Adam's EM Workbench: Farewell for now

Yep, Sunday likewise. Now you mention it I should probably show him my heavily kit-bashed Sentinel (which works, honest!). Hopefully run into you there.

Adam

Edited by Adam
  • Like 1

And so a bit further on. The extra detail wasn't restricted to the injectors. At the back end you should be able to see the added brake detail and the rear steam heat pipe (the front one will be attached to the body). Terriers hang a lot in a small space at the back. I reckon the brake components are just about to scale and, consequently don't really work with EM flanges: for once, the P4 types would have a bit more clearance. I've had to do a bit of discreet filing to clear said flanges but I don't think it will be noticeable later.

post-256-0-03589300-1416265684.gif

post-256-0-55813200-1416265706.gif

If progress looks quick, don't be fooled, almost all the work was done a year or so ago!

Adam

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I'm reckoning you're copying the chassis compensation idea from the Tim Shackleton book?

Been there, gave up!

Dunno if it was me but I've built 3 terrier chassis and they were all dogs...literally! One of them got cut into small pieces one Sunday afternoon with a pair of tin snips to prevent it causing any more distress.

Became convinced that the Branchlines kit was shorter on one side than the other in the end.

Anyway, I'm sure a man of your caliber won't have any difficulties!

That's right, though the system is very similar to that Mike Edge employs in his kits and having made that work gaining a fully compensated loco without having the faff of setting up 3 pairs of hornblocks and axleboxes I thought it was worth a go. Because of all this mucking about  I was careful to check the rod centres all matched and in turn checked these against the frames and the compensation components so that should be ok, but I'm fully prepared to fall flat on my face. We'll have to wait and see, I've only got 5 usable wheels at the minute!* 

Adam

* And I've had to reject two sets to get that far: curvy spokes being the key problem, the current problem is a bulged centre coming out of the back of the wheel. The centre itself looks sound enough from the front and fits well on the rim, but... These are Alan Gibson (original) wheels and not representative of current production.

Edited by Adam

That would be extremely kind of you Andrew (even to think to look, for that matter). Failing that, I see the current Gibson will be present and I have other things I need to source from them...

Adam

• 4 weeks later...

A couple of projects, part-way through, and just out of the paintshop. The NBL is complete and ready for service, the Clayliner tank has a way to go just yet but the impression is of the finished wagon is on the way.

post-256-0-88330600-1418571541.gif

post-256-0-40914500-1418571560.gif

Adam

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

Back in Somerset for Christmas, two more projects are inching towards completion. The Shocvan has appeared before and is now fully lettered and partially weathered. The decaying and faded ICI fertilizer post is from Hollar Models and I'll probably add another when the weathering is further advanced, but it's a start.

post-256-0-66648300-1419355601.gif

As ever, the lettering is a right old mix of Woodhead (glued on with Klear), SMS and a couple of bits from a Modelmaster (ex-Cambrian) sheet. Once the Testor's Dulcote has gone off properly, I'll find the weathering paints. Below is much longer running project, a Brassmasters GWR Match truck, intended for a D&S crane, well, as an when Brassmasters actually release the upgrade kit for it. The transfers are from Fox (the sheet is a poor example of their output in terms of what it includes*) and are a 'best guess' as regards the prototype, which finished its career at Newton Abbot. I've yet to see a photo taken from closer than a hundred yards or so but a similar vehicle served as an exemplar.

http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/gwrdeptcoach/h1CA67166#h1ca67166

post-256-0-77091000-1419355622.gif

It's entirely possible the real thing was GW grey, re-lettered. Does anyone know? It matters to me...

Adam

• Like 7

Well, that didn't stay clean for very long...

post-256-0-49423400-1419437592.gif

With my first attempt at the same kit which I must have added additional dirt to at some point:

post-256-0-77100200-1419437605_thumb.gif

And finally, dad's kitbashed LMS-bodied example based on a Dave Larkin photo. Well, I say that it's dad's, I dropped it two or three years ago so the chassis is my work from Parkside bits as it was easier than repairing the original (which had axleguards from an ABS CCT - a bit over size).

post-256-0-17008100-1419437624.gif

Adam

• Like 8

A few pages back, I detailed some of the work on regauging a Bachmann 66xx. Dad has had the chance to waft some weathering over the tanks to flatten them back a bit but test running on South Junction found it lacking pulling-power: it was outperformed by a humble pannier, tackling about 15 wagons (or naff all) round the circuit. South Junction is reasonably challenging since one end of the fiddle yard consists of a flying junction with flyunder and flyovers, all curved (about 4' radius in EM) but if a RTR pannier can do better then something is amiss.

A simple regauging effort with Ultrascale wheels meant that the original Bachmann mechanicals were untouched and a bit of bench testing and prodding showed that the lack of adhesion was because the carrying wheel was lifting the rear driver, the driven axle. For those of you not familiar with Bachmann RTR steam locos, what should be a radial truck is actually a sort of sprung plunger in which the axle runs and can flap around all over the place. This is ugly, but does work reasonably well in terms of track holding but with a loss of haulage because the plunger lacks sufficient vertical play. There's not much that can be done about this, but the slot that the axle runs in has a couple of ridges on the outer edges that serve as the bearing surface. The available options were either reworking the radial truck altogether or filing these ridges away. The former seemed like a lot of effort so the latter was tried. This might have caused problems of rolling resistance or yet more play in the system but Ultrascale trailing axle in the conversion set runs inside tube so the outer face of said axle is more or less irrelevant. Did this work?

50 wagons* on the drawhook says yes, it did.

post-256-0-94534400-1419888051.gif

And on the flat:

post-256-0-32283300-1419888089_thumb.gif

Adam

* The wagons were not a scientific selection: sprung etched brass, re-wheeled Bachmann,  whitemetal kits and plastic kits on pinpoint bearings. It was found that 52 wagons made the poor thing slip rather a lot and 54 would probably have stopped it altogether but we didn't try: we can't really take more than about 45 in the yard...

Edited by Adam
  • Like 10

The latest wagon project, the first for 2015, is another mineral wagon and after a good quantity of 'ordinary' 1/108 types I fancied a change and happened upon a picture of P 144303 in part 2 of the Modellers' Backtrack opus on steel mineral wagons. Now, P 144303 was a fairly unremarkable 1/100 built by Chas Roberts for its own hire fleet in 1947 and, unlike some of its earlier sisters, operated all its life on British metals before being withdrawn presumably shortly after it was photographed at Poole in 1967. Somewhere along the line it was partially replated along the sides and ends but the reversed channel solebars were original, if unusual.

All this makes its key distinguishing features - continental pattern 'W' irons (of all things) - the more baffling and almost certainly unique. Body by Parkside, 'W' irons by Ambis Engineering, brakegear by ABS.

post-256-0-74567400-1420233712.gif

They'll be another dozen 1/108s as penance in due course...

Adam

• Like 7

A few little extras for the Chas Roberts mineral; axleboxes, inner vee hangers, blob of epoxy to secure the couplings, that sort of thing...

post-256-0-31890500-1420758441.gif

post-256-0-18390600-1420758424.gif

And, thanks to Hornby's 'Black Friday' (how I hate that term) sale, the Coil J breeding programme has restarted. I think that's up to 7 and one more that will be longer in gestation. More of that anon.

post-256-0-61606000-1420758461_thumb.gif

Adam

Edited by Adam
  • Like 3

Brakegear complete, safety loops from staples, brake levers and guides 'Craig Welsh' via the Scalefour Society public e-shop, vee hangers by Masokits. Several tiny bits of 5 thou', 10 thou' and rod later...

post-256-0-53456900-1421140383.gif

Now it's time for rivets and buffers but the end, so quickly really, is in sight.

Adam

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

....... brake levers and guides 'Craig Welsh' via the Scalefour Society public e-shop .......

OK - so I'm getting senile; which of the products listed here http://www.scalefour.org/eshop/ contains the above, please?

Thanks in anticipation.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Edited by cctransuk

Probably the messiest modelling job I can think of is distressing plastic to make it look like baulks of roughly-cut, ill-used timber. Yes, I know that strip wood is available, but it's expensive and can't be had off the shelf anywhere near here. 80 thou' plastic sheet, however, is in stock and can do the job so if a mess is going to be made batch production is the way forward. Five cradles have been produced all at once; three for the Coil Js in progress, one for the Coil J without a and the last for the final wagon in the rake, a pig iron conversion which will use the remaining Hornby chassis.

post-256-0-02135400-1421398291.gif

The full rake will consist of: 7 off Coil J, 1 off Coil C, one off Coil H and a bogie strip coil. Really- like most other freights in South Wales c. 1968, it should have an EE type 3 on the front but my class 14 or Dad's Western will have to do for the moment, the dedicated brakevan will have to be thought about at some point as well.

Adam

• Like 4

Should anyone else be contemplating this sort of thing, then you might find this picture useful:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/rivercider/6635481867/in/photostream/lightbox/

Note that the Coil Cs - the wagons closest to the camera - have a more sophisticated sort of cradle arrangement than the Coil Js nearer the loco'. So, back to the workbench...

Adam

• Like 1

A little while later, here's the modified cradle for the Coil C. Some strapping and the pins for the moveable bolsters to go and it's done.

post-256-0-19609600-1421417458.gif

Now, what about the rest of the wagon?

Adam

• Like 4