Β 

• RMweb Gold

Well this is a road sign, but then it's also a railroad sign and I took the pic yesterday deep in England. But here you go - a genuine wig-wag in full working order (and in the process of workingblink.gif) on Sir William MacAlpine's private railway in Buckinghamshire (other pics but of British interest will be posted today under UK Prototype).

post-6859-0-01851000-1308566802_thumb.jpg

Although they're not on the layout yet, I used this wiki page Road signs of the US plenty of images in hi res you can download and resize and print out and stick to plasticard.

Β 

One thing you do need to be aware of is that there can be some regional variation of signage, particularly if there are slightly different traffic laws. Highway signage of distances and exits can also show some variation, both in style and in positioning.

Β 

Adrian

Although they're not on the layout yet, I used this wiki page Road signs of the US plenty of images in hi res you can download and resize and print out and stick to plasticard.

Β 

From that site:

Β 

"As all situations are not covered, several states have their own standards in addition to the MUTCD"

Β 

"There are many signs that are non-compliant to MUTCD and/or state MUTCD standards seen in use on public and semi-public roads."

Β 

As in all aspects of the real world, try to get photos of signs in the area you are modeling.

Β 

Adrian

Though not as dramatically as UK road signs have changed, US signs have also changed over the years. Some of the online links listed above provide good examples of highway markers used in the past, but one of the most significant changes to me is the yellow stop sign (eplanatory text is here) that was the standard design in the early 1950s.

Β 

Does anyone have a good link for historical US traffic control signs (not just highway markers)?

There is a fairly comprehensive history of the MUTCD at https://ceprofs.civil.tamu.edu/ghawkins/MUTCD-History.htm

Β 

One thing not mentioned in the wikipedia piece is the recent trend to naming highways and bridges to commemorate various military events or organisations, police and fire department personnel who lost their life in public service and so on. Thus the stretch of US route 1 that passes through Branford is named as the "Branford Fire Department Memorial Highway" to commemorate the amount of time the fire department has spent sorting out the frequent accidents on the road. CT route 146 in town is named as the Edward Ramos Memorial Highway to commemorate a volunteer firefighter who was killed in a Thanksgiving Day fire a few years ago.

Β 

This practice seems to have become more prevalent in recent years and would help establish the period of a layout without being too precise as to a date. The signs are generally rectangular, white upper case lettering on a green background.

I was looking at the responses so far, and it doesn't seem that anyone posted a direct link to the US FHWA MUTCD itself (there are indirect links from the site listed, to be fair), so here it is Why is this important? Well, just like on UK roads, the road markings themselves are often just as important as the signs, and these are definitely included in the MUTCD - lots of info/diagrams/dimensions on stop & yeild lines, lane markings, center-line dividers, pedestrian crossings, RxR crossings, and so on.

Β 

One major difference is that there is no federal specifications for delimiating no-parking areas via curb markings - in fact, the MUTCD states:

"Since yellow and white curb markings are frequently used for curb delineation and visibility, it is advisable to establish parking regulations through the installation of standard signs "

I bring this up because IIRC curb-side double yellow lines are fairly standard thru-out Britian to indicate no parking, where-as in New York City for example it is rare to use colored curbs to indicate no-parking zones (because if this was a NYC standard, some schumck would decide as he is the most important person in the world, he's going to paint the curb in front of his house to prevent people from parking in front of it :rolleyes: ). Some muncipality do use colors to indicate parking restrictions, and of couse handicaped access is a national standard (always blue coloring).

Β 

And besides, it's useful to look at the MUTCD diagrams for, say,railroad grade (level) crossings, and then calculate how much you're going to have to selective compress that lot to fit into the10cm you have allocated on your HO scale grade crossing... :lol:

SLIPPERY WHEN WET seems to have disappeared somewhat....

You know better than that Pete, it went wordless (W8-5):

fig2c_06.gif

So to prevent people from thinking that's a drunken driver deal weaving all over, they append a W8-5P plaque under the sign, giving you the Slipperly when wet, without the Bon Jovi connotations...what I'm wondering about it plaque W8-5cP - 'Excess Oil' ?!? Where on earth are we using that on Public roads - are our tractor trailer truckss throwing Rods left and right? Are our refineries leaking that badly?

You know better than that Pete, it went wordless (W8-5):

fig2c_06.gif

So to prevent people from thinking that's a drunken driver deal weaving all over, they append a W8-5P plaque under the sign, giving you the Slipperly when wet, without the Bon Jovi connotations...what I'm wondering about it plaque W8-5cP - 'Excess Oil' ?!? Where on earth are we using that on Public roads - are our tractor trailer truckss throwing Rods left and right? Are our refineries leaking that badly?

I would imagine these days it really means bitumen since I don't think there's too many jurisdictions where oil is used on dirt roads. In the past used crankcase oil and various kinds of industrial lubricants laced with some very nasty stuff were sprayed liberally on dirt roads in the summer to keep down the dust.

Well this is a road sign, but then it's also a railroad sign and I took the pic yesterday deep in England. But here you go - a genuine wig-wag in full working order (and in the process of workingblink.gif) on Sir William MacAlpine's private railway in Buckinghamshire (other pics but of British interest will be posted today under UK Prototype).

post-6859-0-01851000-1308566802_thumb.jpg

Thanks for posting that. I remember restoring one of those when I volunteered at a streetcar museum. We set it up to work off a push button with some sort of timer circuit so that kids could make the signal work (it wasn't an active road crossing). It was quite a hit with young children.

Notice the battery of route signs at the intersection. Blair Line has these for many states (this is Ohio). Peter North incorporates this kind of thing on his layout to very good effect.post-8839-0-37604200-1308758411_thumb.jpg

Archived