Eastville viaduct demolition, Bristol 1968

• 3 years later...
Guest Lyonesse

On the BBC archive site there are further videos of the viaduct, plus the new Parkway motorway to be built. Yes that part of Bristol has changed a lot.

I was looking for info on Prestleigh viaduct demolition when I came across this.

http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=73140

Mike

This is the 13 arches.  I was there when it was demolished (I was only so-high.)  Several of the people I was with claimed to have seen a yellow-hatted demolition worker dive out of the way as the arches (or 12 of them) came down.  I didn't see him.

• RMweb Premium

This is the 13 arches.  I was there when it was demolished (I was only so-high.)  Several of the people I was with claimed to have seen a yellow-hatted demolition worker dive out of the way as the arches (or 12 of them) came down.  I didn't see him.

I was there too.

I've never ever seen a photo of a train on this line. Does anyone know of any?

• RMweb Premium

Was that the line from Montpelier towards Fishponds?

Indeed it was. Ashley Hill Junction to Kingswood Junction; there was a Midland passenger service terminating at Clifton Down which finished during the war.

Somerset & Dorset 2-8-0s would have run over the line on their way to Avonmouth. A picture of one crossing the viaduct would be rather nice.

Archived