Heljan Beyer garratt

Hugh Flynn

Living in France , you have to have a letter box at your gate. My postman has a horrible habit of not opening the letter box , he never seems to have his pass key, but instead shouts  whilst he bangs the parcel on the top of the gate post. I always cringe when I see the brown paper parcel tied up with string being abused in this way.I  am now going to have to wait for him by the gate to avoid my precious Garratt ( no string around the parcel now) being banged /slapped down in this manner causing  the filler cap to come off the tank or something worse.

If it is posted today then Saturday will be the earliest day expected since post from Liverpool/Chester gets here the quickest. I hope it is not raining at 9.0 am Saturday morning as I wait by the gate !!!

• Like 1

Living in France , you have to have a letter box at your gate. My postman has a horrible habit of not opening the letter box , he never seems to have his pass key, but instead shouts whilst he bangs the parcel on the top of the gate post. I always cringe when I see the brown paper parcel tied up with string being abused in this way.I am now going to have to wait for him by the gate to avoid my precious Garratt ( no string around the parcel now) being banged /slapped down in this manner causing the filler cap to come off the tank or something worse.

If it is posted today then Saturday will be the earliest day expected since post from Liverpool/Chester gets here the quickest. I hope it is not raining at 9.0 am Saturday morning as I wait by the gate !!!

If my postman was like that, I'd have to get a bigger bottle of pills.

Well according to H mine is packed and with Royal Mail tracked 2 day, which means it will be picked up by RM this evening and lie all day in the cold at the Warrington hub and then overnight on Friday/Saturday will be driven over the Pennines before descending into the flatter tranquil landscape of East Anglia. On Saturday morning my local postie will ring my bell at about 0830 BST and wait patiently while my rescue sheepdog collie throws himself at the door (he doesn't like posties), once my dog is safely away I will welcome the Garratt into chez nous (I thought a touch of French would be appropriate for Monjac). Now am I dreaming too much!!! in which case pass the pills Bob 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Got the nod from Hattons today, mine is on its way, it's been a long gestation waiting for this loco, I do hope everything is as it should be...I have never been so nervous waiting for a loco.

Edited by 7013

• RMweb Gold

Got the nod from Hattons today, mine is on its way, it's been a long gestation waiting for this loco, I do hope everything is as it should be...I have never been so nervous waiting for a loco.

Looks as if you're in good company.

Cant wait to hear from you guys....hope its good news re the weathering.

Gonna have to wait a little longer for mine, as a trip to Hattons has been organised to collect.........looks like more pills.!!!!!!!

Bob.

PS.......I think this thread has been a joy to follow recently, a bit of fun and light hearted banter....long may it continue.  A complete contrast to some other threads recently.

Well, tomorrow 266208, 266209 and 266211 should find there way from Liverpool to the Hampshire town of Gosport completing my fleet of 12 Beyer Garratts,this afternoon I have been studying the photographs on Hattons website of the heavily weathered versions and personally I feel very disappointed, I know it is difficult to judge the weathering of a model from a photograph but I was hoping Heljan would produce something a lot better than they have.

Having said that I still think it is a superb model and Heljan and Hattons should both be congratulated on bringing out a unique model for all of us to enjoy, I will in time have them all professionally weathered by my usual source, factory weathered models are improving over time and usually cost a few more pounds than a pristine version, maybe when I have them in my hands tomorrow they may well be much better than the photographs show, it will be interesting to hear from others who receive the heavily weathered versions in the coming days and read their thoughts.

Edited by Brian Hawkins
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Cant wait to hear from you guys....hope its good news re the weathering.

Gonna have to wait a little longer for mine, as a trip to Hattons has been organised to collect.........looks like more pills.!!!!!!!

Bob.

PS.......I think this thread has been a joy to follow recently, a bit of fun and light hearted banter....long may it continue.  A complete contrast to some other threads recently.

I can vouch for that ,Bob......I'm still carrying the scars of the hangover after my trip to Shildon.Which,incidentally,I thoroughly enjoyed...quite an experience and a first for me.

Now that the BG show is reaching its ( hopefully) spectacular finale.....I wish all of you the joy of this stunning model.

I'm heavily into Atlantics.......

