Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Non-railway modelling

• RMweb Premium

Great start to putting the decals on the wings. Popped the star and bar into the water and shortly after it floated off in a thousand pieces. New national insignia ordered along with Microscale decal film to try and save the rest, this version not available as aftermarket set.

• Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium

While I wait for replacement decals for the Hasegawa P-47D, I thought I would pick up the next project, the Academy  PBY-5A Catalina.

academy-172-consolidated-pby-5a-catalina-black-cat__83334.jpg.40cbd161c032cff2158d6f933baa317e.jpg

The reviews I have read, all rate this as the best kit of this aircraft. However they all note that the interior detail is rudimentary. No expense have been spared on it. Not one Won. The cockpit has two seat and a basic instrument panel, the blisters have just the guns. So an Eduard etched detail was needed. So far I have put together the cockpit.

20241002_190529.jpg.3bd1a1c06ee62fb28dbba7ef18c46a58.jpg

20241002_190536.jpg.5c1ce6ec9ef3cdbf683292e46c60e39c.jpg

The instrument panel is attached to the fuselage and some more detail to the sides. Once the cockpit is painted, there is more detail to add.

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

I've took the plunge and ordered a couple of P47s, one bubble top and one razorback.  

They will go in the stash queue behind the Lim and the unfinished PZL (which is scattered around several boxes. )

It may take a while to get round to them as a move of modelling space is taking place at a glacial pace, but hopefully will get nearer snail's pace after the weekend.

Andy

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
On 02/10/2024 at 22:59, SM42 said:

I've took the plunge and ordered a couple of P47s, one bubble top and one razorback.  

They will go in the stash queue behind the Lim and the unfinished PZL (which is scattered around several boxes. )

It may take a while to get round to them as a move of modelling space is taking place at a glacial pace, but hopefully will get nearer snail's pace after the weekend.

Andy

Which make did you buy?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Cockpit finished and all detail added to this assembly.

20241004_204219.jpg.df53089c1ac49000a9f7db18f384a8e8.jpg

One oddity with the kit is it locates the control wheels in a horizontal position. This will be rectified at assembly. 

The 'Black cats'  were all over matt black, but it weathered badly, so I'm probably going to paint it Tamiya Rubber Black, with some details picked out in the slightly paler NATO black and others, wheel centres, in semi gloss.

BC1.jpg.62e4ab8b20dc4eaf84bed0598153aa9f.jpg

BC2.jpg.e17169525ea2e30e9f5848bccf210331.jpg

Next assembly will be the section around the blisters. The Eduard etch includes better gun mounts and shields, ammo box and belts, as well as better detailed bulkheads and walkway.

Edited by JZ
More images.
  • Like 8

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, SM42 said:

I went for one Tamiya and one Revell. 

Andy

Both nice kits. A plus for the Revell, is that the cockpit canopy slides. One downer on it, is that the undercarriage doors come as a single piece, like the Hasegawa, with cut marks to separate.

Edited by JZ
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

A quick google found me this picture of VP-11 24 with replacement engine cowlings.

samarai_isl_122343_with_repl_cowlings(1).jpg.91224ee9897412d50c922543eac33012.jpg

Also of note is the early engine exhausts.

Edited by JZ
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The Revell kit at under £6, you can't go wrong really. 

I seem to be revisiting those kits I built in from the age of ten to  my mid teens. 

All that's missing from that list now is  a JU87, Me110 ( that was in a dogfight double set) a Mozzie, F1-11, Harrier, F15 and  Buccaneer. 

Andy

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, SM42 said:

The Revell kit at under £6, you can't go wrong really. 

I seem to be revisiting those kits I built in from the age of ten to  my mid teens. 

All that's missing from that list now is  a JU87, Me110 ( that was in a dogfight double set) a Mozzie, F1-11, Harrier, F15 and  Buccaneer. 

Andy

The Airfix Stuka is a really good kit. I have Airfix's latest Mozzie and Bf 110 in the stash. To correctly model WW2 Luftwaffe aircraft, you will need these, as many manufacturers don't supply them with the decal sheet.

Edited by JZ
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, JZ said:

The Airfix Stuka is a really good kit. I have Airfix's latest Mozzie and Bf 110 in the stash. To correctly model WW2 Luftwaffe aircraft, you will need these, as many manufacturers don't supply them with the decal sheet.

That's because the swastika is banned in many European countries including *Germany.

*Only under certain circumstances such as historical films or museum exhibits.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

That's because the swastika is banned in many European countries including *Germany.

*Only under certain circumstances such as historical films or museum exhibits.

I suspect manufacturers would not want their customers to be associated with the symbol.  You can imagine the headlines if it turned out that Far Right group members obtained small swastikas just by spending less than a tenner on an Airfix kit.  Stranger things have happened when much less unpleasant people have been associated with, for example, a particular brand of clothing.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Next up is this powerhouse - having seen this year's display aircraft at Old Buckenham, Xtradecal's new sheet together with the opportunity to snap up this kit at Brampton model show last weekend meant the outcome was inevitable...

20241005_163023_1.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Some PBY2 had shields fitted to the waist guns. With the big blisters, these can be easily seen. The difference between what Academy supply and the Eduard etch pack.

20241005_122605.jpg.f72fc45e6c107d62cc2c89a2dc4f5450.jpg

20241005_122518.jpg.c957d16e99fbe210d5cd9847a724b5b4.jpg

Pretty sure the ammo box in the Eduard instruction is the wrong way around, but interior shot of the part of the fuselage seem to be non existent, so will go by intuition. For reference, the part D21 is the tail gun, which sticks out a hole in the lower rear.

One error I have found, is the walkway between the bulkheads. The walkway is sloped, but the piece they give you is only the correct length if flat. Eduard continue this with the etch to cover it.

Edited by JZ
  • Like 2