Β 

Lance's latest progress photos (http://www.lancemindheim.com/progress_photos.htm) show his take on a Kibri Leibherr crane. I'm posting this because it shows how careful painting and weathering can turn something from good to spectacular - the Kibri kits are generally seen in the bare plastic, and whilst they are impressive, this just has that extra something...

I do note that the layout Lance had on eBay didn't sell, based on a post in the Atlas forum. I have my own ideas on that, which might be controversial, though it's worth pointing out that as segments of Allen McClelland's layouts became available, there was no shortage of takers, nor of people willing to transport same over several states. John Allen's layout, of course, was damaged beyond salvage in a fire, though even then there was at least one attempt to rescue part of it. It's interesting to note Lance's popularity in the UK, for which there might be some logic, and he's certainly a capable modeler, though by the same token, many Americans are puzzled by the popularity of Jerry Lewis in France.

Yes, Lance doesn't do "peninsulars" or "roundy rounds".

Β 

He is popular in the UK because the price of housing is so much higher and 95% of houses constructed in the UK do NOT have expansive basements. I like his concepts too. Small exquisitely detailed layouts remind me of jewels plus you can finish them before death (hopefully)......

Β 

Best, Pete.

Yes, Lance doesn't do "peninsulars" ...

I dunno... Downtown Spur has a pretty big peninsular, hasn't it..? (Or even two, depending on how you think of the plan). The difference being it has just one spur going up it... :)

Β 

I have a feeling that in Britain, because of both space constraints and the prominence of transportable layouts (i.e. for exhibitions) we "get" Lance's work perhaps a bit more readily than many Stateside modellers, brought up on a diet of Basement Empires to aim at as the "Ultimate" layout.

I do note that the layout Lance had on eBay didn't sell, based on a post in the Atlas forum. I have my own ideas on that, which might be controversial, though it's worth pointing out that as segments of Allen McClelland's layouts became available, there was no shortage of takers, nor of people willing to transport same over several states. John Allen's layout, of course, was damaged beyond salvage in a fire, though even then there was at least one attempt to rescue part of it. It's interesting to note Lance's popularity in the UK, for which there might be some logic, and he's certainly a capable modeler, though by the same token, many Americans are puzzled by the popularity of Jerry Lewis in France.

I was always puzzled by the popularity of Jerry Lewis - full stop!. Jerry Lee Lewis - now you are talking! Like Cool, Man!

:sungum: :danced:

Jordan, yes but not a "peninsular" as most 'Stateside modelers would understand it - an invogue device to increase the size of the mainline run with a divider down the middle.

I have a quite large basement and absolutely no desire to fill it with mainline trains for the "ultimate" layout. I'm firmly of the opinion (note: my opinion) that a lot of modelers over here bite off way more than they can chew with regards to size. Often they are things of wonder but more often are of patchy quality because the modeler has not time enough to invest in it.

Β 

I would like to see, however, Lance's concepts applied to more non-Miami area based layouts - I'm thinking specifically of something from the desert South West or Mid Atlantic States or even the rust belt of the North East (Bayonne being my particular favourite rather than say, Brooklyn. The nuances are subtle).

Β 

Best, Pete.

Jack, I meant Jerry Lewis, the octogenarian ex-partner of Dean Martin. Several years ago, a Los Angeles radio DJ impersonated that Jerry Lewis and, on his program, called France's President Chirac -- and got through! THAT's how much the French admire the guy, and it gives an indication of how opinions can differ, such that an American radio audience would find it hilarious. I do find it interesting that Mindheim's layout didn't sell, at a price quite possibly lower than the materials, and certainly lower than you might pay for custom-built structures.

Well, Lance will not pack and ship and as you say he does not have a huge following in the 'States.

Β 

I used to like Jerry Lewis when I was a boy particularly that scene with the vacuum cleaner in the departmental store......er, I cannot remember any thing else... The UK had Norman Wisdom, similar humour, very popular in Albania!

Β 

Best, Pete.

JWB - I realised that you meant Deano's partner - I just didn't find him funny at all.

The Atlas forum has people saying that the ebay photos of Lances Layout weren't good enough - but I get the impression that most of them have never heard of him, or seen his articles/layout pictures in any of the Klam-bake publications

Eh, the reasons might tend toward controversy, and I think even the Atlas posters are trying to avoid that. I would say that Lance is a very, very capable and talented modeler, and anyone who engages him as a custom layout builder will certainly get high quality workmanship and conscientious execution. I think his personal modeling style is somehow limiting -- North America is a huge place that stimulates the imagination endlessly, and to focus on an industrial district in a second-rank urban area maybe doesn't catch everyone's aspiration. McClelland and John Allen had a better idea of how to use the canvas. And even some UK modelers like Peter North seem to capture the atmosphere more accurately. But that's just my opinion.

As you say, its your opinion and everyone is entitled to their own.

Β 

I would say that McClelland and John Allen have/had a different idea of how to use the canvas. I would dispute better - but only because they don't appeal to me personally.

Β 

Maybe tastes differ over here - fair enough?

