Really the title says it all - the Code 70 version, how are the turnouts and track - reliable? Do the turnouts match up with Micro Engineering Code 70 track OK?

Does anyone else think of Sean O'Hara when they hear the name?crazy_mini.gif

Best, Pete.

Hi Pete

I use shinohara code 70 turnouts with ME track, there's are very small difference in height but thats due to tie thickness IMO. They look and work well too. The only annoyance with their code 70 turnouts is the metal linkages that make the switch rails and the frog all one electrically, ok in DC but useless in DCC. You'll need to unsolder the links and cut the frog.

There is a lot of plain track at the end of the turnouts too, I think I cut off about 6 ties worth of track to fit my plan.

All said I like them but would choose ME if they were readily available here in the UK. Close on price.

DCC or non, the thing to consider with Shinohara code 70 is that what's routing power to the points from the stock rails is only the pressure of the points on the stock rails. I'm on standard DC and long since learned that you pretty much have to have an electric switch machine like a Tortoise (or one of the manual equivalents like Bluepoint) that maintains good pressure and also routes current to the frog. I've read, by the way, that cutting the closure rails to make switches "DCC friendly" is a good idea only if you find a particular switch is giving you trouble. Otherwise, the if it ain't broke don't fix it rule applies -- you're adding risks if you cut into rails without the need to do it.

Finally, code 70 track is less rigid than code 83 or 100, and you need to pay more attention to alignment to get good operation with it. If you lay it on cork roadbed, for instance, there's a greater chance that the soft underlay will allow the track to sag, so you definitely need to watch this.

JWB,

Its IMHO good practice to isolate and switch the frog, I've never had any trouble from this but plenty from not isolating it, in both UK and US trackwork. Its also very easy to run a small wire from the stock rail to the switch rails before laying the turnout, again I see it as good practice, I superglue my track before its ballasted straight onto plywood, cork is bad IMO whatever you lay on it.why go to all the effort of getting straight and flat baseboards only to introduce a material that could undo all that hard work.

ME code 70 plain track is very rigid imo it takes a lot of effort to make curves from it, in laying 15' of the stuff I managed to lose 2 ties from the rails. I had no issues with the Shinohara turnouts either.

As regards making points DCC friendly by isolating the frog, if you use modern era stock with very long wheelbases and all wheel pickups you will likely never see a problem, if you utilises small 3 axles switchers plymouths etc etc then you may have problems with the pickups being on the same bits of rails causing a short.

You pays your money etc but thats what I do.

Here's the reason why I asked:

For some reason Code 70 ME track and turnouts seem to be getting harder to find around me - not a problem with Code 83, though.

ME only produce #6 turnouts in either code (I don't want to build my own for this particular project) and I need some "fancy" stuff!

Best, Pete.

Guest jonte

Here's the reason why I asked:

For some reason Code 70 ME track and turnouts seem to be getting harder to find around me - not a problem with Code 83, though.

ME only produce #6 turnouts in either code (I don't want to build my own for this particular project) and I need some "fancy" stuff!

Best, Pete.

Pete,

I don't know if this may be of interest to you, but during my recent quest for suitable track, I learnt of the scarcity of Micro Engineering trackage, however, in amongst all the diatribe, I read somewhere (although for the life of me I can't remember where!) that the factory are due to release a new production of turnouts and track on or around the 28th June. Perhaps it's worth an email to the Micro Engineering site or one of their suppliers to confirm?

Best wishes,

Jonte

I remember someone saying that month;s ago and I pooh, poohed it at the time. Code 83 no problem just Code 70. It would be nice if a larger range became available. It's cheaper than PECO over here.

Mind you that "new" PECO Ho track I've never seen either! It's always out of stock!

Cheers! Pete.

I use Shinohara code 70 and Fast Tracks #4 turnouts, custom built by Cream City turnouts as I didn't need enough to justify buying the jigs. Apart from lacking the spike detail, the latest design is brilliant and wouldn't hesitate to use them again.

Archived