• RMweb Premium

Well I thought it was about time that I posted progress on my little switching plank - it's about 53" x 10" plus a fiddle yard (yet to be added!) It's loosely set in the Pacific North West in the late sixties running upto and after the BN merger. Although there are a few interlopers....!

It's a bit of test layout for a larger one sometime soon. So far it is all wired up (traditional DC only) so I'm slowly working through the scenic bits now.

I'll try and post a few more images...

post-7069-0-05375700-1310846668_thumb.jpg

Well I thought it was about time that I posted progress on my little switching plank - it's about 53" x 10" plus a fiddle yard (yet to be added!) It's loosely set in the Pacific North West in the late sixties running upto and after the BN merger. Although there are a few interlopers....!

It's a bit of test layout for a larger one sometime soon. So far it is all wired up (traditional DC only) so I'm slowly working through the scenic bits now.

I'll try and post a few more images...

Dear Chris,

1 - looking good! ;) :drinks:

2 - love to see more :yes:

3 - what's this (Traditional DC _ONLY_ )??? :huh: :blink:

(Emphasis added)

Tain't nothing wrong or to be ashamed about using analog DC, and it can still do some things which DCC only dreams of... :yahoo:

Besides which, if you've wired up correctly/adequately/reliably for analog DC,

then DCC is likely just a "swap control systems and go" proposition, esp for smaller layouts...

(both of my "Chicago Fork" layouts were wired up for analog DC from the outset,

but as they were wired _properly_, DCC "conversion" was a "plug it in, and turn it on" procedure,

and I regularly "swap control systems" as needs and visiting motive power requires...)

Happy Modelling,

Aim to Improve,

Prof Klyzlr

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for all the positive comments - I have been drawing from the collective experience on RMWeb so felt it was time to publish the fruits of that.

The trackplan is fairly basic, but when coupled with a fiddle yard should present scope for a bit of switching.

I've used Peco 100 throughout, simply because I had a load lying around. The points are powered by Seep motors driven from a Gaugemaster CDU and the track is controlled using a Gaugemaster walkaround controller. I find the DC wiring quite therapeutic :huh: and a certain sense of satisfaction when my scribbled wiring diagrams actually work in practise!

As I mentioned, the stock is generally from about 1965 - 1975 period, although I have varied and a bit disjointed collection! Most of it is slowly passing through the weathering shops. Looking through some prototype annuals the variation in appearance of boxcars etc was pretty extreme so gives plenty of scope!

Here's another view and I have started a gallery - "Index Street Yard" with a few more images.

post-7069-0-92100300-1310920416_thumb.jpg

...the stock is generally from about 1965 - 1975 period,...Most of it is slowly passing through the weathering shops...

That phrase conjures up a wonderful picture in my mind... imagine if the Prototype Railroads had a Workshop where new, ex-works Rolling Stock went to have all the rust, dirt and dents applied... :D :yes: :drinks:

Most of it is slowly passing through the weathering shops. Looking through some prototype annuals the variation in appearance of boxcars etc was pretty extreme so gives plenty of scope!

Here's another view and I have started a gallery - "Index Street Yard" with a few more images.

Like the weathering you have done so far - esp the NP box car. Keep it up and continue with the pics. :drinks:

• 5 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

I've been making some quiet progress on Index Street Yard over the holidays, so I thought it was time that some photos were posted.

The main scenic area is pretty much complete so it's time to come up with some sort of fiddle yard and get operating.

I should be able to while away the hours with some switching soon! :no:

Photos are in my "Index Street Yard" gallery.

Watch the weathering. A big sky blue boxcar would be brand new in your era and not heavily weathered (same with an SD45).

Of course if you are running steam and big sky blue, (which missed each other by about 20 years) I guess it doesn't matter.

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium

I have finally got around to posting some more pictures of my little shunting yard in my gallery. Taking advantage of today's sunshine I dragged it outside and with a few selections from the stock cupboard took some piccies.

The layout is basically finished but there is always tinkering to do...

I've enjoyed building it as a practise for something bigger, but it's great just to have somewhere to do some idle switching.

Hope you enjoy the photos- please go to the Index Street Yard gallery!

Archived