Β 

It is ironic that a place with larger trains actually is more accepting of exteme compression

Β 

Not sure it's ironic, just natural to my eye!

Β 

Just like you tend to see more compression and less outside the railway fence in O than in OO, and more in OO than in N....whether you're filling a basement or a plank it's a finite space that we want to do something interesting (to us anyhow!) in - train length being the driving factor with US instead of just scale though.

Β 

It's interesting to see that when UK modellers are given lots of space to build their aspirational layout they tend to build what they usually would, but with less compression, witness Retford and Martin Finney's layout in the latest MRJ

Hmmm - I suspect there are also plenty of layouts in the UK that are 'Multi-LDE' and are very successful in keeping their builders happy, but aren't the big finescale affairs that get magazine editors all excited - that kind of thing has rather fallen out of favour with at least the published/show going side of the hobby over here though. ;)

Β 

Trying to model a railway and not just a place has been done over here on the show circuit though, New Annington and Buckingham GC come to mind which both featured 3x 'LDE's' and proper signalling and operation - just like wot them American blokies get up to... ;)

Β 

Is there anything on the circuit (in UK outline) doing it nowadays? Not sure...

Posted 10 September 2011 - 16:11

Β 

snapback.pngKeith Canada, on 10 September 2011 - 06:38 , said:

Β 

I have ordered a couple of Lance's books ... and am looking forward to some inspirational reading.

Β 

I think I can safely say you will not be disappointed... :)

Β 

F-UnitMad - I finally received my books on Friday (second attempt to ship them) and you were right - I'm not disappointed!

Prof., I don't think it is that important! Main concern is that the "Miami" layouts run the risk of being seen as generic "Lance" type layouts as more sprout.

What I think people find exciting about those layouts is not the trackplan or the operation, but the way the scenery was executed. The trackplans are incredibly generic. By changing the vegetation and the names on the industries (and maybe the grafitti), you could relocate his layout to virtually any industrial park in the US built since the 1970's.

the only thing that says "Miami" is the vegetation.

I think one "school" of model railroading is simply to imitate another well-known modeler's style. Jack linked today to a thread on another forum where a lot of guys seem to be admiring a guy who's apparently doing everything he can to build a layout that looks just like George Sellios's. In fact, there's an annual convention for guys who want to do this. They used to call it "building a model of a model" -- in fact, there's a sort of sub-sub-hobby of guys who scratch build clones of FSM kits.

Β 

Each to his own.

F-UnitMad - I finally received my books on Friday (second attempt to ship them) and you were right - I'm not disappointed!

*phew!!* Thank goodness for that!

Β 

The point about Lance's layouts could be "Anywhere Ind. Park" is quite true; the fact that it's the scenery that says "Miami" should, I think, be seen as something of an achievement, given how little scenery there is....

Parts of that model would look very nice modelled as a Trafford Park (Manchester) what if scenario - i.e. that some of the industries between Kellogs and Containerbase still were rail served - that way some small wagonload traffic plus freightliner sets traversing back and forth or the terminal could be the end of the model.

Archived