Black River and Western RR. Ringoes, New Jersey.

• 2 weeks later...

The other end of this "branch" - although if you notice from the sign the line did run to Lambertville (where it linked latterly with the Pennsylvania). I've walked part of that line where the rails still exist. Linearly the line went: Lambertville, Ringoes, Flemington and Three Bridges.

By the way Ringoes is named after John Ringo.

Best, Pete.

So does it still run to Lambertville or is that end now defunct.

On a bit of a tangent re: the rails in the second pic....a few years ago I ran across a video clip, on youtube I think, of a very slow, short freight consist,it was running on a rural piece of track in that kind of shape, surrounded by trees, weeds etc...it was on a gentle curve so the videographer was able to safely catch a direct head-on video...you would have sworn the cars were going to tip right off the track they were swaying so badly, even the loco looked like it was on 360degree gimbals it was rocking,rolling,tipping and swaying so much....it was kind of impressive to see...unfortunately I haven't been able to find that clip again as I'm sure you would enjoy it.

Cheers

Gene

Unfortunately it does not.

Though last year as I was walking up Bridge Street in Lambertville a little Speedster shot across the road behind a galloping man with a red flag............

Here:

post-9016-0-14296600-1316363853_thumb.jpg

The old Lambertville Station on the right - this old mainline ran from Trenton to Belvidere.

Best, Pete.

Yes it is, I'm very lucky that it is quite close - the next line I want to photograph for here is the Morristown and Erie (It seems that it is possible to photograph their "shops" from an overbridge). Anyone has any requests for a subject matter let me know, I can't get out every week but I'll do my best.

Cheers, Pete.

So does it still run to Lambertville or is that end now defunct.

On a bit of a tangent re: the rails in the second pic....a few years ago I ran across a video clip, on youtube I think, of a very slow, short freight consist,it was running on a rural piece of track in that kind of shape, surrounded by trees, weeds etc...it was on a gentle curve so the videographer was able to safely catch a direct head-on video...you would have sworn the cars were going to tip right off the track they were swaying so badly, even the loco looked like it was on 360degree gimbals it was rocking,rolling,tipping and swaying so much....it was kind of impressive to see...unfortunately I haven't been able to find that clip again as I'm sure you would enjoy it.

Cheers

Gene

Is this the video? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g11qWro1LzQ

Has anyone successfully modeled that action?

I'm half-convinced it is due: differing heights of the ties (subsidence?) coupled with the US tradition of staggering, alternative rail joints..........but i'm open to offers!

I'm toying with the idea of trying it in O Gauge 1/48 where there is a little more mass.

Best, Pete.

Pete - the answer is yes - and here is a Vimeo http://www.vimeo.com/17870094 Sorry for the late answer - been out

From the comment "Atlas GP7 and Athearn boxcars" I gather that's in HO - which is most impressive!!

I have tried the 'wobbly track' look to a slight extent on Schiller Point, which convinced me that it's perfectly feasible in O Scale. The key though is getting a head-on viewpoint, as in those video clips. I'm doing a new HO layout in my attic, and initially tried some rough track (shimming Peco Code 83), but not being able to easily get a head-on view means it would be a bit of a wasted effort, in my situation.

If or maybe when I do another O Scale shunty-plank (and blame Jack's bad influence ;) ) I shall definitely go overboard with the rough track, though - I think it works very well in O. ...

Possibly, if they're light to start with, such as Intermountain kits and some Weaver boxcars & hoppers I've had. But I shouldn't think they need extra weight beyond something like the NMRA guidelines (whatever they are - never bothered myself!!)

The only other thing I'd bear in mind is that on spurs your wagons will need to be rather less than free-rolling, in order to stay in place once spotted, without rolling off into the dips in the track!! A small piece of packing foam (as in old Athearn Blue Boxes!!) glued under the floor to bear on an axle usually gives sufficient resistance.

Great! Couple of points bear repeating.

On that line above, the feldsbahn, the track joints are not staggered so the action of the train rises and falls together. In the US it looks worse because of the stagger which tends to give a lateral rise and fall to the whole train or a waddling effect.

I'm still trying to work out why the high points tend to be on the rail joints falling to a dip in the middle of the length of track (generally but not 100% always). It's probably just the extra amount of stiffness caused by the mass of the "fishplates". What is difficult to figure is the amount of the deflection (it's not much) on the ground.

Thinking "aloud" really here......

Best, Pete.

Archived