Β 

What is your favourite North American steam streamliner?

Streamlined steam locomotives of North America  

31 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favourite North American steam streamliner?

• MILW / Milwaukee Road Class A (4-4-2 Atlantic) Hiawatha
    • MILW / Milwaukee Road Class F7 (4-6-4 Baltic) Hiawatha
    • NYC / New York Central J-3A (4-6-4 Hudson) 20th Century Limited
    • NYC / New York Central J-3 (4-6-4 Hudson) Empire State Express
    • NYC / New York Central J1E Commodore Vanderbilt (4-6-4 Hudson) Empire State Express
    • ATSF / Santa Fe #3460 Blue Goose (4-6-4 Baltic)
    • N&W Class J (4-8-4 Northern)
    • SP / Southern Pacific GS-4 Daylight (4-8-4 Northern)
    • PRR / Pennsylvania T1 Duplex (4-4-4-4)
    • PRR / Pennsylvania S1 Duplex (6-4-4-6)
    • B&O President Class 530x (4-6-2 Pacific) Royal Blue / Cincinnattian
    • CPR / Canadian Pacific Royal Hudson (4-6-4 Hudson)
    • New York, New Haven & Hartford Class I5 (4-6-4 Hudson)
    • Nashville Chattanooga & St Louis #535
    • UP / Union Pacific No 2906 (4-6-2 Pacific)
    • Southern #1380 (4-6-2 Pacific) The Tennessean
    • Reading Crusader (4-6-2 Pacific)
    • C&O / Chesapeake & Ohio 490 (4-6-4 Baltic)
    • C&NW / Chicago & North Western 4000 (4-6-4 Baltic)
    • PRR / Pennsylvania Q1 Duplex (4-6-4-4)

This topic is intended as a harmless bit of fun suggested by Old Gringo:

Β 

My favourite U.S. steam streamliners are the C,M,St.P & P. Hiawathas (both the Atlantics and Hudsons) and The New York Central's "Art Deco" J3A's. But then there's the Santa Fe's Blue Goose - that was quite a pretty Hudson too. There's just so many to choose from and what about the Canadian Pacific's Royal Hudsons ? Perhaps, we should have another discussion in the U.S. Group with pictures !???

Β 

What's your favo(u)rite North American Streamliner?

Β 

Tell me what I have missed and I'll add it to the questions. I'm bound to have missed one or two, etc.

• RMweb Premium

Good grief, this thread is an eye opener....and folk say that Bulleid's airsmoothed creations were ugly!

Β 

More shocking for me used to UK outline is the length and wheel arrangements used. 127 feet of 6-4-4-6!!! What were they thinking?

Β 

Was there a 'more money than sense' phase of US loco building?

Aha!

I knew there were more US streamliners!

http://www.northeast.railfan.net/steam17.html - earlier streamliners.

http://www.northeast.railfan.net/steam3.html - later streamliners.

Β 

My favourites of these would have to be the C&NW 4000 series 4-6-4's, rather smart I think!

I should like the C&O 490-495 series, but I just can't!

Cheers,

John E.

Was there a 'more money than sense' phase of US loco building?

Β 

There was a bit of that, but there were also operational considerations, and a bit of experimentation. A loco for the midwest plains (Milwaukee Road, CB&Q) would need to have different characteristics than one intended for both climbing the Allegheny mountains and pounding across flats (PRR), or from one intended for climbing the Rockies (UP). Even the NYC and the PRR had different requirements for locos that were competing between the same destinations (NYC to Chicago) due to the difference in their routes. You do have to look at the locomotives in terms of the context of the line that built them.

Β 

BTW, the poll misses out the various streamline K4s locos of the PRR: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PRR_K4s

Also the PRR Q1 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PRR_Q1

Β 

Adrian

I don't really like any of them. In fact I've just realised that I don't like Streamliners per se

I'm with you. I think it is because they all look like something that Hermann Goering would have given Hitler as a gift - either that or they look like "Plankton" from "Spongebob Squarepants"!!!

Β 

Β 

Best, Pete.

Aha!

I knew there were more US streamliners!

http://www.northeast.railfan.net/steam17.html - earlier streamliners.

http://www.northeast.railfan.net/steam3.html - later streamliners.

Β 

My favourites of these would have to be the C&NW 4000 series 4-6-4's, rather smart I think!

I should like the C&O 490-495 series, but I just can't!

Cheers,

John E.

John,

Β 

wow, great links!! Somehow in the back of my mind I knew I had forgotten those Chesapeake & Ohio bathtubs and should have also thought of the C&NW. (At one point I lived on the old C&NW mainline west out of Chicago and one random day was delighted to see a preserved 50s era streamlined passenger consist tailed with an observation car on the line.)

Β 

Would you like me to add anything in particular to the poll besides the C&NW 4000s?

These monstrosities: Retrofitted streamlined GWR King and Retrofitted streamlined PRR K4 are birds of a feather to me.

Β 

Both of them are a lame attempt to keep up in the PR stakes with the "modern" appearance of streamlining, such as it was in the 1930s.

Β 

Though I have to say, (despite being a devotee of the GWR) the King still looks worse than even the worst US examples. The fact that the tender is emblazoned with the shirtbutton is icing on the cake.

Tell me what I have missed and I'll add it to the questions. I'm bound to have missed one or two, etc.

Clearly I missed a lot - thanks for all your suggestions. We hit the 20 question limit in the poll and I never got to add the modified PRR K4s. I could add a second question, but I think we have a decently representative list at this point It is amazing just how many of these things there actually were.

• RMweb Gold

The Pennsy giants were an interesting attempt to actually move forward design of high speed steam. They figured that by splitting the main drivers they could spread the weight of the cylinders and reduce the reciprocating weight, and consequently track wear, by having smaller siderods.

It didn't work out as well as they hoped but at least they tried something different :yes:

• RMweb Gold

Nah, a "J" on the front of the "Powhatan Arrow" would have all the rest beat hollow !

(Photo on Page 27 of the current MR special edition "Railroads of the 1950s")

Β 

Dennis

Β 

Quite agree although some of their final jobs were something of a comedown but still heading 'The Pocahontas' well into the second half of the 1950s

... a "J" on the front of the "Powhatan Arrow" would have all the rest beat hollow !

Β 

Quite agree although some of their final jobs were something of a comedown but still heading 'The Pocahontas' well into the second half of the 1950s

Β 

The N&W J is a pretty and elegant machine and the 4-8-4 configuration was really impressive for passenger express locomotives. MTH offered a "Powhattan Arrow" set in a recent H0 catalogue. It is not yet available and they are accepting reservations. Though I haven't really looked closely at their coaches yet, with the Milwaukee Road EP-1 Bipolar I'm starting to become a fan of MTH.

Β 

On a related topic, I went with BLI/Paragon for the SP Daylight and am a bit disappointed. So far they have only released the observation car. Like their California Zephyr stock, it is excellent, but I expected them to offer the GS-4 in two time frames to be compatible with both the earlier and later version of the coaches they offer. They have only offered the GS-4 in the later scheme with "SOUTHERN PACIFIC" rather than "SOUTHERN PACIFIC LINES" on the tender. <_<

Β 

The local SP experts around here (where #4449 lives) do say the BLI/Paragon GS-4 is more accurate than the earlier released MTH GS-4.

Archived