Ships and boats etc, Feel Free to add more!

• RMweb Premium

Hi, Another selection from my uncle's files.

post-6824-0-97343400-1312217714_thumb.jpg

Titled as follows:- The Giant and the dwarf, approaching Dunoon pier, Saint Columba and the little Lucy Ashton,

post-6824-0-90766100-1312218008_thumb.jpg

The Historic Erskine Ferry on the River Clyde.

post-6824-0-39457300-1312218063_thumb.jpg

The ferry King George V approaching Iona.

post-6824-0-02752200-1312218149_thumb.jpg

Loch Ryan from Stranraer, with unidentified ferry.

I hope these are of some interest. All these photos are copyright J M Guest from the collection of E.W.Tattersall.

I'll do some more tomorrow. I've also found another one of Glen Sannox being prepared fro her last journey to the breakers yard.

Jamie

A change from Macbrayne ferries; the Marine Scotland Patrol Vessel 'Minna'. Based in Greenock her usual operational area is the west coast of Scotland.

post-7313-0-32172500-1312223623_thumb.jpg

MPV Minna, built Ferguson's Shipbulders, Port Glasgow.

Jeremy

• RMweb Premium

Hi

3 more of Ted Tattersall's photos for your enjoyment.

post-6824-0-79189300-1312297080_thumb.jpg

Saint Columba in Brodick Bay.

post-6824-0-87898200-1312297117_thumb.jpg

The old Glenn Sannox noted for her bright red funnels and the ryhtmic beat of her paddles-on her last sad journey - to the breakers yard.

post-6824-0-37682200-1312297192_thumb.jpg

Maid of the Loch on her supposed last journey on loch Lomond. There was an emotional leavetaking. A lady was seen to kiss the funnel! but I later heard "The Maid" got a year's reprieve.

Captions as per E W Tattersall.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie,

Many thanks for these - it's always a pleasure to see 'St Columba', regarded by many as one of the finest Clyde turbines and in very good nick up to the end - she regularly raced with 'Duchess of Montrose' (30 years her junior) and won. Her third funnel was a dummy, added when she was bought by Macbraynes in the mid 30s from Turbine Steamers (she was an older fleetmate of KGV - originally named Queen Alexandria) and she replaced the well known and rather aged 'Columba' on the Macbrayne Royal route. Naturally, 3 funnelled liners were in vogue in the 30s (Queen Mary, Empress of Britiain etc) and so she was given the 3rd funnel - known forever more as the mini Cunarder.

Not too sure about the dating of that photo of the Maid - she was withdrawn in August 1981, but lost her mainmast (due to rot) circa 1977.

In this photo she still has her mainmast, which obviously doesn't quite tally.

Thankfully she is now under restoration and it's hopeful that by the end of the Decade she will have returned to steam and passenger carrying service - she has a very professional bunch of enthusiasts looking after her.

• RMweb Gold

Queen Mary at risk!

Just wanted to bring this to everyone's attention..

The ex-Clyde Turbine Steamer, Queen Mary, is up for auction on August 24th. She had been moored as a floating pub / restaurant on the Thames for years (replacing the PS Caledonia, lost to fire in the 70s) but was sold and moved to Tilbury a few years ago, awaiting transfer to La Rochelle for use as a floating restaurant there. That has fallen through, and the Queen is at risk again.

She's structurally sound, but without engines. Built in 1933 and the last of the Clyde turbines, she's arguably as historically relevant as the Waverley. Here's hoping that someone has the space and money for a 250ft plaything, and that she doesn't go the same way as the Clyde-built ex-LNER Humber Ferry, Lincoln Castle, which was so tragically reduced to scrap metal in Grimsby last year.

John,

I saw that mentioned on another website, and it did occur to me that she'd be a fantastic edition to the new Glasgow transport museum, restored and telling the story of passenger ships and indeed Clyde Steamers, in a non operational mode of course.

Alas I fear all that will happen is that she'll simply make one last trip to the breakers, which is bordering on criminal consider how long she's lasted.

