Bogie Bolster C Stanchion Height

Guest 40-something

Guest 40-something

Hi Folks

I wonder if anyone could tell me the hieght of the stanchions used on Bogie Bolster C's? I have a few Bachmann models with these missing which I'll replace with brass rod

TIA

• RMweb Premium

Hi Folks

I wonder if anyone could tell me the hieght of the stanchions used on Bogie Bolster C's? I have a few Bachmann models with these missing which I'll replace with brass rod

TIA

A while back, I got a nice stock of stanchion stanchion mouldings from one of the Hornby spares retailers - probably East Kent Models.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Well, it's a dark grey I'll give you that. It looks like the earlier dark grey, but with a later box style data panel on it. Bit of weathering and it'll be fine! It's hard to tell from a photo, I mean the wagon deck looks hogged, but it probably isn't. You do need some handbrake levers on it though!

. You do need some handbrake levers on it though!

It might have some. It looks like an early Bachmann reissue of the Mainline BBC, but with diamond frame bogies instead of the GW plateback type. If the rest of the moulding is unaltered, it'll have GW Dean/Churchward pattern levers, not visible in that shot, as the Mainline model was based on a GW build. BR BBCs followed an evolutionary course from the GW wagons but all had conventional lever handbrakes. The grey is a bit on the dark side (not wrong as such, but not the commonest shade), but then so are most Bachy unfitted wagons

• RMweb Premium

Hi Folks

TIA

East Kent Models list :-

X8053 Macaw bogie bolster load securing pins (16) 1.00

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Premium

thanks chaps, I think ill paint it round the panels in unfitted light grey,

so the panel in the centre and the one on the far right, ie before the 14-11 should be painted over?

No - unfitted light grey was later.

The model is correct for the BR steam era - the unfitted grey was *very* variable in shade. Leave well alone!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

so the panel in the centre and the one on the far right, ie before the 14-11 should be painted over?

The marking in the centre is, literally, the centre line marking, so would be there irrespective of livery/period. '14-11' is the tare weight, the panel immediately to its left is the repair data panel which came in with the 1964 livery changes (but was often applied to wagons retaining elements of earlier liveries)

Guest 40-something

East Kent Models list :-

X8053 Macaw bogie bolster load securing pins (16) 1.00

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Thanks John

I've replaced the missing ones with brass handrail wire but Im not too convinced, I'll phone east kent in the morning and order a few packs!

• 3 weeks later...

cheers chaps

Ive been rummaging in the loft in a couple of old plastic boxes weve got which are full of remnents of our old trainset, old locos and station bits and bodies which have been practised on etc.

I only thought we had the one of them, this one being the one I remembered as its been crudded up by my early childhood attempts at weathering which will need cleaning off.I think some white spirit will get it off.

will get round to EM'ing it once I get some wheels and brass bearings etc.

nothing to watch or look out for here is there?

IMGP4697.jpg

cheers

Mike

If I can jump in so as not to start a new thread

I have this which needs new stancions, but wonder if its too late for my period? steam era.

it seems a darker grey and Im not sure on the markings.

BOGIEBOLSTERC.jpg

Michael

There are a few photographs of what could be the prototype for this (although I accept it is an early hybrid model) on my site, including http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/lmsbogiebolster/h2a4d3eef#h2a4d3eef and http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/lmsbogiebolster/h295c4d4b#h295c4d4b [which is in the 1964 livery as BR was short of steel carrying wagons and revamped a lot of quite old wagons, of course well before the end of steam!] - look at the home collection these are in . Notice that only one bogie is braked, so the brake lever is on the right hand end on one side and left on the other - I suspect this goes back to the earlier MR wagons (several of which are in the same collection and lasted to be used for the St. Pancras electrification) which had a handwheel operated brake at one end only.

Paul Bartlett

• 8 years later...