Cross Street - Urban N Gauge

bmthtrains - David

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Too exhausted with work to anything to the layout at the moment, but I bought a new printer today, and in testing it out, decided to run off some decals to customise a few vehicles for the street scene.

A quick respray of a coach and two vans, and I now have the following:

post-6666-0-21122500-1324411634_thumb.jpg

A nice short project to keep my hand in over Christmas!

David

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Well after a long spell (6 weeks?) without any major modelling, thanks to the annual exhausting marathon that is Christmas at work, I got the layout out again today and have made some pleasing progress.

First up were a couple of important jobs behind the scenes - re-soldering a couple of wires, and joining the freight loop to the main line in the storage area. I can now fully operate the cross-overs and run trains around the loop. I've yet to add the storage sidings themselves, but the entry pointwork is now in place, so this can be done whenever I feel the urge. And actually, there isn't much need for the storage at the moment anyway, its only really on the design in case I wanted to take the layout to shows.

I've also made a start in darkening the 'wings' of the scenic area - the bits visible through the scenic breaks. I've painted what is visible, and started to construct a couple of short card tunnels to help block out the light. This end seems to work pretty well even without the lid on it, as the colour is a good match for the sky:

post-6666-0-65731400-1326382191_thumb.jpg

Next up I've glued the national express coach and the delivery vans I repainted, so the road scenes are now complete. I've also finished the next building - a concrete-clad office block. This was built as the real thing would have been - a central core to cantilever the floors from, with a curtain wall exterior. I need to get some N gauge birds (pigeons?) to sit on the roof here and on a couple of the other buildings. I'm pleased how this has come out, I had to try several goes before I got a concrete effect I was happy with, and it still needs bedding into the scene with some more details around the back.

post-6666-0-48723800-1326382225_thumb.jpgpost-6666-0-26576100-1326382263_thumb.jpgpost-6666-0-41424700-1326382298_thumb.jpgpost-6666-0-66706400-1326382333_thumb.jpg

David

• Like 6

Next up I've glued the national express coach and the delivery vans I repainted, so the road scenes are now complete. I've also finished the next building - a concrete-clad office block. This was built as the real thing would have been - a central core to cantilever the floors from, with a curtain wall exterior. I need to get some N gauge birds (pigeons?) to sit on the roof here and on a couple of the other buildings. I'm pleased how this has come out, I had to try several goes before I got a concrete effect I was happy with, and it still needs bedding into the scene with some more details around the back.

How about a window cleaner on one of those pulley lifts on the side of the building?

Another day off, and another building under construction!

This is almost complete actually, just needs the rest of the roof wall adding. A sort of 1930s/40s block of flats over a parade of shops (this time its a Tesco), I wanted something where I could add some character scenes, so here you can see the man putting the rubbish in his bin on the balcony, and a pair on the roof enjoying the morning sun (not sure they are allowed up there, but they seem to have a key to the roof anyway).

This has turned out to be my penultimate building - I've decided to include a building site rather than another building on the end plot as a means of opening up the view of the road behind. I've mocked up the position of the next building and set up the fences and crane from Ring Road to see how it will look, so now I need to do some proper research on cranes and building sites.

For the crane I want to closely model a real one as I can, so adding a cab, the cantilevered weights at the back etc, and the building site itself needs to be at an early stage of construction and look as convincing as I can get. I've not completely decided on the building next to it, so there is the possibility that this too could be part of the site, and be partially constructed.

After this, the final building will be the small pub at the front opposite the station entrance, with a small beer garden behind, and some derelict land beyond it, completing all the major scenic work, leaving only details to go (TV aerials, extra signs, etc).

Still undecided on pigeons - may look at the Langley gulls and see if they will do.

David

post-6666-0-65873800-1326818584_thumb.jpg

post-6666-0-90477200-1326818596_thumb.jpg

post-6666-0-67421000-1326818610_thumb.jpg

post-6666-0-13066800-1326818625_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Hi David

Looking very good. Where did the wheelie bin come from that is on the balcony of your new appartment building?

I think opening up the view to the road behind is a good idea too.

Here's a thought: instead of a construction site, how about a demolition site? You could still have the crane and other detailing bits, but could perhaps model a building almost completely demolished; with just one wall or end still remaining. You could even depict the interior walls that are visible as in this shot: http://www.flickr.com/photos/trance-elbow/1331270049/ and use the scene to get rid of any old offcuts, bits of left over etch or anything else you want to get rid of!

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 1

Hi Ben,

The bins came from BH Enterprises, the shopping trolleys are from Gold Medal Models in the States.

Interesting idea about a demolition site - I'd not thought about that, and will look into it. Certainly a challenge to model, but I could always have it that one building has been demolished, and its neighbour is still standing but with an 'open' side with sheeting covering it, awaiting a new construction to butt up against it.

In the meantime, a couple of hours work yesterday evening and this evening, and I've made the tower crane. This is my favourite thing about the hobby - deciding you want to model something, having a rummage in the bits box and seeing what parts you have that you can use.

This started life as the DM-Toys crane seen in the photo set above this. When I got it a couple of years ago for Ring Road I imported it from Germany, but its such a great item that its available pretty much all over the place now. Effective as it is though, it looks nothing like a proper tower crane, hence why I've broken it up completely and rebuilt it into this.

The main mast and front part of the arm are from the original crane, the rear half of the arm is from the signal gantry used on Ring Road, while the balance weight is a prefabricated building lightly modified. The cab shape is from the Freightliner gantry crane I used on Westbrook, with a plasticard platform, white metal railings, and a computer, desk and crane operator added. A few extra plastic struts, and the arms from a Kato electricity pylon as the feet, and some printed signs finished it off. I still need to attach the hook and wires (reused from the original crane) as the final touch.

Before anyone points it out, yes the crane is probably far too close to the railway line for safe operation, but I think it looks good, so its staying!

David

post-6666-0-42550500-1326917808_thumb.jpg

post-6666-0-40060700-1326917821_thumb.jpg

post-6666-0-29195400-1326917836_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

That looks really good, goes to show what you can make if you put your mind to it and save bits and bobs. Having a bits box myself it is very nice to have a place to go when you have an idea that you cant buy.

The demo site is a good idea, if we are allowed to have input in what you make, then I would second this idea. :no:

Hi

I have to say that this layout is probably one of the best ones i have seen for modern image, the building work is extensive and looks really great.

The Metro line really brings it all up to date regards to modern life as we see it today...

Love coming back to have a good look at all the work you have carried out...

Your Modelling is second to none,

If I win the Lotto, i'll be intouch for ytou to build my layout to...haha.... I know i'm due the dropon the balls... :sungum:

Great mate, love all of it

Jamie

Hi David,

I really like the construction site idea and the crane is superb. Have you put any thought into what it is that is being constructed (or demolished) in that area? The reason I say that is because if it is a construction site then I would suggest that there would be some sort of foundation that would be below the surface, but still visable. The current development adjacent to Snow Hill station in Birmingham would be a good example of what goes on beneath the ground level (which is still able to be seen due to the fact that the development is incomplete).

I am sure that whatever you do with this part of the layout it will turn out fantastic.

Stephen

Been following with interest, just wondering if the crane ought to have a brace running from the top of the 'spire' towards the counter weight like the one running forwards towards the jib?

the earlier crane looked, to me, like the kind that have been used to build coventry university's new student centre, the cables to support the jib running up, over and down the back to counter weights at the base of the crane, making it smaller and easier to transport, but only capable of lifting smaller loads.