Photos of "New" Stock of North American Prototypes

Hi,

Here's a couple of pics of my latest acquisition for Palmetto, although it's not a completely new model.

After seeing this car on 'Harrington' I just had to get one - a Walthers Gunderson 50' Hi-cube paper box car,

in their 'Platinum Line'.

Although a tad expensive at £18.60 ($30.00) the level of detail and finish is superb. I would love to get hold of the CSX 'Big Blue' one.

post-7898-0-20939500-1316002959_thumb.jpg

post-7898-0-27929200-1316003051_thumb.jpg

regards,

Mal

Another nice model.

Btw is the center beam flatcar concept used in the UK?

Thanks for posting, Jon.

Best, Pete.

I don't think so - not enough space in our loading gauge I would guess...

and just for Jon...

post-238-0-37916200-1316035615_thumb.jpg

UPY137, officially known as a Control Car Remote Control Locomotive or CCRCL... no prime mover, just radio gear. It allows non RC fitted locos to be run by a single operator with a chest pack, like this fella here riding the tankcar in Tucson Yard

post-238-0-54005900-1316036136_thumb.jpg

Nice hat.

...and just for Jon...

UPY137, officially known as a Control Car Remote Control Locomotive or CCRCL... no prime mover, just radio gear. It allows non RC fitted locos to be run by a single operator with a chest pack,...

... and, while it's not a "bought one", here's a kitbash of said that's still "W.i.P", but is almost done...

http://www.youtube.c...bed/GBkDuq0ftd0

(Really suspect Jon and I should start a seperate "Remotes and CCRCLs" thread... :-) ).

BTW, apologies for the video quality, shot quickly under odd lighting via BlackBerry...

Happy Modelling,

Aim to Improve,

Prof Klyzlr

I don't think so - not enough space in our loading gauge I would guess...

and just for Jon...

Dear Jon, Dr G-F,

Whoops, detail gotcha. Believe Jon is interested in modelling UPY 16x which has a nose headlight and a blanked-over cab headlight. UPY137 as shown has no nose headlight and the cab 'over + under' headlight active...

As always, when aiming to model a specific unit, check the photos... :-)

Happy Modelling,

Aim to Improve,

Prof Klyzlr

Think I want to get a couple more. And to add the rigging (on the "one day" list). Be interesting to see how well it runs unloaded if I bring it next month.

As it's Atlas i'd expect they have put a reasonable weight on it? And on our layout whilst the train length is long-ish it's fairly flat and with fairly big curves, we don't generally have to change the weight of RTR stock for reliability so it should be okay I suspect. Look forward to having a good look at Barrow. ;)

Whoops, detail gotcha. Believe Jon is interested in modelling UPY 16x which has a nose headlight and a blanked-over cab headlight. UPY137 as shown has no nose headlight and the cab 'over + under' headlight active...

As always, when aiming to model a specific unit, check the photos... :-)

An ancestry thing maybe, ex Mopac GE's versus ex SP GE's?

(Edit - I think yes, UPY137 was a B23-7 - ex UP143 ex MP4643 ex MP2332)

This showed up in the post today. One of those ebay opportunities, at just over $80 new in the box, I just couldn't pass it up. The U50s, which use the same running gear, are in-country, and I suspect someone is making space in the warehouse.

Although Uncle Pete was my absolute favorite when I was young, it isn't my preferred flavor of motive power these days, unless of course it is something unique to the UP...

After 20 minutes each way on rollers, she was given a quick workout on the test track, and couldn't be a sweeter run, very smooth on straight DC. Of course, she's going back in the box, I have way too many projects going on right now, and that gas turbine is just going to have to wait its turn for sound.

post-41-0-56744400-1316133737_thumb.jpg

Really nice job on the cab, the stock lighting sucks though, but hey, that's not a hard one to fix.

post-41-0-09932100-1316133739_thumb.jpg

I like porches. I always thought they were attractive on SD-40s and I think Athearn did a fine job on the Veranda's porch.

post-41-0-27931000-1316133740_thumb.jpg

Very nice Pete! I love my turbine, sweet as a nut when it comes to running qualities too. Ulrich hobbies do superb lighting and sound kits for the Veranda, here's mine. Had to leave the tender off due to clearance issues

Thanks, very nice, yes, I've already had a recommendation in regards to the Ulrich lighting kit.

Does your Veranda have the QSI or Tsunami sound fitted?

• RMweb Gold

Thanks, very nice, yes, I've already had a recommendation in regards to the Ulrich lighting kit.

Does your Veranda have the QSI or Tsunami sound fitted?

It's the QSI sound chip Pete, the Tsunami was unavailable at the time. Usually prefer tsunami's in my diesels but the the QSI turbine sound is pretty good. Mind you, I've never heard a real turbine so it could be someone's hair-dryer for all I know!

Er, how do you guys keep up with these changes?

Best, Pete.

Dear Pete,

It's called too-much-time Googling,

LocoPhotos.com , RailcarPhotos.com , rrpicturearchives.com , and railpictures.net ,

(amongst others),

a want to "get the model I'm building reasonably correct",

and a vaguely firm idea of what I'd like to model from the outset... ;-)

Happy Modelling,

Aim to Improve,

Prof Klyzlr

Archived