Β 

I was out railfanning the other day, and it suddenly struck me that you could do a pretty good inglenook style layout -- even a micro -- based on the scene at the Pepper Ave overpass at UP's West Colton yard. This is one of the prime railfan locations in Southern California. Here is the scene looking west, toward Indio and Texas:

post-8839-0-00280500-1309098141_thumb.jpg

As you can see, one of the common moves in this area is loco consists seesawing back and forth to get to the yard tracks for their trains. Here is the view looking west, toward Los Angeles:

post-8839-0-71504800-1309098238_thumb.jpg

Here is a signal, almost right under the bridge:

post-8839-0-75455100-1309098357_thumb.jpg

In addition to light motive power sets, there's also a bowl trimmer doubling cuts back and forth into the departure yard. This is usually SD40-2s:post-8839-0-64719900-1309098467_thumb.jpg

I really like the 3111, because it has the short lived Pizza Man slogan.

Over here it means what you guys would call sectional track (I think!)

Β 

Do you mean panel track (prefabricated sections of track)?

I don't think UP is using a lot of panel track - instead they do the traditional ties/ (mostly concrete in this case)/ribbon-rail/ballast method of laying track - Switches (Points) are, however, assembled as a unit, not sure if all are pre-fabed or assembled on site.

Β 

If this long and ongoing MR thread on the UP Sunset Route rebuild works (I think you can view the thread if you are not a Model Railroader subscriber, but you can't post in it), then there are enough images to show what I mean (there are lots of images in that thread, even though some of the older ones show the dreaded red-X image boxes)

I think it was a modelling joke,i.e. UPs track looks like it was made out of model trainset sectional track, switches, curves and straights. In the second pic compare the yard in sectional track versus the mains laid in flexi track ;)

Note the yard switches with their hinged blades.....?

Β 

That is normal practice over here, it also allows the turnouts to be pre-fabricated and delivered on site in two parts. The technical term for such "switches" are "straight loose-heel".

Β 

Here is a photo of rather an extreme example (on a shortline railroad) which is being replaced:

Β 

http://www.bdrry.com/2010%20Track%20A%20Turnout%20RFP%201002.pdf

Β 

Best, Pete.

Archived