Millway Dock featuring Leaford NSE layout now sold.

Hampshire Hog

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Evening Kevin

I hope you don't mind but I thought it was about time the thread was rescued from the depths as a plug for the layouts appearance next Saturday at the Tonbridge show! So here are just a couple of pics I took last May as a taste of what to expect to see next week.

post-6922-0-01001300-1328820644.jpg

4CIG arrives as Eastleigh ticks over in the headshunt.

post-6922-0-23285400-1328820658.jpg

A busy afternoon shot showing the type of traction available for service.

To any RMwebbers visiting the show be sure and come over for a chat.

• Like 9

Evening Kevin

I hope you don't mind but I thought it was about time the thread was rescued from the depths as a plug for the layouts appearance next Saturday at the Tonbridge show! So here are just a couple of pics I took last May as a taste of what to expect to see next week.

post-6922-0-01001300-1328820644.jpg

4CIG arrives as Eastleigh ticks over in the headshunt.

post-6922-0-23285400-1328820658.jpg

A busy afternoon shot showing the type of traction available for service.

To any RMwebbers visiting the show be sure and come over for a chat.

We certainly look forward to seeing you guys at Tonbridge next week.

Colin

We certainly look forward to seeing you guys at Tonbridge next week.

Colin

My thanks Colin, we are looking forward to attending.

My thanks also to Temeraire for rescuing Leaford from the depths of RMweb.

In answer to questions:-

Oggy1953.

"Looks great. I know you have probably mentioned before but there are 23 pages to wade through. So, how do you weather your track, it looks perfect ?"

The track is laid in the conventional way and then sprayed with Railmatch Sleeper Grime paint and then just left to mature with age. (Not to everybodys taste but I like it)

spenc.

The 4cig is it a kit if so who makes it.Great layout you have.

steve

The 4cig is indeed a kit and it is made by Southern Pride, the last I heard they are no longer in production, I wonder if anybody knows different?

This particular one is on loan and belongs to Nigel Crow, cheers Nige.

33109 "Captain Bill Smith RNR" in the yard at Leaford.

post-5799-0-50196100-1328866572.jpg

Cheerio for now.

Kevin

Edited by Hampshire Hog
  • Like 3

Hi Kevin,

Have you any shows booked for September, as I am coming over for that month and maybe the end of August. I wouldn't mind getting a few shows in while I am over.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Pete,

Unfortunately we have nothing in August/September at the moment but if we do you would be very welcome to join us, I'll let you know.

Southwest Trains 159 in the yard.

post-5799-0-73629900-1328873685.jpg

See you soon.

Kevin.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Peter

I'm sure for the price of a packet of biscuits a 'home visit' could be arranged, maybe to Exford Park as well if you would like, as it would be good to meet you while you're over. ;)

Edited by Temeraire

Hi Peter

I'm sure for the price of a packet of biscuits a 'home visit' could be arranged, maybe to Exford Park as well if you would like, as it would be good to meet you while you're over. ;)

Hi Ian,

That would be great, name your favourite biscuits and I will be there. :locomotive: We are planning to travel around a fair bit but have nothing sorted yet, so I will have to let you know nearer the time and sort out what suits you if that's ok.

Cheers Peter.

Bourbons for me, no question! Just let me know your plans and I'm sure we can work something out.

Yes Pete, I'm with Ian on this one Bourbons do it for me as well, Garibaldi ain't so bad either.

It must be a Sunday the Civil Engineers are out and about.

post-5799-0-54812100-1329055575.jpg

Tonbridge MRC will be holding its 31st exhibition in the Angel Centre, Tonbridge on Saturday 18th February, Leaford will be attending.

post-5799-0-70631700-1329055912.jpg

See you at Tonbridge next week end.

Regards

Ian and Kevin

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

very good, loving the locos. the weathering is amazing. some of these photos look like the real think, Its nice to know that this layout will be hopefully be around for a long time to come!!

very good layout, Always look forward to seeing it at shows and just shows what can be acheived when you have a dedicated modeller at the hands of the layout, loving the photos, If I remember correctly quite a lot of the locos are old Hornby and lima locos, which is very suprising when the locos have sound and lights and run so smoothly, In the progress of 'hard wiring' an old lima 33. Brought the decoder and lights, just waiting for the socket to arrive from ebay!!!

spent an hour or two cleaning all the motor and wheels so a 30 year old loco runs like a dream!!!

keep up the amazing photos and weathering

MurrayField Junction!!

very good layout, Always look forward to seeing it at shows and just shows what can be acheived when you have a dedicated modeller at the hands of the layout, loving the photos, If I remember correctly quite a lot of the locos are old Hornby and lima locos, which is very suprising when the locos have sound and lights and run so smoothly, In the progress of 'hard wiring' an old lima 33. Brought the decoder and lights, just waiting for the socket to arrive from ebay!!!

spent an hour or two cleaning all the motor and wheels so a 30 year old loco runs like a dream!!!

keep up the amazing photos and weathering

MurrayField Junction!!

Many thanks for your kind words MurrayField, there is something very satisfying when some of these older locos respond to a bit of tlc and perform just as well as the new ones, I have to say I find the Lima stuff in particular responds best to plenty of use.

Anyway talking of old stuff I rediscovered an old book the other day called The Freight Only Yearbook by Michael Rhodes and Paul Shannon (first published 1990)and the thing that took my eye was the remarkable variety of modelable freight trains there was in the late eighties, yes there were plenty of block trains but also a lot of shorter ones under the Railfreight Distribution sector conveying a real mixture of traffic anything from empty (POA's), and full scrap (PXA), Departmental stuff (YAA's), Steel finished goods (BDA's) all on the same train and headed by a brace of 31's on page 75, I can understand the popularity of this era.

Here is a pickie trying to recreate in model form some of the stuff seen in the above mentioned book although with different traffic flows perhaps.

post-5799-0-48397900-1336475093.jpg

Now I have the layouts automation completed courtesy of NCE and Railroad & Co I have turned my attention to refurbishing (or just changing for the sake of it) some of the freight stock.One of my favourite,s is the MODA trains I managed to get hold of a couple of Airfix Land Rover 1 tonne ambulances an hey presto!

post-5799-0-56129100-1336475819.jpg

See you soon.

Kevin.

• Like 4

Do you know if they sell that book anymore, also have you recieved my PM I sent you??

thanks

Hi MurrayField, I do not know if the book is still available, all I can suggest is that you look out at the many book stands at exhibitions, perhaps one will turn up.

As for your PM, what you have to remember when hardwiring a DCC Chip into a loco(I assume 8 PIN) is to make sure that the Chip goes between the loco pickups (therefore the track) and the motor and connected as such:--

Red Wire --------- Loco pickup Track A

Black Wire --------- Loco pickup Track B

Orange Wire -------- Motor connection +

Grey Wire -------- Motor connection -

Blue wire --------- Function Common +

White wire --------- Lights front end

Yellow wire -------- Lights rear end

Green wire --------- Aux Function 2

Purple wire -------- Aux Function often provided loose, colours may vary

Best of luck,I hope that this helps.

Some more pickies still with a military theme.

post-5799-0-62412000-1336568181.jpg

And another shot of the Ambulances.

post-5799-0-92446100-1336568236.jpg

Bye for now.

Kevin

• Like 4