

Β 

3 - However, as many modellers and articles have stated "if you wish to model a given unit, check the photos".

Β 

Ergo

Β 

10000592_BeautyShot.jpg

Β 

VS

Β 

ihb2142.jpg

Β 

says to me:

1 - Blomberg trucks = Check!

2 - Long Hood height = taller on the IHB unit

(compare to the relative height of the short hood)

3 - Atlas Model has 3 definite "stacks", cannot be seen on the IHB unit

4 - Long Hood vents = IHB has 3 x "long vents", Atlas has 3x "2 squarish" vent arrays

5 - Model is missing uncoupling levers and MU cables

6 - model ditchlights look too "cylindrical"

7 - cab headlights = IHB headlights are "over & under" VS Atlas "side-by-side"

8 - Fueltank - IHB tank looks "rounder", and protrudes furthur beyond the frame/deck edge

9 - batterybox (under the cab) = protrudes furthur to the rear along the deck on the IHB loco

10 - 1st handrail Stanchion behind cab = due to Point 9 above, IHB stanchion is a "Step-up" VS the Atlas stanchions are "all anchored to the deck"

11 - check the top edges of the 4 windows accross the cab front = IHB window top edges are "all at same height", VS Atlas 2 centre windows are "taller/higher"???

Β 

Moving to the long hood

Β 

DSC06603.JPG

Β 

VS

Β 

5832600903_1689fc5b7d_z_d.jpg

Β 

No _significant_ changes that I can see, but gives a better comparison of the long hood vents, hood door configuration, etc

(can't get a good angle on the rear headlight, so can't confirm the over/under VS L<>R orientation...)

Β 

SO, to wrap

- if you just "want a IHB genset now", and are willing to do the painting, the Atlas will work as-is as a "yep, it's a IHB genset" pinch-hitter.

Β 

However,

- the hood height,

- vent array,

- and exhaust stack config,

Β 

and to a lesser extent

- the fueltank shape,

- headlight orientation,

- cut-levers and MU cables,

- and handrail configuration

Β 

are all "tells" that something ain't quite "on the money" for "...IHB loco # 41??..."

Β 

I sincerely hope this helps...

Β 

Happy Modelling,

Aim to Improve,

Prof Klyzlr

Long hood's the big difference. The Atlas one's a pretty accurate Union Pacific 3GS21B (Some issues with cab roof overhang, but nothing that bothers me!)

Β 

I'm pretty sure the IHB ones aren't 3GS21C, as i think the c stands for six axle (or more specifically, 3 axle trucks)

Β 

Should note that I am not a Genset expert, just a Genset fan!

Long hood's the big difference. The Atlas one's a pretty accurate Union Pacific 3GS21B (Some issues with cab roof overhang, but nothing that bothers me!)

Β 

I'm pretty sure the IHB ones aren't 3GS21C, as i think the c stands for six axle (or more specifically, 3 axle trucks)

Β 

Should note that I am not a Genset expert, just a Genset fan!

Β 

Dear Jon,

Β 

Good catch, shouldn't have been copy/pasting text @ 01:00 after a long hard day at work...

Β 

http://indianarailroads.org/board/index.php?action=printpage;topic=7220.0

Β 

Looks like I copied the "the gensets on order" model #, instead of the "the four gensets already on the property are" model #.

Β 

http://dhke.com/ihbarchive/ihbgensets.html

Β 

For the record, the 4-axle gensets on IHB are indeed 3GS21B units...

Β 

Happy Modelling,

Aiming to get more sleep before posting,

Prof Klyzlr

Just noticed the equipment doors under the cab are different - a minor point.

Β 

Dear Jon,

Β 

That area under the cab usually carries the batteries on most diesel-electrics. Check Point 9, and knock-on Point 10 in the above checklist. The door array itself is something that most modellers would not worry about. However, the effect of the battery-box being longer, (extending towards the rear, along the deck), and thus affecting the length and positioning of the 1st stanchion behind the cab is one of the kind of details which can cause a nagging "it looks right in overall profile, but yet somehow not..." feeling in many modellers...

Β 

Ask me how I know this... :-)

Β 

Happy Modelling,

Aim to Improve,

Prof Klyzlr

You never know - the numbers of new build gensets with the -2 (or whatever its called) body-shell have to make it attractive for someone. I think the BNSF 3GS21C's have a similar shell, so maybe Athearn or somebody will do them - they're in their back yard.

Β 

(Which always slightly surprised me that Atlas beat them to it with the UP gensets, but I'm not complaining - I couldn't hope to own a fleet of Overland ones!)

Β 

Still very tempted to get a PHL one as well.

Archived