Buildings for 'Bacup'

I really don't know how you do it. So many. many wonderful buildings and you work too! I've been at my Station building for over 2 months now and I still haven't finished...

This is really superb modelling

I really don't know how you do it. So many. many wonderful buildings and you work too! I've been at my Station building for over 2 months now and I still haven't finished...

This is really superb modelling

I'd be struggling to maintain the work involved in putting this essential topic online, never mind having to do attempt the modelling work in the first place!

• RMweb Premium

The first buildings took quite a while but as I've moved on, I've learned shortcuts (such as painting the embossed Plastikard first, etc)  and have a better idea of the dimensions to use, etc.

Hopefully, the new house should allow me to expand beyond the station slightly, so I hope to add a few more mills, houses, etc., to act as a backscene. There was a really grubby mill opposite the station in Bacup that is just crying out to be modelled!

A master craftsman at work.

Absolutely brilliant step-by-step, - how on earth did you get the brickwork to fold into the window and door reveals  amazing?! - stunning workmanship, stunning layout.

A classic in the making.

Allan.

• RMweb Premium

Thank you very much Allan; not a patch on your work but I'm happy with how it looks as a whole. I got the stone to fold in around the window recesses by scraping away at the back, applying a bit of Mek and then folding it sharply around, holding it in place until it set (and what is surprising is that Mek will glue Plastikard to mounting board).

Thank you very much Allan; not a patch on your work but I'm happy with how it looks as a whole. I got the stone to fold in around the window recesses by scraping away at the back, applying a bit of Mek and then folding it sharply around, holding it in place until it set (and what is surprising is that Mek will glue Plastikard to mounting board).

You should'nt compare your modelling to anyone's work - it's your style, your work, your interpretation - and a bloody good one at that, and as good as it gets for my money.

Yes, Mek, any solvent glue in fact, will stick plastic to card/wood because what hapens is that the solution 'melts' the plastic thus forming a kind of glue within itself. In fact, If you soaked a sheet of styrene in a bath of solvent, it would turn it into  a pool of liquid plastic !

Also an old trick when running low on solvent is to drop a few off cuts of styrene into the bottle which will melt  into the solvent and replentish it - also, cellulose thinners will work to an extent.

BTW how did you colour the brickwork, and how did you get the cement effect between courses ? - a terrific job.

Cheers.

Allan.

• RMweb Premium

I painted the stonework using a method I borrowed and adapted from Andy Cooper. I paint the sheet in stone / mortar colour first and when dry, I put a small amount of brown paint on a piece of card and dip a rag-wrapped finger in it, before wiping off any excess and then dabbing it onto the plastikard, which has the effect of leaving the paint on the surface of the stones (in varying shades / thicknesses) but not in the mortar courses. When fully dry, I do the same with matt / weathered black.

After constructing the building, I then go around any edges with a fine paintbrush and a mix of brown & black paint to touch up any plastikard coloured bits.

I use enamels for everything except the slates. I tried to use acrylics for the dabbing method but they dry too quickly.

Thanks Sandside, It's sharing information like that, that makes this Forum what it is, a runaway success.

BTW, and at the risk of hi-jacking your Thread, I have a few shots of a building I built way book where I used the same Slaters stone sheets - so if you like, I can stick it up on here.

Cheers.

Allan.

• RMweb Gold

Jason,

As you go into Liverpool Street station, the buildings around get grubbier and grubbier.  the last half mile being in a brick lined cutting.  Even too long after the end of steam and the smokeless zone laws the buildings are still black from soot and are about the same colour as your houses.

If it isn't easy to get results like yours then you certainly make it look easy.  Brilliant model.

• RMweb Premium

I've never been away Freebs, I've just been updating the layout thread rather than this one. I will hopefully get the chance to contribute to BCB more when I am settled in Yorkshire in a few weeks time.

Allan, that is stunning. I would love to tackle a building with such outstanding features, to push my limits and skills a bit but Bacup lends itself more to the mundane. With regards to the embossed stone sheets, most of the houses have been constructed using 2mm dressed stone, with the mills using SE Finecast 7mm Brick which seems to be a good match size-wise for the larger stone blocks. With almost all of them, the shell is constructed using mounting board, a cheap and flexible material to work with (25 A1 sheets to date, although not all for buildings).

I've never been away Freebs, I've just been updating the layout thread rather than this one. I will hopefully get the chance to contribute to BCB more when I am settled in Yorkshire in a few weeks time.

Ah that's good to know - I'll have to check out your layout thread :)

Also - you're joining us here in Yorkshire - whereabouts?

Allan, that is stunning. I would love to tackle a building with such outstanding features, to push my limits and skills a bit but Bacup lends itself more to the mundane. With regards to the embossed stone sheets, most of the houses have been constructed using 2mm dressed stone, with the mills using SE Finecast 7mm Brick which seems to be a good match size-wise for the larger stone blocks. With almost all of them, the shell is constructed using mounting board, a cheap and flexible material to work with (25 A1 sheets to date, although not all for buildings).

Hi Sandside.

I've never used mounting board, always plain grey 1/2mil thick industrial card but for whetever reason, cardboard as such is getting increasingly hard to get hold of, plenty of corrugated but hardly the same thing.

I can also remember when all the major stores would use acres of card promo boards and often as large as a barn door, then when they had finished with it, the would dump it by the skip load out back.But now it seems to be all plastic, to thin and totally useless.

Cheers.

Allan.

• RMweb Premium

I'm moving to Bingley Freebs.

I have been getting mounting board from art shops, the one on Broad Street in Oxford sells 10 A1 sheets for £25

I'm moving to Bingley Freebs.

I have been getting mounting board from art shops, the one on Broad Street in Oxford sells 10 A1 sheets for £25

Bingley - not too far away -I'm in Huddersfield ;)

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived