Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

16t minerals

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I'm sure this has been covered before but for diagram 108, and specifically the retro fitted ones, is there a convention on orientation of the morton clutch side compared to the end door?

I think if the direct crank and brake cylinder are nearest to you, the door is typically at the right hand end but ive seen examples of both so it may just have been random?

What I've never seen is the cylinder on the morton clutch side as per Dapols 7mm example as this wouldn't work! I'm in the process of swapping it over hence checking!   

Good evening all,

Just wondering if there are any known pictures of a riveted end door on a wagon? i've had a look through the forum, but quite a lot of broken links. 

Thanks

Edited by caradis

3 hours ago, hmrspaul said:

Thanks but I looked hard at those yesterday and I don't think that helps. But, I was sure I did have a suitable photo so I dug deep into my ageing memory and thought LMS and here it is https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/lmsmineral/e2bba568e

Paul

Ideal, Thanks. 

Your site is usually my first port of call for references, but i hadn't checked the LMS section this time. 

Thanks again. 

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, hmrspaul said:

Thanks but I looked hard at those yesterday and I don't think that helps. But, I was sure I did have a suitable photo so I dug deep into my ageing memory and thought LMS and here it is https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/lmsmineral/e2bba568e

Paul

Like so many other locations, Hitchin was a great place for rolling stock (the engineers' yard especially) - now, sadly, a vegetation-rich shadow of its' former self...

Mark

On 08/06/2024 at 17:42, Hal Nail said:

I'm sure this has been covered before but for diagram 108, and specifically the retro fitted ones, is there a convention on orientation of the morton clutch side compared to the end door?

I think if the direct crank and brake cylinder are nearest to you, the door is typically at the right hand end but ive seen examples of both so it may just have been random?

What I've never seen is the cylinder on the morton clutch side as per Dapols 7mm example as this wouldn't work! I'm in the process of swapping it over hence checking!   

There was a convention when the wagons were built but I would have to dig deep somewhere to find it at the moment. It all went random when the re-bodying took place so check on pre re-bodying stuff.

• RMweb Premium
37 minutes ago, Poor Old Bruce said:

There was a convention when the wagons were built but I would have to dig deep somewhere to find it at the moment. It all went random when the re-bodying took place so check on pre re-bodying stuff.

thanks yes I think we've confirmed the orientation as built and rebodying was well after my period (1957/8 and a couple of mid 60s for diesels).

For the morton fitted conversions I noticed Paul's website suggests 5000 were rebuilt between 1966 - 68.

Does that mean prior to that the only fitted examples were the relatively small number built with 8 shoe clasp brakes?

8 hours ago, sandwich station said:

I didn't know the LMS did 16T minerals. :) 

Starting with a prototype in 1945 616000  D 2106 Lot 1412.

Then D 2108 2,559 built 1946-1947 616001-618599.

Finally in BR days D2134  3.500 M618600-622099.

According to R.J. Essery

That would mean unfitted wagons in bauxite for some time after BR came into being.

Bernard

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, sandwich station said:

I didn't know the LMS did 16T minerals. :) 

A careful search of this thread will probably find chapter and verse, but see for example the post below.  

3 hours ago, Bernard Lamb said:

That would mean unfitted wagons in bauxite for some time after BR came into being.

Bernard

Many more than that, the MoT ones which became the earlier B series minerals were in bauxite or similar. 

Paul

15 hours ago, Mark C said:

Like so many other locations, Hitchin was a great place for rolling stock (the engineers' yard especially) - now, sadly, a vegetation-rich shadow of its' former self...

Mark

All a housing estate now. There was a very low embankment that divided the ECML from the yard and the break to permit the rail access which is approximately central to the site can still be seen. 

Very friendly, possilby because my wife was always with me when we visited and sometimes in a skimpy vest top. 

Paul

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, hmrspaul said:

All a housing estate now. There was a very low embankment that divided the ECML from the yard and the break to permit the rail access which is approximately central to the site can still be seen. 

Very friendly, possilby because my wife was always with me when we visited and sometimes in a skimpy vest top. 

Paul

...I used to spend long summer Sunday afternoons on Benslow Bridge/Lane in my teens in the blue heyday of the mid-70s...

Mark

3 hours ago, Mark C said:

...I used to spend long summer Sunday afternoons on Benslow Bridge/Lane in my teens in the blue heyday of the mid-70s...

Mark

Off topic, but a couple of a slightly more recent views ... 

And of course the new Down Slow to Cambridge Branch flyover gives us additional vantage points.

DSC05232.JPG.3d63d3c98c531bfc3433f1e96902c938.JPG

DSC03390.JPG.49314053697e391bd61192121503b915.JPG

• Like 3