Leon

Hi Leon,

Like the latest shots, looking superb. I was in South Wales not too long ago visiting the in laws in Swansea who have just moved back there. Didn't have much time to check out railway stuff though, hoping next time i'm down i can visit Margam and maybe catch a 60!

Cheers

Arnie

I see you did the ratio pulley  in post 1030, the last bit of mine is killing me, the join at the top of the ladder is rashingfashing annoying, it springs out faster than i can glue one side in place then flips and gets caught behind the strips that are meant to hold it in place .... so serious kudos for a nice looking job. Mine may get stamped on before I paint it! And I am meant to give it to my other half tomorrow for his birthday present....got suckered into making it....you have little hands and little fingers....yarr and they be covered in rashing fashing super glue, and I broke two needles getting the string/rope in place.....going to bed before I crush it. Thought I'd look at a layout or two to calm me down. ....stupid magazine showing how easy it looked.......

Does look nice sitting on your layout....sighs......going to bed......depressed now.

Jaz, the glue stuck my fingers faster than the crane many a time... I did not enjoy building it, took a few days and not as easy as it looked on the box. It's not finished as I had enough of it...just sprayed it yellow on placed it on the layout. I'm sticking my fingers together now improving the motorway bridges. Good luck.

Thanks 66, signals on my to get list, not sure what ones, any advice?

Bit of action today, Railfreight 37/5 is used on a coal train whilst a pair of trainload coal 37's rest up on the depot. EWS 66 arrives with more tanks for the docks.

post-5554-0-13210500-1371329947_thumb.jpg

post-5554-0-80779600-1371329977_thumb.jpg

post-5554-0-55651100-1371330006_thumb.jpg

post-5554-0-11577500-1371330031_thumb.jpg

post-5554-0-82078000-1371330073_thumb.jpg

post-5554-0-39148400-1371330376_thumb.jpg

Edited by Leon
  • Like 13

Hi Leon,

Love the latest pics, the layout has so much detail now, it all blends in so well and gives a great backdrop for all your stock. 

Did you get any help on the signal? I am no expert but maybe a two aspect would suit as your not running at high speed, as most thing stop in your yard. If you shunt things past you my also need a ground shunt signal. It depends on how you operate things really, if the tunnel leads to a mainline you may only need the shunt signal.

Cheers Peter.

Thanks Peter, no feedback yet on signals, yes the line to the fiddle yard would lead to a main line. A two aspect I assume is just two colours, ie red stop, green go? It would just need to control trains joining a main line from the Yard, Docks or Depots

Kind regards

Leon

Exit signals from a yard are normally of the 2 aspect , red green variety.

However there are lots of connotations beyond.

May be worth a PM to one if the signalling gurus on here , from memory 66606beast knows such things amongst others.

Thanks Peter, no feedback yet on signals, yes the line to the fiddle yard would lead to a main line. A two aspect I assume is just two colours, ie red stop, green go? It would just need to control trains joining a main line from the Yard, Docks or Depots

Kind regards

Leon

Hi Leon,

Yes I should have said red and green. Though the more I think about it a Ground signal might be enough.

Cheers Peter.

All looking very good Leon, fantastic layout.

Interesting prototype shot of the BOC tank with the steel train, always had one of those tankers on my wish list, good to know it can go with more than 'speed link' style services.

Thanks

Found this interesting steel working including a single BOC tank more than likely from Baglan. I must renumber that metals 37/5 I have to this loco.

The BOC tank is either working from Margam or to Llanwern- they ran to both locations when the British Oxygen plant on site was unable to meet demand for some reason. It's the only photo I've seen of a single vehicle like this; all the others have been of several tanks formed into a freight with other stock, or in a block train.

Thanks 66, signals on my to get list, not sure what ones, any advice?

Bit of action today, Railfreight 37/5 is used on a coal train whilst a pair of trainload coal 37's rest up on the depot. EWS 66 arrives with more tanks for the docks.

Loving the new photos leon.they make your layout look very realistic.

Can i ask how and what materials you used along with what colours you used to make the dirt track/road that goes around the sidings and hut?

Im asking as i am just about to make a similar road on my layout and want it to look the same and as realistic as yours mate.

cheers

terry

Evening all, just a few poor quality shots from the iPad.

A single Cargowagon sits in the Yard. A clear up of the garden has provided some timber for the timber yard, just need some OTA,s for them. VGA stands in he steelworks.

Lastly some advice needed, after seeing Pitbulls new signal it has reminded me that I need one for the exit. I was going to site it at the entrance to the tunnel, I know nothing about signals. I have seen two and three light from Ekon, can anyone tell me which type is suitable for this location?

Thanks.

Excellent sequence of images Leon apart from the last one  - scenic break tunnel? - don't know about poor quality the VGA looks the business.

Ian

oh and a nice filthy faded CARGOWAGGON. :)

Edited by Crisis Rail

Thanks everyone that has commented, Thanks Brian for the BOC info.

Hello

Terry, I have never been happy with the colour of the layout, to such a lenght I have often thought about pulling it all up and starting again, There are alot better jobs on here I would recomend you look at for idea's I tend to rush too much when I should of tested area's until I found what I wanted. Instead I just covered the whole layout in sleeper grime which I now hate.. in an attempt to lighten and add more colour I brushed on some grey weathering powders, I am more happy with the road/track now. I think I have ruined the ballast, I took away they grey stone look and replaced it with sleeper grime brown.

Ian, yes not a great shot, the tunnel is the scenic break into the fiddle yard, still need to backscene the boards around it. It was posted as this is where I was looking to site the signal just behind the buffer although I am not sure it will be visable? More so when a clas 60 is parked up.... It not that close to the yard so unsure if a ground signal will be correct?

Thanks Rob I will give him a poke...

Thanks again all,  Been working on improving the motorways and currently building a gantry to go over it  with traffic info etc.

Trackwork looks great Leon - one thing I do is lightly drybrush the ballast to enhance and detail -  this lightens up the tint then usually oil stains gets liberally blasted over most of it anyway! - as for ripping it up  - heavens NO.

Ian

Its the old Warhammer method! :) say your original tint was sleeper brown mix a shade slightly lighter then wipe off nearly all what is loaded on your brush then dust over the ballast / model enhancing the raised bits. Do a Google for a better description but seriously your track looks very good indeed especially the overgrown unkept look which I seem to struggle with.

Ian

• Like 2

Morning all, I am at last getting around to purchasing a sound chip. I have heard a lot said about Legomanbiffo and have viewed many of his Youtube vids. Has anyone here got any? I am not sure weather to chip my new unchipped Metal 37/5, Hornby Class 56 or 60, they all sound great. Is it also through the DC website they need  to be purchased not direct from Legoman himself?

Many thanks

Leon

• Like 1