steve fay

Thank you all very much but my stay in room D7059 has just come to an abrupt end as they have just cancelled my operation again!!!

Now it's looking very bleak for me getting to Telford!! Looks like it could be early September now.

Thank you all very much but my stay in room D7059 has just come to an abrupt end as they have just cancelled my operation again!!!

Now it's looking very bleak for me getting to Telford!! Looks like it could be early September now.

Oh dear Steve,

I'm so sorry to hear this, it happened to my 11 year old son, a last minute cancellation whilst sitting in the bed waiting to go down. You have my sympathies.

Jinty ;)

Edited by Jintyman

Thing is there is some poor person in a worse condition than me so I won't complain too much!! After 3 years another month isn't going to make much difference

Still on a more positive note I've had some paint arrive so I can carry on with the engine shed

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

There seems to be an awful lot of these last minute cancellations these days, there was a bit on the local news a while back of a woman that had, had several cancellations that the last time she put a dressing gown on over the gown and went straight to the local bbc radio studio, she was interviewed live on the radio. Not surprisingly she got her op a few days later.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

There seems to be an awful lot of these last minute cancellations these days, there was a bit on the local news a while back of a woman that had, had several cancellations that the last time she put a dressing gown on over the gown and went straight to the local bbc radio studio, she was interviewed live on the radio. Not surprisingly she got her op a few days later.

Hi

I will try to answer, hopefully without getting political. In days gone by, when I done my nurse training, we had wards and operating theatres that were not full to capacity. This was seen as being uneconomic, spare staff and resources can be a waste of money. What this spare capacity done was to allow for fluctuations in the public's need of our health service. What has slowly happened is the spare has gone out the window. Now the plan is to fill up the ward and operating time with elective surgery, so should there be no emergencies all the patients will have their operations. Should there be an emergency, some poor nurse has to tell Steve to get dressed and go home so she/he can admit the next bed occupancy (accountant talk for patient).

No thought is given to the patient who has tried to organise their life, not only for the hospital visit but for when they return home. Let alone the additional work dumped on the staff. 

• RMweb Gold

Yes but someone is probably getting paid a lot of money to come up with these daft ideas. No doubt quite a bit of hospital staff time is wasted handling patients for the cancelled ops.  This is what I call the photocopier trick. The accountant decides to get rid of a photocopier on each floor to save money and get a pat on the back. Productivity in all departments is wasted due to staff having to travel up and down between floors, wait at the copier because it is always busy and inevitable other staff have to take your calls while you are away at the copier. I have never come across an accountant who takes the WHOLE cost into account it is always just the bit that suits them.

My sympathies Steve it cannot be easy.

Don

I recall a story from one of the footplate histories I read, in which a mogul was replaced by a prairie tank on a particular route - the theory being that the turnaround time at the terminus could be reduced as it was not necessary to turn the tank loco. The driver wasn't much impressed, so a few strategic fills-right-up at the intervening water cranes ensured that they didn't run out of water, but also that they missed the connections that the turned mogul would have made. Passenger complaints rapidly reversed the rostering decision.

We had a similar issue in a previous employ - a cost-driven numpty director overruled the standard "if you're flying more than x hours, you go business" so we all went economy everywhere - one colleague had a meeting scheduled in Japan, but decided after the flight that he was altogether too tired to attend. Rang customer & apologised. Next available meeting, three days hence. Japanese hotel cost for extra three days far exceeds upgrade cost. Stupid ruling rescinded.

Not just accountants. The latter called himself an engineer. Not putting in print what his team called him...

Edited by Simond

I sympathise with you Steve and with what Clive has said.  When I had my heart bypass a few years ago I was due to go to theatre at 0830.   I was ready to go, in my gown, dosed up with premeds when they told me at 0820 that the op couldn't be done as the theatre staff had had to work late the night before, if not overnight, on an emergency or two, so they couldn't staff the theatre.   Obviously, under the influence of premeds, I wasn't at all bothered (I was a bit later on!) but I had it done 2 weeks later, as they had promised.

As you say, Steve, there was someone worse off that needed it and I did get done soon after.  I hope yours does happen when they say it will. 

Rod

Hello Steve,

I've tried to phone Jody to see how you were getting on! Now having coming on line and reading this I'm so sorry for you. all of this just sounds so s4!t for you I'll give you a bell soon.

ATB

Paul.

• Like 1

Thanks Paul, I did get your message but I was dozing after a rough night sleep, it was a bit late once I woke up so didn't return the call.

Operation is booked for the 3rd of September so Telford is now out of the window which to be honest is my biggest gripe!!! I was looking forward to it this year.

So it will have to be Reading which should hopefully see the MOK 9F ready for collection which would be a nice end to the year.

Edited by steve fay

Back on to the diesel shed & On to painting the individual components, the brick work is BR Bauxite although halfordsred oxide works just as well or a bit of each is even better. Then picking out the concrete lintels image.jpgpost-5983-0-13805900-1437916032.jpg

Whilst the concrete paint was out I gave the concrete hard stand a first coat

post-5983-0-24522800-1437916125.jpg

Edited by steve fay
  • Like 10

Just had a thought, now I have ATC ramps I need the bell sound as a selectable DCC sound option !!!

Andy Jack how about asking Steve at SWD about doing it? Almost every GW loco should have it

Edited by steve fay
  • Like 1

On reflection, it would be easier to have the sound system "under" the ramp, triggered by a magnet on the loco, and the sound dependent on the signal being approached.

This should be relatively simple to arrange, and, as long as the speaker is sufficiently close to the track, should be believable.

Watch this space...

Best

Simon

• Like 4