Β 

I visited this facility yesterday (Saturday) on a railtour: http://www.traxxside.com/ Although selective compression would have to be employed for a model, it might give some ideas for rail-to-road and road-to-rail freight transfer in a relatively compact area.

Β 

Note the sharp curves, conveyors used to load and unload hopper cars, and indoor loading docks. When I was there, we saw a hopper being unloaded direct to a truck using what looked like a giant vacuum hose!

Β 

The railway cars are moved around by a Trackmobile; there was an HO model available for less than $100 but it seems to have disappeared off the scene. However, I guess a SW-1000 or SW-1500 switcher could be used instead.

Took this shot of a single-track container loading facility from the dome car of the Canadian - somewhere between the end of the Fraser Canyon and New Westminster, I think, but I'm not great on the geography of that area and it was before breakfast! Thought it would be an interesting prototype for a model - shows you don't need to have a vast yard and umpteen tracks, though it does look like the tracks between the siding and the passenger train are entrance/exit lines for the container yard - so maybe not as small as all that.

CHRIS LEIGHpost-1062-0-97387200-1313406545_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Archived