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Well, tomorrow 266208, 266209 and 266211 should find there way from Liverpool to the Hampshire town of Gosport completing my fleet of 12 Beyer Barratt's,this afternoon I have been studying the photographs on Hattons website of the heavily weathered versions and personally I feel very disappointed, I know it is difficult to judge the weathering of a model from a photograph but I was hoping Heljan would produce something a lot better than they have.

Having said that I still think it is a superb model and Heljan and Hattons should both be congratulated on bringing out a unique model for all of us to enjoy, I will in time have them all professionally weathered by my usual source, factory weathered models are improving over time and usually cost a few more pounds than a pristine version, maybe when I have them in my hands tomorrow they may well be much better than the photographs show, it will be interesting to hear from others who receive the heavily weathered versions in the coming days and read their thoughts.

This is a perennial problem with factory weathering,which to be honest,doesn't have a good track record.I had feared that this might happen.Never mind...it provides a base for more effective weathering.if you don't want to do it yourself,there are lots of skilled folk around who will do a really effective job.

You are still getting something none of us thought we'd ever see...at a bargain price.Talking of which,in contrast,there has been much controversy....don't I know it !...over the cost of the Bachmann NRM Locomotion Models Ivatt Atlantic C1.

All in all Hattons have pulled off quite a coup. Enjoy.

• RMweb Premium

Without pre judging, the heavy weathering on the Hattons photo looks decidedly light, and pretty flaky on the connecting rods. Methinks the airbrush will be coming out along with the weathering powders. But to be honest I will just be happy to get my BG at long last.

• Like 2

I can vouch for that ,Bob......I'm still carrying the scars of the hangover after my trip to Shildon.Which,incidentally,I thoroughly enjoyed...quite an experience and a first for me.

Now that the BG show is reaching its ( hopefully) spectacular finale.....I wish all of you the joy of this stunning model.

I'm heavily into Atlantics.......

Hi Ian,

Glad you had an enjoyable Shildon experience........the Atlantic being not quite my cup of tea, I havent been involved on the thread about it......Thankfully.....

The pictures of the Garratt do show it may well be in need a some extra work........but it is a great base to start from.

Really looking forward to this model....which I'm certain I am going to enjoy immensley. I'll soon be off the pills.

Bob.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Ian,

Glad you had an enjoyable Shildon experience........the Atlantic being not quite my cup of tea, I havent been involved on the thread about it......Thankfully.....

The pictures of the Garratt do show it may well be in need a some extra work........but it is a great base to start from.

Really looking forward to this model....which I'm certain I am going to enjoy immensley. I'll soon be off the pills.

Bob.

Go for it!!

Without pre judging, the heavy weathering on the Hattons photo looks decidedly light, and pretty flaky on the connecting rods. Methinks the airbrush will be coming out along with the weathering powders. But to be honest I will just be happy to get my BG at long last.

It looks to me like light even powder spray and some attempt to blacken rods, handrails still visibly whitish, so we can all add extra touches if we desire.

I had opened my laptop this morning knowing I have a half-finished pic of LMS 7983 to play with, and was DELIGHTED to see 4 messages from Hattons and that both weathered models have been despatched to me. 

I too have never looked forward to a model release with the same pleasure as this one.  I suspect it's because the age of the relatively cheap steam era super-detailed model, while not over, has certainly changed in the last couple of years, and this model really does have a great cache of 'presence', for want of a better word.  I still remember the Kitmaster version.

All is right with the world today...    edit; the tops of the models have received very little cover of soot, but at least the cab windows aren't opaque....

Edited by robmcg

First impression, and please note this is NOT as it looks when bought from Hattons but heavily edited with rust added here and there, ashpan discoloured, cab window removed, BR emblem reversed, grime added generally, handrails darkened, rods darkened,  47981 reverses quietly from shed...

How can Hattons have done this for under £200?

edit; I think the descriptive phrase 'heavily weathered' for the model as purchased is an, um, exaggeration, but below shows some improvement . Shed plate mysteriously clean...

post-7929-0-35205700-1406951073.jpg

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 3

We could have a sweepstake for whose heavily weathered Garratt gets delivered first by post. :boast: