The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

UK Pavement vs US Sidewalk materials

Sir Ray

• RMweb Gold

Another common variant, in London at least, is to have a one to two foot strip of concrete along the kerb edge, with the rest of the footway paved or tarmac. I think this is to allow vehicles to safely put a wheel on the pavement, while allowing easier digging access to the services when needed. However this is also seen combined with bollards or barriers, which also need a good footing.

Where concrete isn't neat enough, I've seen the use of 3 inch concrete slabs for strength, and to match the paving blocks. Of course this leads to the repair team needing lifting equipment to place the slabs safely

I was impressed by the Dublin concrete pavements. smooth and well patched with concrete after alterations. The contrast with a central part pedestrianised street with uneven block paving was interesting. I'd rather have the concrete.

Dave

• RMweb Premium

The laying of paving slabs is a skilled job something akin to a bricklayer, the job title is actually 'Mason Pavior' and most were employed by local authorities. Nowadays paving is done by outside contractors and the laying of tarmac is both cheaper and requires less skill.

• RMweb Premium

Can't think when I last even saw a pavior. When those big slabs need lifting and replacing during works it seems to be done by a couple of chaps with a machine now not a hefty person in a ripped T-shirt tapping skillfully with a huge mallet for which there is no doubt a correct name I am unaware of.

Health and Safety legislation exists with good reason but they are far from too heavy to be moved by one person. I'm not the largest nor strongest bloke around but have no difficulty in shifting them. All that's needed is correct technique.

even our road surfaces aren't concrete very often - although it was tried years ago, especially for the then-new Motorways (late 50s/early 60s - think 'Interstate') it has never been seen as a satisfactory surface in this Country - for one thing it produces a lot of 'road noise' under tyres; I've read somewhere that one stretch of concrete road was so bad for this that signs were put up to tell motorists what the cause was - that it wasn't something wrong with their car... :laugh:

A

A1 Newark area - supposedly it was because the concrete had been "grooved" to let rain water run off more quickly, but you certainly knew when you were on it! Especially if you were in a small wheeled vehicle like a mini!

The laying of paving slabs is a skilled job something akin to a bricklayer, the job title is actually 'Mason Pavior' and most were employed by local authorities. Nowadays paving is done by outside contractors and the laying of tarmac is both cheaper and requires less skill.

Many, many years ago I worked (whilst waiting to join the RAF) as a labourer to one of these tradesmen (when tradesman meant exactly that.) Herbie was a skinny little feller, in his seventies, and still working (the firm couldn't replace him and he didn't want to retire!), with a "tab" permanently attached to his lower lip and a toolbag and mallet that probably weighed as much as he did. We had the job of going round Stevenage New Town replacing all broken slabs, and Albert was the lorry driver and "second laborer" We replaced hundreds of them in 3 months and Herbie could cut slabs to an exact fit without any measuring at all - purely by eye. He taught me how to cut them with a chisel and hammer and lay them - once learned, never forgotten - but I need to measure them for a fit. There are probably still a couple of houses with crazy paving paths made with old council slabs, that we put down for ladies who made us cups of tea.

Concrete Slabs came - the ones I used to hump off the lorry - in 2' x 2'. 3' x 2'and 4' x 2' - you lowered it onto a wheelbarrow, and wheeled it to where you wanted it. AFAIR a 4' x 2' weighs around a hundredweight or maybe slightly over - develops muscles a lot faster than lifting weights in a gym!

Stone slabbing also has a tendency over time to deteriorate, producing hazardous trips where the sand foundation has been washed or worn away so that the slab can rock, resulting in an apparently flat surface surface suddenly becoming a 1 inch plus trip hazard. This has cost local authorities dearly in compensation payments in the past, but that has also resulted in higher standards of inspection.

Our local council has a quick, simple solution to cracking and tilting sidewalks - paint the uneven edges bright yellow!

Of course on concrete you don't have the problems that Christopher Robin had, "the bears will get you" etc etc

but then maybe they don't have A A Milne's books in the U.S. The saddest thing of all was that the real C.R.

committed suicide in the end. (Dont tell the kids)

This from a a descendant of a refugee from 1776 (I know its off the subject but never mind, just this once.)

Of course on concrete you don't have the problems that Christopher Robin had, "the bears will get you" etc etc

but then maybe they don't have A A Milne's books in the U.S.

I can assure you that A. A. Milne's works (with illustrations by Ernest Shepard) are readily available in quality printed hardbacks in the US. Not everything is Disneyfied.

Not according to Wikipedia and other sources - http://en.wikipedia....her_Robin_Milne

Is there any corroboration for that?

I believe there is a mix up with the Kenneth Graham's ("Wind in the Willows") son Alastair nicknamed "Mouse". He commited suicide by laying down on the train tracks at Oxford age 19.

best, Pete.

• Like 1

Yes, almost every City & Town will have a "High Street", it is the UK equivalent to Main Street.

One exception is a City or Town that grew up round a crossroad; then you'll get North/South/East/West Street. Chichester and Havant both feature this, as does Fareham (does my South Coast upbringing show?).

I live in Chichester now -Mrs Follower's geography isn't too good and is often found looking for shops in the wrong street....

Simon.

One exception is a City or Town that grew up round a crossroad; then you'll get North/South/East/West Street. Chichester and Havant both feature this, as does Fareham (does my South Coast upbringing show?).

Gloucester is similar; they went for Northgate, Southgate, Eastgate, and... wait for it.... Westgate :rolleyes: ;)

Can't think when I last even saw a pavior. When those big slabs need lifting and replacing during works it seems to be done by a couple of chaps with a machine now not a hefty person in a ripped T-shirt tapping skillfully with a huge mallet for which there is no doubt a correct name I am unaware of.

Health and Safety legislation exists with good reason but they are far from too heavy to be moved by one person. I'm not the largest nor strongest bloke around but have no difficulty in shifting them. All that's needed is correct technique.

The correct term for a 'huge mallet' is a maul, (or it is round these parts, it's amazing how many tool names are peculiar to an area), they may be rubber or wood, generally with a hickory handle but fibreglass is becoming more common.

There are still many skilled pavoirs about, but most of them you'll find working in the private sector, domestic landscape pays better than council work, although I know one or two council employed flaggers who are as good as anyone.

Regarding health and safety, well, lets be honest is any council going to let it's employees do anything marginally dubious these days? I'm in the middle of laying approximately 300 yds of reclaimed yorkstone paving, many being larger than your average 3x2 concrete natural, as stated aboved technique is what's required not brute strength, although a bit of that does help, all these edged with granite setts, another material that supposedly the laying of is a dieing art...........not really there's plenty of contractors who have the skills to put these down.