NL Stock at Clacton Depot

Has anyone else seen a photo of former LNW stock at Clacton EMU depot (when it was new) I found in a photolist that it was a 2 car set used as an office.

Details - M29067M and M29069M (ex LNWR, Oerlikon stock) in use as offices at Clacton 21/6/64

I should check, but was this the 2 car test set, retained after the others had been withdrawn?

I found a photo on Flikr, will post link when I find it again!!

Mike

As I understand it but I could be wrong, the last Oerlikon in use was initially a 3 car set including M28249M (now preserved at the NRM in York) which was used as a “Depot Shunter” at Stonebridge Park Depot. It was then transferred to Rugby be used for testing as a 2 car set, most likely with E2001. After this it along with E2001 were transferred to the former Akeman Street on the former GC link line for “wind tests” whatever they were! The NRM then claimed M28249M at some point later what a shame not E2001 as well

E2001 and 2 car Oerlikon EMU at Akeman Street

Potentially the unit at Clacton appears not to have been the last unit – I will do some more research and see if I can discover any more info on this

Nigel.

• 4 months later...

I was just doing some research on these units, and found this photo. It is available from the RCTS photo archive

http://www.rcts.org.uk/features/archive/image.htm?img=CUL1349&jpg=CUL1349.jpg&srch=&page=

There are another three views of the two cars available, but they are not illustrated on the site. Apart from these, there are a load of interesting shots of Oerlikons and other DC stock on the RCTS site which is well worth a look!

I was just doing some research on these units, and found this photo. It is available from the RCTS photo archive

http://www.rcts.org....jpg&srch=&page=

There are another three views of the two cars available, but they are not illustrated on the site. Apart from these, there are a load of interesting shots of Oerlikons and other DC stock on the RCTS site which is well worth a look!

Thanks good find I have visited the RCTS site however missed I this photo.

XF

Archived