I produced an etched body for the CN SD50 (the full-width 'Draper-taper'body) which fitted onto an Athearn 'tunnel-motor' chassis. Sold a few in Canada but the North Americans don't like anything they have to solder. You could glue it but solder construction was actually easier. With the complaints ("you people should supply them ready-assembled") and the time it took to punch out the rivets and fold the body to shape, I wasn't making enough out of it to be worthwhile. My experience was that the British like kits but the North Americans don't.

CHRIS LEIGH

Gads. Wish I'd seen the kit...I've had bought one or two.

And for your experience about British vs North Americans - sadly, the majority of evidence supports your statement....we keep losing decal manufacturers here as well as some kit makers. Westerfield just closed up shop, and we have to beg and plead with Athearn/Exactrail/others to get them to offer undec kits...

I still enjoy adding the Cannon parts and detailing up an Athearn shell ;) Thats much more rewarding than just buying a Genesis and slapping some weathering on it, although obviously the availability of such finely detailed locomotives off-the-shelf does up the ante on the hobby as a whole.

Of course these modern models do make it easier to put together a roster of locomotives at a faster pace without having a whole workbench full of detail-work-in-progress units, and it also means that the extra time and expense is easier to justify for those special cases.

It would be a shame if the super-detailing and kit building side of the hobby was lost completely, but with all these built-up building kits and rtr wagons, it does feel like that is the way things are going.

Tichy Train Group make some good plastic kits. The quality of the injection moulding is very good (it was a step forward when the kits first came out more years ago than I care to remember) though some parts are better replaced with brass. But they can keep you busy for a while and the end result is comparable to today's offerings.

I produced an etched body for the CN SD50 (the full-width 'Draper-taper'body) which fitted onto an Athearn 'tunnel-motor' chassis. Sold a few in Canada but the North Americans don't like anything they have to solder. You could glue it but solder construction was actually easier. With the complaints ("you people should supply them ready-assembled") and the time it took to punch out the rivets and fold the body to shape, I wasn't making enough out of it to be worthwhile. My experience was that the British like kits but the North Americans don't.

CHRIS LEIGH

Chris, you're dead right when it comes to the American view of soldering brass bits together and kits.

I needed the correct style air-conditioner unit for a pair of GE dash 9's I'm building and they are not available anywhere, so I decided to

create my own etch kit for these. They're no complete shell but small parts like these correctly designed to the prototype can make a

huge difference to the overall accuracy of a model, plus there is no soldering required only CA adhesive. The eye bolts are Plano

products, the hand grabs are scratch by me as is the feet on the base. I did this as I know a few of my friends wanted a few and they

said "no soldering". Anyhow, this is what I came up with and I'm plenty pleased.

post-6847-0-92061700-1310389742_thumb.jpg

post-6847-0-78567700-1310389767_thumb.jpg

Cheers, Tony

Chris, you're dead right when it comes to the American view of soldering brass bits together and kits.

Not just brass kits, but any kits, imho. Resin, plastic, doesn't seem to matter any more, what the majority wants is to take it out of the box and drop it right on the tracks. Most of the guys in my model railway club are amazed that I build kits at all, so when I bring a partially completed brass kit, they're just amazed...

That's one of the reasons I've been drawn towards British prototype, the challenge of building the kits...

The exception seems to be structure kits. The laser cut wood structure market seems to be pretty strong, and the level of detail in some of the modern structure kits is just amazing. Of course, the prices reflect that.

I needed the correct style air-conditioner unit for a pair of GE dash 9's I'm building and they are not available anywhere, so I decided to

create my own etch kit for these. They're no complete shell but small parts like these correctly designed to the prototype can make a

huge difference to the overall accuracy of a model, plus there is no soldering required only CA adhesive. The eye bolts are Plano

products, the hand grabs are scratch by me as is the feet on the base. I did this as I know a few of my friends wanted a few and they

said "no soldering". Anyhow, this is what I came up with and I'm plenty pleased.

post-6847-0-92061700-1310389742_thumb.jpg

post-6847-0-78567700-1310389767_thumb.jpg

Cheers, Tony

Those look great! Where did you have them etched? I'm considering desiging some parts (or a whole caboose) as brass etchings, but places to do it seem to be pretty rare over here in the US

I built the Subway on Alpha from the Summit kit, very simple, very strong, very clever - it feels a bit like scratchbuilding a structure except somebody else has done all that tedious measuring and accurate cutting. :laugh:

I wish more kits were like this but people over here keep telling me it's impossible to lazer cut plastic...

The only bits not included that I used on that structure were the rooftop vent (I think Walthers) and the air conditioners on the wall (Bachmann Scenecraft)

• 4 months later...

Archived