Smoking XO4

I am gradually converting all my engines to DCC. Some of the older ones are metal kits powered by the Triang XO4 motor. Before converting them I ensure they work perfectly on DC. The one I have just tried is excellent - no jerking, crawls along, and good maximum speed. However, when I tried it on DCC code 0000 prior to chipping it became hidden in smoke and the smell was terrible. I assumed that the motor had burnt out, but when I tried it again on DC it worked perfectly!

Having no technical ability what so ever, can someone please explain what has happened - I have had no problems before with the XO4. Also, will chipping it be a success or best avoided?

You need to be a little more careful chipping an X04 than you do with more modern power units due to its design - here is how I do it:

- Remove the wire from the insulated motor brush and solder it to the Red decoder wire.

- Place a length of insulation (heatshrink, etc) onto the opposite side of the brush 'vee' spring to ensure both brushes are insulated from the 'vee' spring.

- Connect the decoder Black wire to the screw that holds the 'vee' spring in place (I solder the wire to a small solder tag & screw this in place).

- Solder the decoder Grey and Orange wires to the two brush tops, taking care to ensure these wires do not cause the brushes to lift away from the motors commutator (the brass bit on the armature at the worm end).

- test the decoder on a programming track.

You do not say which decoder you are using but the X04 draw more current than average so a more robust decoder rated at least 1amp continuous would be highly advisable such as a TCS, Lenz or Zimo.

• RMweb Premium

However, when I tried it on DCC code 0000 prior to chipping it became hidden in smoke and the smell was terrible.

Are you saying you tried the loco without chip on DCC set to "DC" mode? Not a good idea, all it does is offset either the positive or negative halves of the DCC waveform, a lot of motors don't like that and is not recommended.

Keith

That's how I read it, tried running it on address zero, before adding the decoder. What happened was that the motor coils got significantly heated and volatilised some organic material, probably some lubricant residues on the armature, and the lacquer insulation of the wire. Fortunately the spec to which the XO4 is built is a decent one, and you have not destroyed the insulation, so the motor windings are still working,. Just don't try it again, with this or any other motor, is the best advice.

A good quality one amp continuous rated decoder can extract good performance from an XO4 in decent condition, Lenz or Zimo would be my choice. Note that caveat on 'decent condition' no decoder can compensate for a motor with a weak magnet, and that is a real possibility with this motor design. I have several, some still on their original circa 50 year old magnets and as good as ever, but others have required replacement magnets due to loss of field strength. This can fade away slowly over time, or collapse fairly abruptly, I have known both happen. The sign that this has happened is a motor that will run fast on its' own, but will not pull any sort of load, runs very slowly and quickly gets hot in that circumstance.

• RMweb Premium

A good quality one amp continuous rated decoder can extract good performance from an XO4 in decent condition, Lenz or Zimo would be my choice.

I used a TCS M1 in my Hornby R059 pannier (2744) this has an XO4 and it runs fine. If only it had all six wheels the same size and pickups on all!

Keith

Thanks for all the helpful comments. Must admit have always hitherto tried running on DCC with code 0000 before chipping but will take your advice and never again! Magnet seems strong but engine has not had much use over the last few years so will give it a good clean and service before chipping.

Archived