Β 

I would like to see, however, Lance's concepts applied to more non-Miami area based layouts - I'm thinking specifically of something from the desert South West or Mid Atlantic States or even the rust belt of the North East (Bayonne being my particular favourite rather than say, Brooklyn. The nuances are subtle).

Β 

Best, Pete.

Β 

Dear Pete,

Β 

Might be worthy of a seperate thread, but I'm intriguied by this. Any inspirational pics you can provide of said "non-Miami" RR ops?

Which of "Lance's concepts" do you see being applied?

Β 

Think this could be Important...

Β 

Happy Modelling,

Aim to Improve,

Prof Klyzlr

Prof.,

I don't think it is that important!

Main concern is that the "Miami" layouts run the risk of being seen as generic "Lance" type layouts as more sprout. There are other locations where smaller business' are serviced by Rail, like Phoenix - which would be good to see for a change of scene. Bayonne is interesting for the plethora of small independent Oil/Gasoline distributers etc. North Carolina for it's rural Aberdeen & Rockfish RR type shortlines, New Jersey for the SMS Rail Lines at Pureland Industrial Complex and other sites.

Β 

Let's look at other locations, may be my response. I'm not keeping a bunch hidden up my sleeve!

Β 

Best, Pete.

... I think his personal modeling style is somehow limiting .....

...even some UK modelers like Peter North seem to capture the atmosphere more accurately...

He's settled on modelling a given region, is all I see it as, rather than "limiting" - and highly successfully at that. Of course it's not going to capture the imagination of everyone - no single layout anywhere will ever do that!!

Mr North models the Mid West, in a different Era to boot; I don't think the "more accurately" comparison stands, to be honest - they have both captured the look of entirely different regions.

My impression is that Lance type layouts are what a small proportion of American modellers settle for if they don't have room for a basement empire. Many would prefer to settle for roundy roundy on a door. It's interesting to see that when UK modellers are given lots of space to build their aspirational layout they tend to build what they usually would, but with less compression, witness Retford and Martin Finney's layout in the latest MRJ

Β 

... It's interesting to see that when UK modellers are given lots of space to build their aspirational layout they tend to build what they usually would, but with less compression, witness Retford and Martin Finney's layout in the latest MRJ

Yes - it's just following the British trend of modelling a place rather than a route. I'd love to see what US modellers would put in Pete Waterman's barn - bet it'd be rather more than just one Station at nearly scale size... ;)

Conversley, I'd quite like to see a US model done in the UK 'place' style, on a large scale. If a large UK yard was 35 foot long in scale size, how long would a large US yard be? It is ironic that a place with larger trains actually is more accepting of exteme compression, although of course when you get to long trains the difference between 1:76.2 and 1:87 has more of an impact.

Prof.,

I don't think it is that important!

Main concern is that the "Miami" layouts run the risk of being seen as generic "Lance" type layouts as more sprout. There are other locations where smaller business' are serviced by Rail, like Phoenix - which would be good to see for a change of scene. Bayonne is interesting for the plethora of small independent Oil/Gasoline distributers etc. North Carolina for it's rural Aberdeen & Rockfish RR type shortlines, New Jersey for the SMS Rail Lines at Pureland Industrial Complex and other sites.

Β 

Let's look at other locations, may be my response. I'm not keeping a bunch hidden up my sleeve!

Β 

Best, Pete.

Β 

Dear Pete,

Β 

Oh dear, I may have just found the next "3AM" layout... :bomb_mini:

Β 

http://www.chicagoswitching.com/v6/articles/article.asp?articleid=107

Β 

Particularly those last 2 pics...

Β 

Happy Modelling,

Aim to Improve,

Prof Klyzlr

For all the urban canyon, dense trackage, street running fans - imagine this, either as a modular set-up, or in Trainz Simulator, as a switching layout - of course there are an awful lot of LDEs in there too! :good_mini:

Β 

post-6688-0-87137500-1315919128_thumb.jpg

Β 

If anyone wants a copy of this full-size, an email to me for your address to send it to will get you it - it is just under 1mb

Actually, there's a real-life example of a layout incorporating a fully scale version of a yard. About 1970, a freight with some cars loaded with ammunition headed for Viet Nam blew up in the then-SP Roseville, CA yard -- a major facility. Many years of lawsuits resulted, and there was still unexploded ordnance to be dug up during renovations to the yard in this century. As part of the lawsuits, a full-scale N size model was built as a courtroom exhibit. When this was over, the SP donated it to a club just around the corner (figuratively) from where I live, and its existing layout was extensively modified to incorporate it. So I've seen it. My reaction is that it doesn't do much -- the club doesn't operate it as a prototype yard, if it's used at all, it's just a big visible staging area or "freight car sink" as a US modeler described that sort of thing. (If you give it some thought, even a club-size layout can't accommodate the actual traffic a real Roseville yard would put out each day anyhow. You'd sort of need scale size Oaklands and Eugenes and West Coltons and North Plattes to throw it all back again.) And the surrounding scenery and structures aren't modeled at all -- Roseville has a busy street with interesting architecture fronting the south side of the yard, and the Sierras are on the horizon. If all you do is model the track arrangement, you haven't done much. On the other hand, if you're making a genuinely artistic interpretation, you can do it with much less.

Archived