Β 

Following the comments on this thread http://www.rmweb.co....__1#entry156423 I decided that since I needed to isolate the siding in question into two blocks anyhow (I'm on standard DC, and even if I converted to DCC, blocks are useful for debugging), it wouldn't be all that much extra trouble to add intermediate signals for the main and siding between the CTC control points. Here is what the new block section looks like in the middle of the siding:post-8839-0-01633600-1308082383_thumb.jpg

The problem is that I worked on the main (the nearer track in the photo) last year, isolated it into two blocks, and added the intermediate NJI signal then (the one to the right in the photo). I originally planned to do exactly the same thing with the siding (upper track in the photo) and add an identical NJI bidirectional intermediate signal. But by the time I got around to working on the new block for the siding and adding the other signal, the simple bidirectional signals were sold out. So I decided on the bidirectional signal you see to the left. I do like these a lot, and if there's any way to justify having the new one here, I want to keep it.

Β 

With these signals mounted on the cabinets, you're forced to take the variations NJI gives you, which seem somewhat arcane: there is a "P" plate on the new signal in both directions. A "P" as I understand it indicates that the signal covers a protective device like a rock slide detector or a high-water detector, so the engineer will know to stop in advance of the rock slide or the flooded track. I assume that the signal has a normal function as well as the "P", but I'm not completely sure how this fits: is a signal with a "P" always absolute, for instance? (But it seems reasonable that you could stop-and-proceed at restricted speed at a stop indication, looking for rocks on the track. . .) Is there any way to justify the indications on this signal vis-a-vis its position on my layout? I can at least dremel off one or both of the "P" plates if I need to.

Β 

The switch just past the new signal leads just to an industrial siding, so it has a manual switchstand, though it will likely have an indicator added to sync it with the signal system.

What is the signal on the left supposed to be?

Β 

I've never seen a signal like that. Maybe its just the angle of the photo but there are three heads and none of them line up anywhere close to a vertical arrangement.

Β 

The P plate is permissive, which makes it a signal that requires a train to reduce to restricted speed but doesn't have to stop at (in many rule books). So a signal with P plate can't indicate "stop". Depending on where you railroad is located, on some roads signals with a number plate can only indicate "stop and proceed" (not stop).

Β 

So on many western railroads in the last 30 years or so, if the signals on the left were all red, a train on the left track wouldn't be required to stop (other than stopping because the signal doesn't seem to match any signal arrangement I am aware of) and if the signals on the right were all red, a train on the right track would stop but then proceed at restricted speed (without needing any further authority).

The signal on the left with three heads has one head facing rear (toward your left shoulder as you view the photo) and two heads, set vertically, facing in the opposite direction. This photo on the NJI site is clearer: http://www.njinterna....com/1073-3.jpg I've seen cabinet-mounted signals more or less like this on BNSF, and photos of similar signals on the CSX ex-CR River Line, where I believe there has been a great deal of re-signaling since the takeover. If the "P" plate is "permissive" that answers some questions for me. I agree that the configuration is strange. On the other hand, it ain't as bad as a work dinosaur, and if there's a way I can use it. . .

Archived