• RMweb Gold

Jim -

It's a lovely thought - she'd be a perfect addition to the new Transport museum, and in the most appropriate setting. Dennys pioneered the steam turbine, after all, and the Queen is the last of the line.

Sadly, history isn't on her side. She was offered to the Nation back in the 70s / 80s, IIRC, and that came to nought. I just hope someone steps in before it's too late..

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I got a new photo/negative scanner for Christmas, and I've been trying it out on my 35mm negatives from the 1960s. Most of what I've scanned so far are railway subjects, but here's one of the 'Duchess of Hamilton', taken in August or September 1966:

post-1771-0-99498000-1325534768.jpg

Probably my favourite Clyde steamer, certainly after they rebuilt 'Queen Mary II' with the single funnel, and certainly the fastest. I remember leaving Dunoon on an ABC ferry, we were at the Cloch before 'Duchess of Hamilton' cast off from Dunoon, and she beat us into the pier at Gourock (with some questionable seamanship at the end!).

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I know it's a bit late in the day but if you're ging to call a boat ulgly, at least get it's name right - it's Lochfyne..... :beee:

"Lochfyne" - On it's sea trials in it's finest shipyard grey...

Even Chard couldn't resist 2 x 1,000hp 5-cylinder supercharged Paxman diesel-electrics - and Met-Vic electrics.....

Okay it vibrated a bit.

Though I do love the hint of exhaust coming from the front lum in this shot adjacent to the old Fort William station MV Lochfyne - it was a dummy sitting right on top of the verandah lounge on the promenade deck. Even the (rear) funnel was mainly full of a huge exhaust silencer with the freshwater tanks below.

What a beast!

• RMweb Gold

I was lucky enough to experience Waverley, The Maid and Queen Mary in my time and also this wee beauty!

http://www.flickr.co...rail/411179305/

Dave.

Think we experienced our steamer days at the same time, Dave! My Grandpa would walk me around James Watt dock in Greenock in the winter to see the steamers laid up for the season. I loved the "ABC" ferries, the "Maids" and the Glen Sannox, too.

Guest Max Stafford

That's right. In fact I was on Glen Sannox and Maid of Cumbrae too. The old Coruisk and Largs were about then too. With their bow ramps, they always made me think of old naval landing craft!

I remember when Jupiter and Juno appeared and thinking that they looked very futuristic compared with the older ships!

Dave.

• RMweb Premium

A bit???!!! - people lost fillings on that boat!

I wasn't old enough to lose my filings by then - spent most of 60s at Easter, the Fair, and the September holiday, going to Rothesay (Isle of Man at the Fair) with either Mum & Dad and/or my Grans on so many of these old ships.... Talk about integrated transport systems - we (like everyone else) could walk barely half a mile to the bus stop, a few miles into the town, a train down to Ardrossan, a 6-hour trip to the Isle of Man (Ramsay at first, then via Douglas after) and be in foreign land! (the luggage had went forward by BR a week earlier).... Worst part was the queue at Central and the once that we took the midnight crossing - never again (I was positively green).!

Hi, Another selection from my uncle's files.

post-6824-0-97343400-1312217714_thumb.jpg

Titled as follows:- The Giant and the dwarf, approaching Dunoon pier, Saint Columba and the little Lucy Ashton,

post-6824-0-90766100-1312218008_thumb.jpg

The Historic Erskine Ferry on the River Clyde.

post-6824-0-39457300-1312218063_thumb.jpg

The ferry King George V approaching Iona.

post-6824-0-02752200-1312218149_thumb.jpg

Loch Ryan from Stranraer, with unidentified ferry.

I hope these are of some interest. All these photos are copyright J M Guest from the collection of E.W.Tattersall.

I'll do some more tomorrow. I've also found another one of Glen Sannox being prepared fro her last journey to the breakers yard.

Jamie

HI The ship in the Loch Ryan photo is the Princess Margaret, a coal burner (hence the plumes of black smoke!) built for the Lwrne Stranraer route in 1931; she sruvived until 1961 on the route and was then sold abroad, to Hong Kong.

Colm Flanagan

• 5 months later...

Archived