Β 

Having mastered removing the axle retainer from a Bachmann class 66 (and even removed the wheelsets to clean - shock horror), I have the bit between my teeth and want to gain access to the wheel sets in my Atlas MP-15DC. Despite peering intently at both the underside of the model and the exploded diagram, and scratching my head and my a***, I still haven't a clue how to do it without busting anything. Now I imagine (probably wrongly), that it is the same method for all Atlas locos. However, seeing as I have never removed anything from any of them, any guidance would be most appreciated.

Β 

Thanks.

Steve

Looking at mine it looks to be the same as the Athearn and Proto models....the side-frames(with the brake and spring details on them) just pull away...then you can access the 4 lugs on the bottom plate, which unclip( a bit fiddley)...then the wheel sets just lift out. Not a very clear description I know but I'm sure once you get the side-frames off and have a very close unobstructed view of the axle-boxes you'll see how to do it.

Β 

Cheers

Gene

Gene,

Β 

You're right about the sideframes. I bit the bullet and levered and one finally clicked off. However, although there does seem to be four retaining clips I can't see how on Earth one is supposed to access them or what method is best for levering clips open. The wheels still cause some obstruction. I have tried a small jewellers screw-driver to no avail. I do wish they would make these things simpler :angry:

Β 

Steve

I think 2 small jewellers screw drivers inserted from the side..IE: if you hold the loco upside down and look at the bogie from the side you'll see the crack that you need to get the screwdrivers into...its fiddely but can be done

MP15.jpg

Β 

You need to push the little u-shaped brackets on part #990303 away from the lugs on part #990306 that the brackets fit over fit over.

Cracked it! Or rather I managed to do it without cracking it :yes: A very small jewellers screw-driver was the key, so to speak. Access had been the big problem once the nature of the clips had been established. Still very fiddly and nerve-racking.

Β 

Steve

Archived