Β 

Mehano Quad Hoppers

Maybe 25 years ago I found a deal at a hobby shop, where the guy was selling the old cheapo Mehano Bethlehem style quad hoppers for around a buck apiece, so I got a lot (maybe 12, maybe 20, who can remember?). I put a lot of them in the paint stripper, but so far have finished only two.

post-8839-0-56531600-1307893089_thumb.jpg

The die work is pretty crude, and I wouldn't take them to a prototype modeler meet, but that's not what they're for -- they're a cheap way for me to bulk out a unit train. The decals in this case are Oddballs, with ACI labels and COTS stencils scrounged from whatever. But also, they aren't the same as the Walthers quads, so they add some variety and seem closer to the MP cars, which haven't been done commercially as far as I know.

Β 

One problem is they're too light, so one car was part of an experiment, where I filled out some of the interior with plaster of paris:

post-8839-0-31128200-1307893247_thumb.jpg

The main problem is that if you try to add a load of coal or stone over the plaster, it will voraciously soak up all the diluted white glue, so the load never sticks. I may try sealing the plaster with sanding sealer in my next experiment.

These are the ones that come with the couplers on the trucks, not on the body, aren't they? Have you moved the couplers? - it's not obvious from the photos. I believe I have a couple of MKT ones in the bottom of a cupboard. As you say, not quite exhibition quality, but they fill out a train ... or a yard.

Both cars have new trucks and body mount couplers. The one on the right I made a new center sill from brass box-section filled with low melting point alloy and new bolsters from styrene. The one on the left has stock center sill and bolsters, but the truck mounting holes have to be filled and a new truck screw pilot hole drilled out.

Here's a view of a single Mehano car done as MP with minor upgrades:post-8839-0-17282300-1308002225_thumb.jpg

For comparison, here's a Walthers quad:post-8839-0-13981600-1308002279_thumb.jpg

Notice that although they have the same number of panels, the Walthers car has a shallower flat spot above the slope sheets, while the Mehano is pretty deep. The Mehano is more like CNW green and MP cars than the Walthers, which is a good option to have. And they do turn into a more or less presentable layout model with not too much work.

Β 

The Tangent cars are different still. At US$30+ a pop, I'm not anxious to get any right now, though. Interestingly, all are Bethlehem Steel prototypes. The differences may have to do with the exact qualities of the coal from the mines each different road served, though once it got hold of all these different roads' cars, the UP has mixed them up pretty indiscriminately.

Archived