The most handsome GP30 left in the World?

It's the "New Hope & Ivyland RR". They run a serious shortline but also have good workshops and a tourist run which is what 2198 was working yesterday in New Hope PA.

It's a former Reading branch and the original "woman tied to the track" line as used in the very early movie "The Perils of Pauline". New Hope is very photogenic town and situated right on the Delaware River about two hours from New York about and an hour from Philly.

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Gold

Distinctly purty! GP30 seems to have been more successful than either its predecessor GP20 or successor GP35, both in reliability and longevity. [GP35 electrics were so bad that UP, SP and ATSF all declined to buy the successor GP40.] It also represents GM in a more corporate mode, with the automotive people having a hand in its body design, and the sales people calling the shots on the name - after Geeps 18 & 20, this should have been 22.5! But this was the outset of the HP race, so a bit of bragging was in order. Bachmann produced a GP30 in the '80s that seemed fair enough, including two version of the demonstrator, as 1962 (year) and 5639 (some sort of serial number - GP20 demos were in the 5628 area, immortalised by Tyco, who moulded the number into the number box, whatever livery GP20 you bought, it was 5628!).

Mike,

It's also one of the places where Philadelphians go to see and be seen, slap bang in the centre of Bucks County.

If you're a fat cat Lawyer or CPA it's where you take your vintage, new or more usually customized Harley to hang out at the bars with your bandana - no helmet laws...........very good for Bike spotting. Upmarket.

Best, Pete.

Distinctly purty! GP30 seems to have been more successful than either its predecessor GP20 or successor GP35, both in reliability and longevity. [GP35 electrics were so bad that UP, SP and ATSF all declined to buy the successor GP40.] It also represents GM in a more corporate mode, with the automotive people having a hand in its body design, and the sales people calling the shots on the name - after Geeps 18 & 20, this should have been 22.5! But this was the outset of the HP race, so a bit of bragging was in order. Bachmann produced a GP30 in the '80s that seemed fair enough, including two version of the demonstrator, as 1962 (year) and 5639 (some sort of serial number - GP20 demos were in the 5628 area, immortalised by Tyco, who moulded the number into the number box, whatever livery GP20 you bought, it was 5628!).

The Bachmann GP30 actually started life as...get this...Lionel, circa 1978. Seriously. It then went to Bachmann (who added the bolt details to the roof hatches and messed up the ends with oversized grabs) with a detour thru Bev Bel who sold most as shell only, but put some on modified Athearn GP35 frames when the Athearn narrow motors became available.

That shell, and most brass models, suffer from The Fan Mistake (as dubbed by Andy Harman). The fans are spaced too far apart so that the front fan and edge of fan hatch is in front of the radiator grills...should be even with the front edge of the grills. Proto's shell corrected this. Plano also sold a stainless steel hatch of the correct length that could be used to correct the mess.

There was an Athearn GP30 c.1964, but it's ghastly. I have one as a curiosity. Rumour has it that the die was modified to make the Athearn wide body GP35.

Distinctly purty! GP30 seems to have been more successful than either its predecessor GP20 or successor GP35, both in reliability and longevity. [GP35 electrics were so bad that UP, SP and ATSF all declined to buy the successor GP40.] It also represents GM in a more corporate mode, with the automotive people having a hand in its body design,
OTOH, the GP35 styling, especially the angular, work-day cab design (not much automotive influence there) hung on for quite a few more decades, until more or less superceded by the wide-nose cab designs common today.

Clearly Its the GP30s faired rooftop area (to hold newly introduced centralized air equipment) that makes all the difference - without that sheet metal, the GP30 is basically a GP20...

• RMweb Gold

OTOH, the GP35 styling, especially the angular, work-day cab design (not much automotive influence there) hung on for quite a few more decades, until more or less superceded by the wide-nose cab designs common today.

Clearly Its the GP30s faired rooftop area (to hold newly introduced centralized air equipment) that makes all the difference - without that sheet metal, the GP30 is basically a GP20...

No question, the 35-line cab design was a great success, as you say. The GP20 in your pic is a San Bernardino-remanufactured GP20u and thus looks a bit more "cluttered" than the originals, which were rather sleek looking, as EMD's first 4-axle low-short-hood design. Interesting to recall that EMD had been in the loco business for more than 20 years before they put a turbocharger on any of their production models. I think UP did the development work on their own successful "Omaha GPs" and effectively twisted GM's arm to put them in the catalogue.

I'll give it high marks, Pete. Really nice paint scheme.

I like GP30s anyway, and I sure do enjoy seeing them (well, they're known as GP39Es -- beefed up '30s in the same carbody) working around Seattle in the yards and occasionally on the Renton Rocket. You know, that design is going on 50 years old.

It took me nearly 20 years before I could appreciate the 'different' lines of the GP30 but now I do (and I love 'em!).

No, not for me... I've never liked the GP30 look.

Strangely it reminds me very much of the modification made to a few unfortunate Lancaster Bombers to give them the range for intended Far East Ops near the end of WW2, with a big fuel tank on top of the cockpit. I'll bet the crews just loved that hare-brained Boffin scheme!!

Looks aside, it's a cracking paint job, in a very 'classic' style - how long will it stay so polished..??

They keep 'em pretty clean over there. For a "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder" see the companion thread on the C39-8 #8208 (it's the black loco just to the right of the GP 30 in one of the pictures above). That really is an "odd" locomotive - but I like them too.

Best, Pete.

Archived