Hornby corroded class 31 chassis

locospotter

• RMweb Premium

Hornby won't repair them any more. So you'll get offered a £100 voucher, which can only be redeemed via their online shop. I've found it all rather frustrating because there are no suitable replacement 31s available. Indeed in the 2014 programme there is a Devon & Cornwall 31, but too modern for my modelling period. So think carefully before you send them off. Indeed the R2421 Dutch Class 31 110 don't seem to be as effected as R2413 31270.

I'd have loved the body from my 31270 back to repair and fit to another chassis, because Hornby haven't produced a BR Blue super detailed Class 31 since 2008  :O But despite promises to return the body I've never received it  :scratchhead: I assume its in a landfill by now  :O

My advice to anyone who feels competent is to trim the ends of the chassis (grinding wheel in a modellers drill works well), so if the chassis does swell, it won't crack the body. Sell the duff chassis for bits on Ebay, then acquire a later manufacture 31, swop the bodies, and sell that body off.

If you do end up sending a damaged one back to Hornby for a voucher dont send the old bodyshell with it as you wont get it back! Obviously if its totally split and trashed it doesnt matter.

I had a 31110 (R2421) that had just started developing this problem, the cab roofs had faint hairline cracks just starting. On removing the chassis to see what was going on the cab ends broke off the chassis casting and the splits in the bodyshell closed up and are hardly visable anymore.

I removed the old body and kept it, returning only the damaged chassis and a brief covering note (mainly as to why the body was absent) Hornby gave me a voucher which I used to buy a new NR yellow 31 which I used as a chassis donor for my old 31110 bodyshell. The spare brand new NR yellow bodyshell went on ebay!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi, I bought two Hornby 31's.

R2963, 31439 'North Yorkshire Moors Railway' in Regional Railways livery.

R2900XX, 31247 in Railfreight grey with yellow ends, with Hornby sound.

I don't think either of them has the suspect chassis, but would appreciate confirmation or otherwise?

I actually bought 31439 with the intention of fitting DCC sound to it. However, I found a new sound fitted 31247 at pretty much the same price as buying a sound chip and having fitted, so I bought it and swapped the bodies over - not quite a 5 minute job as there are differences in the lighting.

So I have the R2963 chassis (only test run) fitted with the 31247 body which I don't need. So if anyone wants the loco please contact me via a PM. I'm happy to split the chassis and body if it helps anyone solve their 31 problem.

I'd also be interested in knowing if they are still accepting returns. I think mine was bought from Hattons as a gift, so no receipt. 

To be honest returning the body shells isn't going to be of any value to Hornby and I doubt (?) they sell spare body shells themselves. 

So, one might as well keep the body shell and recycle it back into the community to assist those whose cracked. My chassis simply fell to pieces in my hands when I put a decoder in. 

Personally the offer of a voucher is interesting but of limited value. I'm moving away from 00 and the Hornby webshop doesn't have much of interest to spend a voucher on. I thought perhaps Lyddle End buildings but they don't seem to have a complete range on offer through their shop. 

Best, Andy

It seems they are still accepting returns. I have now returned three at different time as they became faulty over a long period. In no case did I have a receipt:

- A green one returned complete several years ago - I received, after a very long time, a completely rebuilt or new green model

- A grey yellow one returned complete within the last two years I think. After a time, I received a 20% off voucher from their website when they sent me an update letter to say they were still waiting for parts. Eventually they sent me another letter saying the model could not be repaired and I received an offer code for £125 from their website (new - class 31 is around £149). They kept the model.

- A blue one where I returned a chassis block only in January 2014. After about a month, I received a replacement chassis block only

Some models that appear fine can six months later crack up. I thought my grey yellow one was fine when I sent the green one back but it eventually went the same way.

It seems they are still accepting returns. I have now returned three at different time as they became faulty over a long period. In no case did I have a receipt:

- A green one returned complete several years ago - I received, after a very long time, a completely rebuilt or new green model

- A grey yellow one returned complete within the last two years I think. After a time, I received a 20% off voucher from their website when they sent me an update letter to say they were still waiting for parts. Eventually they sent me another letter saying the model could not be repaired and I received an offer code for £125 from their website (new - class 31 is around £149). They kept the model.

- A blue one where I returned a chassis block only in January 2014. After about a month, I received a replacement chassis block only

Some models that appear fine can six months later crack up. I thought my grey yellow one was fine when I sent the green one back but it eventually went the same way.

Thanks for the info!

Don't suppose you have the returns address offhand, do you? Or do I need to give them advance notice that it's on the way?

Sorry, didn't mean to sound so needy!!

Thanks for the info!

Don't suppose you have the returns address offhand, do you? Or do I need to give them advance notice that it's on the way?

Sorry, didn't mean to sound so needy!!

Give them a call or email them. I've found them to be fairly quick in responding, and they'll let you know what to do.

They will probably assign you a case number, and you'll need to quote that on your package so that they'll know what to do with them.

• RMweb Premium

That is interesting. It seems you might have dealt with someone there who knows what they are doing!

I sent my R2413 in October last year and received a voucher for £100, but only redeemable in their online shop.

I asked if they could supply a chassis block so could repair the loco, and they couldn't. They couldn't supply another Class 31, because they haven't got any. I asked the loco back to repair myself, and they haven't returned it. I asked if the body could be returned and they couldn't even do that (guess its in a landfill tip near Margate now?). The body I could have repaired and put on another chassis from a later model, which isn't effected.

I asked if they had any BR Blue Class 56 (R3050 / R3050A), and none available. Yet in early January, another part of Hornby (yes the same company) was selling one via their eBay shop. So asked if I could use my voucher and the answer was NO, because its a different part of Hornby. Arrgghhhhh!!!!!! Its almost like the classic "computer says no" syndrome. I wasn't bothered if the box was slightly crushed, its a loco that fits my chosen period that is my desire!   :cry:

All I wanted was a BR blue Class 31 (and no I don't want the railroad version), which they haven't issued since 2008, yet this is the livery this class has worn for the longest. A class 31/4 refurbished in BR blue would be superb for my modelling period.

So overall I've got a voucher I can only spend in their online shop, and there is nothing I'm interested in (until the large logo Class 56 makes its appearance sometime in 2014), hopefully before the voucher runs out. 

I'm quite sad about this sorry affair, because I'm very frustrated with Hornby in terms of how they have passed me from person to person and not for filled promises. If they cannot do that, don't make them, because it annoys the person at the other end even more. On the other hand, I love the super detailed diesels (Class 08 / 09 / 31 / 50 / 56 / 60), which I don't think we'll see the like of in terms of detail for some years to come.

So if you have Class 31 with chassis block failure, but you want retain the body, I'd strongly advise not returning the body, because you won't get it back even if you ask!

Edited by richierich

So if you have Class 31 with chassis block failure, but you want retain the body, I'd strongly advise not returning the body, because you won't get it back even if you ask!

It's funny... I sent back 3 31's and two 50's at one point. All came back repaired / new chassis and I even received a new body in addition to the one that I had sent back!

Anyone need a spare Blue body?

• 3 weeks later...

Guys.

Finally got round to sending my 31 174 (weathered|) off to Hornby. I included a short letter explaining that I had retained the body as it was weathered and that I thought that thewy weren't doing weathered at the moment.

New chassis received in 8 days and it's a weathered one.

Great service. And a refund of postage to come.

Wow!

Dave

• RMweb Premium

This seems bizarre they are now sending chassis. At the time I called I was told to return the whole loco. At the time I said the chassis was the issue, and happy to repair the body. If they'd supplied a chassis by exchange would have been a happy bunny.

Despite receiving an email from Hornby I ask if I'd received the body from the service department (which I hadn't and still haven't). Left and right hand, plus lack of co-ordination seem to rule  :nono:

Edited by richierich

Guys.

Finally got round to sending my 31 174 (weathered|) off to Hornby. I included a short letter explaining that I had retained the body as it was weathered and that I thought that thewy weren't doing weathered at the moment.

Wow!

Dave

This has just get me in panic mode(!!!!!!!!)

As I've been told (re-assured) several times on this and related threads that 31174 wasn't one of the 'danger' models.

Just dug my example out of the cupboard - upon a cursory examination it appears to be o.k.

But for how much longer?

I thought my R2420 had escaped the rot but just last week I noticed the first signs of trouble, with small cracks appearing at diagonally opposite cab corners, and a slight droop to the chassis at one end only. The problem seems to be the metal cab floor/support at each end which screw on to the chassis proper. These floors have distorted and tried to stretch the body and also pushed the chassis end down slightly. When I tried to reduce the end overhang one end just disintegrated. Since these floors also retain the coupling guides, I pieced the bits together and Black-Tacked them into place temporarily.

I have emailed Hornby's support line and Simon Kohler with photos of the problem to see what to do next.

As my example has had the fan mechanism removed and Howes' class 30 sounds and two speakers installed, as well as renumbering (D5513) and numerous paint modifications (green cab window surrounds, small yellow warning panels and some weathering), I don't want to part with the body.

• RMweb Premium

On one of mine, R2421, the die cast metal plate that screws on and forms part of the floor, this had distorted and when removed it crumbled. I wonder if this distorts and causes the chassis to fail by putting this under stress?

I didn't think the issue effected 31 174 (R2414b) either?

It was just the R2413 / R2420 / R2421 which where the initial three releases manufactured late 2004 / 2005.

Yes but then look at the below (Post 519) which I have re-quoted for you.

Guys.

Wow!

Dave

On one of mine, R2421, the die cast metal plate that screws on and forms part of the floor, this had distorted and when removed it crumbled. I wonder if this distorts and causes the chassis to fail by putting this under stress?

I'm not sure, but that is what the problem was with my 50's.  The chassis seems fine on them, but if you look further back in this thread, you'll see how it literally crumbled on two of mine.

• RMweb Premium

Yes but then look at the below (Post 519) which I have re-quoted for you.

That is worrying if chassis on later batches are failing. But I have heard of people buying later models to swop the earlier release bodily, then selling the later body and earlier chassis (a bit naughty really). So we need a bit more information to understand the age of the chassis.

Edited by richierich