Dragon Steels, South Wales metals traffic 1990-1992

Wayne 37901

• 1 month later...

Well, after visiting the Cheltenham show yesterday I felt inspired to have a productive day. I've been busy most of the day working on stock and making a start on the fiddle yard and have finished the frame, it just needs the deck adding then I can make the cassettes.

I've also finished painting the SSA scrap wagons that can be seen earlier in the thread. These will be used to represent a service from Tees Yard, these need lettering next.

Cheers

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Further progress made earlier this evening.

The basic fiddle yard has been completed and tested with a prototype cassette and I'm happy to say it worked first time. Regular pilot 08664 being given the honour for the test runs, although it found a couple of tweaks needed I'm happy with the outcome.

On the stock front, the SSAs have now been tested, lettered up and given a good dose of weathering. Next on the stock list is to make a start on some slab carrying wagons. The kits are ready and standing by!

I can now finally see the home stretch in sight and it won't be long before Dragon Steels sees it's first inaugural workings.

More soon

• 1 month later...

Well it's been a while since any postings on this, but I have been doing some modelling.

Finally out of the works are the SSA scrap wagons.

They are seen here after arrival on a metals working from Tees Yard.

post-6773-0-11515300-1434222750_thumb.jpg

post-6773-0-97219100-1434222764_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

• 2 weeks later...

Good evening,

I've had a request for a couple of pictures so I've taken a few in natural light this time, it does make a difference.

A few jobs still to be done but those can wait till the other half is working evenings.

The first shot shows the pilot bringing a couple of empty SSAs from the scrap bay after unloading. They will return to Tees Yard on a service later in the day.

The second shows 08664 stabled between duties as 37904 arrives to run round it's coil train.

Finally a view of how the scenic section is viewed. This is awaiting boxing in and final tidying up to look more presentable.

Cheers

post-6773-0-59782400-1435427843_thumb.jpg

post-6773-0-93741600-1435427891.jpg

post-6773-0-14712600-1435428170_thumb.jpg

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Looking very good Wayne. Nice to see all your hard work coming together.

Rob

Brian

Not the only one with some unbuilt POA kits, shame that no one ever did the Allied Steel & Wire Blackadders!

Mark Saunders

Well I've got two of these, ready to go....

http://www.51l.co.uk/abwpoa.htm

As well as 4-5 Cambrian POA 'Standard Wagon' kits.

Nigel Burkin describes scratchbuilding one of the ASW Black Adder boxes on a Bachmann tank wagon underframe - allowing for the limitations of the underframe; which I could live with - as the underframe would be fine for the for the ASW (internal use) 'Red Adders' which were rebuilt with the same bodies, but unrefurbished underframes/suspension:-

http://www.bookworldws.co.uk/book-building-modern-scale-wagons-p-4989.html

Now, throw in an HEA or two, recoded HSA.

Blend in one of the two BR prototypes built on HBA underframes. 

Voila - enough different scrap wagons to fill a layout.

Brian R

Edited by br2975

Brian

Not the only one with some unbuilt POA kits, shame that no one ever did the Allied Steel & Wire Blackadders!

Mark Saunders

Well I've got two of these, ready to go....

http://www.51l.co.uk/abwpoa.htm

As well as 4-5 Cambrian POA 'Standard Wagon' kits.

Nigel Burkin describes scratchbuilding one of the ASW Black Adder boxes on a Bachmann tank wagon underframe - allowing for the limitations of the underframe; which I could live with - as the underframe would be fine for the for the ASW (internal use) 'Red Adders' which were rebuilt with the same bodies, but unrefurbished underframes/suspension:-

http://www.bookworldws.co.uk/book-building-modern-scale-wagons-p-4989.html

Now, throw in an HEA or two, recoded HSA.

Blend in one of the two BR prototypes built on HBA underframes. 

Voila - enough different scrap wagons to fill a layout.

Brian R

Brian

I have a handful of Bachmann POA's as Chassis doners for the Powell Duffryn built ones but had always hoped that someone would produce a kit (or at least a body)!

The ex PEA ones have been available from Appleby Engineering!

Mark

Mark,

The bodies should be quite simple to build, I'll be doing one or two at some point. Even if you want a rake you could do them in batches.

I really need some Black Adders, another thing on the list. Although I've seen a picture of a small layout friendly scrap train so I'll probably start that soon, which will be my first scratch build project for a long time.

Cheers

Mark,

The bodies should be quite simple to build, I'll be doing one or two at some point. Even if you want a rake you could do them in batches.

I really need some Black Adders, another thing on the list. Although I've seen a picture of a small layout friendly scrap train so I'll probably start that soon, which will be my first scratch build project for a long time.

Cheers

Wayne

These are on my to do list behind Lackenby Coke hoppers, Scunthorpe Coke hoppers, Coalite Coke hoppers two types,  Manvers Tipplers at last four types, Kellingly Tipplers, Orgreave Tipplers and many more!

Mark

• 1 month later...

Good evening,

Not much to report as I've mainly been doing the cosmetic side of the layout and making it look presentable and testing some newly built stock.

Whilst shopping earlier I picked this 'Bookazine' up. I have the one on Power Station coal traffic already, but as I've always had an interest in the steel industry it seemed fitting to add this one to the collection. Not had chance for a proper read yet but I'll settle down with a cuppa later and make a start.

post-6773-0-41177400-1439742059_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Good afternoon,

With the layout now penciled in for it's first ever showing in public I've been making up a snagging list of things I need to do. Most of these are stock related, although the locos will need a good test as they've not run for some time.

A couple of new items are being worked on as well and I'm hoping to have a couple of new locos ready in time.

More soon.

Edited by Wayne 37901
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

Good afternoon,

Despite being a little quiet on here, work has been going on behind the scenes on stock. Currently on the bench is a Hornby class 56 which will hopefully become 56073 Tremorfa Steelworks.

The model was purchased second hand last year and was a quite heavily weathered coal sector loco. The weathering was a little too heavy for my liking and it hasn't been sealed with varnish so I should be able to clean it off along with the coal sectors. In my opinion Hornby did quite a good job with the triple grey paint scheme so hopefully it wont need a complete repaint.

Further progress and pictures once I get them off the camera.

Cheers,

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I will be at the show Wayne though I have been rostered to work that day as well.......the only Saturday in Jan that they want me to work......

• RMweb Gold

Would like to be there......I inderstand the Rolley boys have taken a vow of silence for the day....like to see that!!!!