Niagara Sentinel

dibber25

A rare photo of Sentinel 68184 on hire to Ontario Hydro in connection with building the hydro-electric plant at Niagara Falls.....

Or otherwise, one of Model Rail's sample Sentinel's posed in front of the Canadian (or Horseshoe) Falls at Niagara. For those who like statistics, 34million gallons per minute, drops 188ft from Lake Erie into Lake Ontario. The Sentinel and I had survived a boat trip aboard Maid of the Mist, to the foot of the falls - it was in my pocket, but it is an unmotored sample.

The first batch of Sentinel's should reach us in early August and a second batch has now been ordered. For full details of liveries and numbers on batch 2, see next issue of Model Rail.

Perhaps we should have a contest for the furthest-travelled Sentinel? We've had orders from Australia, so how about a pic at Sydney Opera House or Ayers Rock (and I hope I've spelt that right)?

CHRIS LEIGH

(Edited for spelling mistakes as below) It was typed late at night after a 30-hour journey home!

post-1062-0-06980600-1309470840_thumb.jpg

Perhaps we should have a contest for the furthest-travelled Sentinel? We've had orders from Australia, so how about a pic at Sidney Opera House or Ayer's Rock (and I hope I've spelt that right)?

Chris,

As the self-appointed spelling checker for today, it is the Sydney Opera House, and Ayers Rock (without the apostophe). The latter is now more properly known as Uluru.

But enough of that. I like the idea of the furthest-travelled Sentinel. Once my order is filled, I'll be happy to contribute some evidence that they reached Portland, OR.

The question now is "Where is 68184?"

After the Niagara Falls picture, it travelled with me to Vancouver Island and posed with the Pacific Ocean (well, the Strait of Georgia) in the background. It was then placed in my luggage and entrusted to Thomas Cook Airlines for the return journey to London Gatwick....... You can guess where this story is going, can't you?!!

Blue suitcase arrived OK at Gatwick. Accompanying black holdall containing 68184 did not. Vancouver Airport is not Heathrow. It's not even Birmingham International. I'd hesitate to say it's Fairoaks (Chertsey) but busy it ain't. About 6-12 flights an hour at a guess. So how can they put bags on the wrong flight? At least one other passenger was without luggage at Gatwick while 12-15 unclaimed bags were eventually removed from the carousel. They should presumably have been in Hong Kong or Seattle or somewhere.

So how far has 68184 travelled in the wrong direction, I wonder? We'll never know, of course, unless it turns up on eBay, for sale from some far off land!

CHRIS LEIGH

• RMweb Gold

.....apologies for the thread drift but talk of pictures of models in far places reminds me that currently an LGB covered van is doing the rounds of garden railways of G Scale Central members in the US and the UK.

The van started off outside San Francisco and whizzed round the US before arriving in the UK last summer and spent an afternoon on my garden railway before heading somewhere up north.....

post-586-0-95861900-1309530901_thumb.jpg

post-586-0-30946000-1309530929_thumb.jpg

Once round the UK the van will be off to various countries in Europe before moving to South America and then Down-Under.

Vancouver Airport is not Heathrow. It's not even Birmingham International. I'd hesitate to say it's Fairoaks (Chertsey) but busy it ain't. About 6-12 flights an hour at a guess.

I have a great fondness for Vancouver International airport (YVR). The bar upstairs at the Faimont hotel is very nice.

The staff at YVR did me a great service on one visit.

When returning to the US from YVR, you actually go through US passport control in Canada before you board the airplane. I was travelling with my son who was perhaps 12 at the time. He had left his backpack with his video games etc at the restaurant before we went through security and I didn't notice it until we had moved beyond passport control to the security scan.

At this point, we had technically left Canada and would have to renter Canada though Canadian passport control to see if his bag was where he left it. (Rinse and repeat.) An airport employee went and recovered my son's backpack and brought it to us, with everything intact. It was an incredibly thoughtful and customer-service oriented thing to do, and something you would only find in a small-medium sized airport like YVR. I will always remember him, his employer (YVR) and his very Canadian thoughfulness warmly.

If anyone would like to know what the ticketing area of YVR looks like, it is used as a movie stand-in for Chicago in the movie "Best In Show" where the couple with the weimaraner take their dog to the airport. It's probably in a number of other movies too. Vancouver is a big movie town.

The much-travelled Sentinel is now back home. It seems to have decided to stay in YVR a little longer and returned to the UK via Heathrow instead of Gatwick. By being absent it avoided being repainted by Dave Lowery as a livery sample for the next batch of models.

CHRIS LEIGH

The much-travelled Sentinel is now back home. It seems to have decided to stay in YVR a little longer and returned to the UK via Heathrow instead of Gatwick. By being absent it avoided being repainted by Dave Lowery as a livery sample for the next batch of models.

CHRIS LEIGH

Maybe it knew about the planned repaint and did not want to change from BR black early crest so it made a bid for freedom or perhaps Ian Riley kidnapped it to prevent it losing the best crest :laugh:

• RMweb Gold

Surely the furthest traveled one could be one supplied to Australia then sent to USA and perhaps returned to UK - full world tour!

I think I can nearly match that. Some years back - when the £ was stronger! - I made an ebay purchase of a Bachmann HO 2-8-0. This had been assembled in China, but I bought it from an ebay shop in Texas. When I opened the surprisingly-small parcel, I found a couple of Scalextric cars instead. It transpired that these had been ordered by a lady in Oz, who was now looking somewhat disappointedly at my locomotive. We exchanged pleasantries - her husband proved to be a railway signal engineer! - and swapped products at the expense of the ebay seller. So my 2-8-0 went from China to Bachmann's US distribution point, thence to Texas, on to Oz, and finally to France. It arrived unharmed!

Archived